best place to buy a converted 4x4 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best place to buy a converted 4x4 truck

i have been looking for the right truck for while now. i have a couple sites i check regularly but not found what i'm looking for. does anyone know a good site in utah to look? i need a 4x4 work truck hoping for a extra cab or crew cab. and it needs to be a 3/4 ton pick up. i would take a tool box bed truck as well. i know cng is awesome but it seems like a lot of guys selling trucks think they are worth way more then they are.

Re: best place to buy a converted 4x4 truck

I think the only chance of finding that is via auctions of utility and gas company vehicles... I don't think anyone ever made more than 1/2 ton trucks from OEM
    If you can get by with a van then there are plenty 3/4 and 1 ton options... heh just like the one I sold last week

You might consider gettin a 1 ton ford van and chopping the back half of the body off right behind the side doors and then installing a flat or utility bed... you will probably be able to do that cheaper.... though I don't think you can get that in 4x4 converting a van to 4x4 is not that hard. cost wise if you plan on keeping it a long time and have the funds it may be an idea to build exactly what YOU want...
    Go with a Ford or chevy van ans the 3/4 dodge have unibody frames

Comment

Don't know how much truck you want, there is a 4x4 chevy ex cab on e-bay out of utah so it most likely has a non EPA cng kit hung on it. Depanding on where you are beware of what you buying. Its bi-fuel has a boat load of miles on but FYI you can check it out item#{E bay item # Deleted by forum staff , T.O.S. Violation}
      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM. Reason: Removal of referrence to non epa approved vehicle for sale

Comment

i've been watching that one. its already out of my price range. questar sells them sometimes but its been a while since they posted up one that fits my needs.

Comment

thanks everyone for the help. i should have put up front i'm looking to spend 5000 on this truck. i found a guy with a shop and a truck he would convert and sell for around 4000 its an older truck but not too affraid of that. i do wonder if i would get the tax credit on it as that is a big reason i am in a hurry right now. after next week i can take my time looking. but it will save me money the sooner i get it.

Comment

GSA auctions are your best bet for a CNG vehicle but be careful. It seems that the government was the biggest buyer of CNG vehicles due to the alternative fuel mandate that was passed several years ago. Now that E-85 is considered an alternative fuel (in someones alternate universe) the government is buying these instead of CNG, electric and other real alternative fuel vehicles. Many of the vehicles purchased under the mandate are becoming surplus and are appearing on government auctions. You can go to the GSA site, select "fuel type" and scroll down to CNG (dedicated or bi-fuel) and view all the vehicles up for auction. All GSA auctions are available to the public on the internet so you don't have to be present to buy. A word of caution is needed here. A government auction is a crap shoot. They all look good in a thumbnail photo. In the real world some can be stinkers and there is no arbitration with the government after you purchase. Wait until you find an auction near your location with vehicles you are interested in and go to the auction to buy. Figure out what you are willing to pay for each vehicle you are looking at and hold to that figure until you get a vehicle or the auction ends. CNG vehicles are going at very low prices (many times at lower prices then a non-CNG vehicle of a similar year, make and model). Good luck and good hunting .

Comment

I just have a couple of things to add.

There were many 3/4 ton trucks produced. Most CNG Fords are 3/4 ton. A lot of them are called the F-150 7700. The exact same truck was called the F-250 until 1999. There are a few normal F-150s out there, so take a look at the wheel. If it has seven lugs it's an F-250 or F-150 7700. If if just has five lugs then it's a 1/2 ton.

More than half of the Chevy trucks we've sold have been 3/4 ton as well, although I've seen more extended cab 4x4 Fords than Chevys.

If you decide to got the aftermarket route, you most likely won't be able to get a tax credit unless it's an EPA conversion. Most of the Questar trucks have also already had the tax credit taken.

The last 4x4 Crew Cab I saw on GSA went for nearly $10k, so that would still be more than you are looking to spend. Plus it was about 800 miles away from Utah.

Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a 4x4 CNG truck sell anywhere for under $5000.

If you do the $4000 conversion ask to see the tank so you can make sure that it isn't expired. I'd be worried about a conversion that cheap being able to pass safety and emissions inspections. Most of the conversions I've seen around that price range cut a lot of corners.
              www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

thanks for your help guys and gals as the case may be. i did find a truck for 2500. no tax credit but my fuel savings would pay for the truck in 9 months so i may go ahead and do it. its a 1990 and 4x4 but no extra cab. i will look for a bit longer before i jump on it. i for sure want to check out that gov site first.

Comment

Beware expired tanks

Be careful on tank expiration. Most are rated for 15 years, so a 1990 vehicle will likely have expired tanks, creating a significant safety risk to you and others who are refueling at the stations.

If you post the tank size, dimensions, etc I'm sure our community could help you find replacement tanks with some more life on them before you decide to buy the truck. There are a number of qualified installers to assist.

Be safe out there.

Comment

oh thanks for the heads up on an expired tank. that will effect the price for sure. i will for sure check it out before i buy it.
                    is there a way to check and see if the utah tax credit has been used on this truck or any truck that i may look at as that is a big reason for the purchase?

Comment

how can i get an accurate book value on a cng truck? i found one in boise i am interested in but its a little over my price but would be willing to do it if the price is fair.

Comment

well i am on my way to pick up a truck tomorrow. its a 1999 f250 4x4 extra cab with a 5.4L motor and around 140k miles. its a work truck so crank windows and rubber flooring and all but the price was right for 5500. we shall see if its as good of a deal as i hope it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X