Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm "Green" to this sight! 362 miles on ONE TANK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm "Green" to this sight! 362 miles on ONE TANK!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this sight; I have been a GX dealer in Ohio for over 12 years, the first one. I did the winter testing for Honda on a prototype GX back in 1996 and 97. I drove it for 8 months and took notes every day on mileage, refueling and cold weather performance.

Currently I have a 2009 GX as my Company Car I use for education at Schools, Colleges and Environmental events. I recently drove down from Cleveland Ohio, to refuel (fast fill) in Columbus, from there I drove to Lexington KY (NO REFUELING). I had 2.5 GGE in the trunk in a "Piggy back" Tank and got a PERFICT 3,600 pound fill by the owner of the station over riding the ambient temperature switch or something like that. I was able to drive to Lexington from Columbus (190 miles) and back arriving at the Columbus city limits when I ran out of gas 18 miles short of the Alum Creek Public refueling station where I started. I hooked up the piggy back tank, it gave me 3 bars and I made it back no problem to refuel for my trip back to Cleveland. What an Adventure.

I went to Lexington to be a Guest Speaker for the Kentucky Oil & Gas Assoc. I explained to them infrastructure ideas and ways to build refueling stations.

I drove a total of 362 miles on one tank, that according to Honda is in the top 3 best mileage records.

Re: I'm "Green" to this sight! 362 miles on ONE TANK!

Not really fair to compare the mileage with an extra tank and overpressurizing the tanks by overriding the temperature compensation at the station (NOT RECOMMENDED, by the way).
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Re: I'm &quot;Green&quot; to this sight! 362 miles on ONE TANK!

Is it possible for you to post your speech to the Kentucky Oil & Gas Assoc? It sounds as if it would be interesting.

Kentucky is now a CNG-free state. They did have some CNG stations but they were decommissioned a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
        Not really fair to compare the mileage with an extra tank and overpressurizing the tanks by overriding the temperature compensation at the station (NOT RECOMMENDED, by the way).
        I didn't overpressure the tank, it's 100% fair. It took in account the fuel that was in the car. I filled it as you would any car, The reason the pump doesn’t fill the car to an exact 3,600 pounds is because if the temp rises to 90 degrees, then it could expand and blow a valve, but if you are going to drive the car and reduce the pressure right away the danger is taken away. I did not fill the tank past its legal limit of 3,600 pounds so you can drop that. The piggy back tank was not included in the 362 miles driven, I only had that to support me when I ran out and I ran the tank dry (or till the engine stopped), we know it's not totally dry when the engine stops. I was going ROUGE, into a state that had absolutely NO refueling, I needed every advantage on my side I could have, I had ONE SHOT and I wasn't going to get stranded.

I was able to make it back to the refueling station with fuel to spare. I drive my GX's all over where there is no public refueling. This is the first time I ever ventured out to a place with no refueling, AT ALL, and used a piggy back tank to boot. I'm sorry you feel it's unfair, but I don't. Now if I filled it up past 4,000 pounds then I could see your gripe, but to its recommended tank pressure.................not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jenki_putnik View Post
          Is it possible for you to post your speech to the Kentucky Oil & Gas Assoc? It sounds as if it would be interesting.

Kentucky is now a CNG-free state. They did have some CNG stations but they were decommissioned a few years ago.
          I didn't film it in a way I could copy it, but I have pictures of all the miles and me refueling on the side of I-71 north with the piggy back tank, after I ran out of gas and the ODO at 362 miles.

I mostly talked about how to set up a refueling station, setting up a 3rd party Management Company to collect the funds and they can decide who gets the credits, using gas from a well drilled by them (KOAGA), drying it, getting support from the City and State in Grants from Stimulus money, Clean Cities (Louisville) and private backing. Why CNG is always over looked as a transportation fuel and misunderstood by so many people. I went over how CNG is low in carbon, equal in MPG, fewer Oil Changes, Quieter running, less trunk space in a small car, no real sacrifice in a larger SUV or pick up, Fuel cost is less. I went over how CNG Garbage trucks, School Buses, Utility Trucks, City Trucks, Street cleaners, Dedicated route vehicles such as delivery trucks, EMT, Fire Chief, Building inspector cars all are exempt from oil prices. You know common sense, stuff that people just over look.

I don't know how to post pictures on this sight, if someone wants to walk me through it, I will post them.

Thanks for asking and I will be glad to help in any way I can. I have been doing this for a very long time and have had problems here and there.

Comment

The tanks WERE overfilled. You had more in them then they were designed for. Just because they were cooled does not change this. The temperature compensation of the station is a safety measure, to PREVENT the lifting of the safety device. It IS dangerous. It can also NOT be used to accurately represent the mileage capability of the vehicle, which is what seems to be the point of your thread.
            1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
            2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Well Mr. Green Cars welcome to the CNG Chat forum. . .
              '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
              (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Welcome to CNG Chat Mr. Green Cars. I'd be interested to hear more about your experience working with Honda and the prototype GXs.

I'd also like to know more about this piggyback tank. I've sold several GXs with an extra tank installed in the trunk, but they were always connected directly to the stock tank. Is yours removable or is it permanently installed, and you just had a valve closed to use it as a spare tank?
                www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Originally posted by CNG Utah View Post
                  Welcome to CNG Chat Mr. Green Cars. I'd be interested to hear more about your experience working with Honda and the prototype GXs.

I'd also like to know more about this piggyback tank. I've sold several GXs with an extra tank installed in the trunk, but they were always connected directly to the stock tank. Is yours removable or is it permanently installed, and you just had a valve closed to use it as a spare tank?
                  Hi CNG Utah;32144,

It is like a Helium tank, I kept it in the trunk, it had a hose and a turn valve. When the gas in the car ran out, I connected it. Again, I have pictures if someone can tell me how to post them?

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                    The tanks WERE overfilled. You had more in them then they were designed for. Just because they were cooled does not change this. The temperature compensation of the station is a safety measure, to PREVENT the lifting of the safety device. It IS dangerous. It can also NOT be used to accurately represent the mileage capability of the vehicle, which is what seems to be the point of your thread.
                    The pump shut off when the pressure in the tank was 3,600 pounds, that's all it is, I had a little over a half of a tank when I reached Columbus with 160 miles, I topped off to make sure I had enough fuel to do the 380 mile round trip. What else can I say, should I have paid for a TOW from 60 miles south of Columbus, sorry.........I know the limits of the tank, I wouldn't put my self in danger, enough said.

BTW, there was a 2000 CNG Crown Vic there too, they were from South of Lexington, they had to flat bed it there because the guy had no refueling. Has a car, tank is half full from when he bought it, but he can't drive it.................SAD!

Comment

Originally posted by raskell View Post
                      Well Mr. Green Cars welcome to the CNG Chat forum. . .
                      Don't I know you..............LOL! How can I post pictures on here, You know me, computers and me don't mix. I had to use my other email address to get on here.

Comment

Click on the Manage Attachments button when you post next (or click "edit" on one of your previous posts to find the button and upload the photos there)

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                          Click on the Manage Attachments button when you post next (or click "edit" on one of your previous posts to find the button and upload the photos there)
                          Thanks John,

Got it. Check them out.

Comment

I too would be quite interested in your talk that you gave. Do you have a Powerpoint presentation or an outline that you can post?
                            Bob Baldwin
                            2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                            2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Mr. Green,

Scroll down below the Reply window and you should see a Manage Attachments option. You can add almost any file format there. Click on it and a new menue should appear.

I'd really like to see those pictures.

afvman

Comment

Working...
                              X