Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

    Wow. I just read these FAQs and was a little shocked...

    "EPA Certification Never Expires -- False." Well, yes and no. As far as already-converted cars are concerned, it never expires. It only expires as far as installing the conversion on older cars.

    "Converting a Vehicle to CNG is considered ?tampering? and is illegal -- False" Younkin may not consider it tampering and illegal, but the EPA does and more and more states do also. Has any of your 'non-certified conversions' passed a Smog Check in California? Why is Utah considering a state law to make non-EPA Certified Conversions 'legal' in Utah if they already are legal? Also, don't most non-certified kits 'fake' or bypass signals to the ECU thereby 'tampering' with the controls (and failing to light the MIL when certain problems occur)?
    ________
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 05-24-2014, 09:08 AM.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

  • #2
    Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

    The Technocarb kits are or were certified, so they're fine. (responding to another message that doesn't seem to be here any more).
    ________
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 05-24-2014, 09:09 AM.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

      freedml wrote:
      "Wow. I just read these FAQs and was a little shocked...

      "EPA Certification Never Expires -- False." Well, yes and no. As far as already-converted cars are concerned, it never expires. It only expires as far as installing the conversion on older cars.

      Since most all of the EPA Certified conversions are never re-certified or are subjected to "in use" testing the certification expires after the "useful life" of the vehicle according to Marty R. of the EPA. JY

      "Converting a Vehicle to CNG is considered “tampering” and is illegal -- False" Younkin may not consider it tampering and illegal, but the EPA does and more and more states do also. Has any of your 'non-certified conversions' passed a Smog Check in California? Why is Utah considering a state law to make non-EPA Certified Conversions 'legal' in Utah if they already are legal? Also, don't most non-certified kits 'fake' or bypass signals to the ECU thereby 'tampering' with the controls (and failing to light the MIL when certain problems occur)?

      The definition of tampering is removing emission devices or causing a vehicle to run dirty, the act of installing a modern well tuned conversion kit in and of itself is not tampering. There are no statements in the EPA regulations that say converting a vehicle to CNG is " tampering and illegal', you will just not find it. As to why HB 70 is being passed? It will help to safety check all CNG vehicles EPA or otherwise within Utah, other states may pass what they want but local control is always the best.
      Modern sequential CNG conversion systems are stand alone, they don't " 'fake' or bypass signals" in fact many manufacturers produce EPA and Non EPA systems that are identical except for the price. Jim
      Jim Younkin
      www.younkincng.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

        Interesting

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

          Jim
          Have you ever tried converting a stationary diesel or a diesel tractor to a cng dual fuel?
          I am curious if one would run into challenges getting the mechanical governor to regulate the cng flow?
          It seems like a passenger vehicle with the driver using a foot operated throttlewould be a lot simpler.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

            Karl,

            You might want to send him a private message. Jim does visit the cngchat forum, but not that often these days.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

              Originally posted by karl View Post
              Jim
              Have you ever tried converting a stationary diesel or a diesel tractor to a cng dual fuel?
              I am curious if one would run into challenges getting the mechanical governor to regulate the cng flow?
              It seems like a passenger vehicle with the driver using a foot operated throttlewould be a lot simpler.
              nope just use a fogger system as the mechanical governor only sees rpm. when the governor sees the rpm go up from the gas it will cut the diesel back and slow the motor down.if the governor starts searching put a switch on the throttle to shut the gas off at idle. this is what I have on my gmc tractor It has a cummins300 big cam and gets 14 mpg on diesel and 14 mpg on cng so I have replaced 1/2 of my 4 dollar fuel with 79 cent cng

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

                Few points of clarification to the best of my knowledge:

                Tcarb previously only sold EPA certified kits, but once they found out it was not profitable they now sell non-EPA kits. Funny bc they used to literally pride themselves on being only EPA kits... funny how things change.

                Some systems will delete errors and check engine lights... usually the cheap ones. Our system is capable but we NEVER show anyone how to do that. If our premium systems are installed properly and tuned correctly there will not be a check engine light.

                Utah simply took the EPA language out of their $2500 (max) tax credit program. They didnt "legalize" anything. You can interpret that however you want.

                We don't sell in California due to CARB, but what confuses me is all the calls we get from residents there who say they pass their smog test all the time with non-CARB conversions. Do they ask for paperwork or not? I have literally spoke to dozens of people there and none have had issues as long as it passes the bi-fuel emissions test and there is not a check engine light. Weird... (of course they arent getting any tax rebates, but they dont care since it saves them so much money anyway)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: FAQs on Younkin's alternativefuelconnection.com

                  Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  nope just use a fogger system as the mechanical governor only sees rpm. when the governor sees the rpm go up from the gas it will cut the diesel back and slow the motor down.if the governor starts searching put a switch on the throttle to shut the gas off at idle. this is what I have on my gmc tractor It has a cummins300 big cam and gets 14 mpg on diesel and 14 mpg on cng so I have replaced 1/2 of my 4 dollar fuel with 79 cent cng
                  I should start a new thread as this is a topic I would like to hear more about and I am drifting from the original theme.

                  Thanks for the input,
                  Karl

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X