Kits to replace factory CNG/GAS systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kits to replace factory CNG/GAS systems

I have 1998 f-250,I was informed by ford dealership I needed new wiring harness and possibly a new compuvalve and that ford no longer made the compuvalve. My question is : is there an easy install CNG/GAS kit available and/or has anyone out there converted a factory system to a kit system?

Re: Kits to replace factory CNG/GAS systems

I would try to find a used/remanufactured compuvalve before installing another system. The cost of compuvalve would be less than an aftermarket system. You can find compuvalves on ebay or on this site.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Jared..thanks for the reply. Ford quoted me $1900.00 for the wiring harness and I have yet to find a compuvalve. I ordered fords CNG workshop manual from ebay. It was for a 1997econoline but it was the only one I could find. Hopefully the manual will have part #'s in it. I see kits for sale for $1,400.00 dollars but I have not called manufacturer yet. thought I might call a few repair stations in Utah and see if any repair the wiring harness and compuvalve.

Comment

unless your wiring harness has caught fire you should be able to take it out of the truck and cut all of the tape off of it and than check each wire with a vom and find the bad wire and just replace the one bad wire it is a real pain in the rump but not as big a pain as spending 1900 dollers than just tape it all back up and dont buy cheap tape and put it back in keep in mind alot of dealer tecks will tell you it is the wiring harness when they have no clue as to what is wrong rather than spend the time to hunt the real problem down. and when you start working on a problem like this remeber KISS (keep it simple stupid) ie start with fuses something unpluged is there any cng in the truck and not on the gauge crack a line and check you get the idea make your list of things to check with the cheapest firstI have found all the above so dont LOL out of gas at least ten times I have also gotten fed up and just put a impco mixer 425 ?in the airstream and add a lowpressure regulater but this would probley not be legal for on road use but if it is a old farm truck or something like that for off road use than I would think about that good luck

Comment

I've got a brand new replacement compuvalve, but it is for a 1999 Ford F-150/250. I have it as a replacement for my current one (which still runs well). You can look, but compuvalves are very hard to come by these days...

Have you tried to contact the people that say they can work on and/or refurbish used compuvalves? There is a guy in N. Salt Lake (CNG Technologies, Brandon) that does it, and another guy in St. George that says he is very familiar with working on compuvalves.

Comment

It seems to me that a person could put a modern Sequential system on, I have a friend that has done it, the EPA re-certification is no problem since a vehicle over 100K or over 10 years old and considered an OUL (outside useful life) vehicle no certification is required. Jim
            801 427 2284
            CNG Blog younkincng.com
            Jim Younkin
            www.younkincng.com

Comment

I also have a 99 ford f-250 but it runs on LPG....is that what ur's is? if so is ur's up for sale?

Comment

Working...
              X