Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from San José, California

Greetings Friends,

About 4 weeks ago, I clunked my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 2009 Honda Civic GX.

We enjoy our new Civic and it's nice to drive one of the cleanest cars in the world.

I will be actively following this forum. Right now, my main priority is to figure out the best and cheapest way to get XM Radio into the car. My selling dealer wants around $700 parts & labor for the installation. Another competing dealer wants around $550, but they don't sell the GX, so I'm concerned they might not want to work on the car, even though the audio stuff should be the same as any Civic (not counting the speakers)

I'm also interested in the Phill unit, but have some concerns due to the business status of the company.
    Last edited by juanvaldez2; 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM.

Re: Hello from San José, California

Originally posted by juanvaldez2 View Post
    ... Right now, my main priority is to figure out the best and cheapest way to get XM Radio into the car. My selling dealer wants around $700 parts & labor for the installation. Another competing dealer wants around $550, but they don't sell the GX, so I'm concerned they might not want to work on the car, even though the audio stuff should be the same as any Civic (not counting the speakers)...
    Lots of good info on the forum http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Lots of XM compatible head units aftermarket, but you're into the price range you've noted real quickly depending upon what other features you "need." What drove the price in my wife's 2008 audio system upgrade was her wanting a good hands free setup and GPS, and my insisting on having HD radio, but I digress... I don't know of a lower price alternative, but I do believe you can get a LOT better head unit for about the same cost as the dealer satellite radio addition. Personally, I prefer HD radio over satellite (HD has no recurring cost and there are lots of advertisement free stations, assuming you're driving in metro areas)

Don't let the non-GX competing dealer charge you more for the GX install... they have no need to go anywhere near the CNG components.

As you note, rear speakers are an issue... my approach was to "do it yourself" by running the speaker wires along the drivers side doors from front to rear (plenty of room under the plastic trim pieces), then using some spacer rings you have room to install most any flush mount speaker (there's cavity between the rear deck and a tank shield that isn't deep enough to install any speakers I'd want to use without the extra depth you get with ~ 1- 1 1/2 " spacers). Trim rings are available on Ebay for a low price. I'd bet money that you can't get a dealer to install any back speakers for you, but it's really not that difficult, just that you need to be VERY careful around the fuel cell. Good luck
    2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
    Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
    Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
    Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

XM

For around $550 you can get a plug-n-play satellite receiver with a lifetime subcription. It's not as attractive, since you'll have cables and will have to figure out a mount, but it's cheaper, and you can move the receiver between cars.
      I'm using a Sirius Sportster 5, mounted just in front of the shifter on the included suction-cup mount.

Comment

Re: Hello from San José, California

Juan, delight to have you hear!!!

Comment

Or you could pay $65,000 for a satellite dish entertainment system in a 2002 Eldorado CNG-fueled Luxury Party Bus. eBayMotors auction ending 15 March 2016 lists this fully converted bus having 114K miles. This 30 passenger bus comes with two bars, satellite dish, 50 inch TV, two 20 inch TVs, Infinity Stereo system 6 speakers, 4 sub-woofers, all Media adaptable (CD, DVD, AUX, USB, project to Screens). Includes many more bells and whistles.

CNG_luxuryBus.png

Comment

Working...
          X