Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNGchat server upgrade

Hi gang,

Thank you for your patience over the past few days as we migrated the server to a new hosting provider. We should see significantly faster posting and response time.

One small hiccup was the Photo Gallery section... for some reason the thumbnails are not showing up. The photos and albums are all there however so we will keep looking into this and hopefully get that working soon.

Best,
    John Mitton

Re: CNGchat server upgrade

What went wrong?

Obviously, not knowing all of the details, but from the outside it looks like a text book case of how not to migrate a website ...

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Originally posted by jblue View Post
      What went wrong?

Obviously, not knowing all of the details, but from the outside it looks like a text book case of how not to migrate a website ...
      Spoken like a true government IT geek... LOL
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by cnghal View Post
        Spoken like a true government IT geek... LOL
        hehe

Well you know, I really do not like breaking things without a backup plan.

If it were me, I would have first setup round-robin DNS entries for the domain and constructed html redirects on the new server back to the old server. This would accomplish two things: a) when it came time to cut-over to the new server, DNS is a non-issue and b) it gives you a safety net if the new server craters for whatever reasons.

Next, you would do a test export of the database to new server and see if there are any bugs.

When it is time to go live, at most, hypothetically, the site sould only be in the offline "maintenance" for however it long it takes to xfer the database. Once the db xfer has completed, you html redirect from the old server to the new and remove the old server entries from DNS after a week or so if everything is stable. The pre-planning would take longer, but the actual work should take no more than a day or so.

Again, not knowing all of the details, I personally would stay away from a hosting company that gives you vBulletin as clickable application whereby you click a button and it is magically installed.
        Last edited by jblue; 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

We self-install and update our vBulletin, database, etc.

The issues were:
          1. Former hosting provider was going to extort us into a forced upgrade to waaaaay more server than we need.

2. vBulletin license is supposedly keyed onto the domain, so a temporary install is tough without jumping thru vBulletin's hoops to have both running concurrently (or buying another license only to stop using after a few days).

3. We wanted a clean install of everything along with some server security hardening while we were at it.

All's well that ends well.
          Just need to figure out how to turn on the thumbnail photo option...

Anyone see other issues since we re-started?

Comment

hehe

If it were me, I would have first setup round-robin DNS entries for the domain and constructed html redirects on the new server back to the old server. This would accomplish two things: a) when it came time to cut-over to the new server, DNS is a non-issue and b) it gives you a safety net if the new server craters for whatever reasons.

Next, you would do a test export of the database to new server and see if there are any bugs.

When it is time to go live, at most, hypothetically, the site sould only be in the offline "maintenance" for however it long it takes to xfer the database. Once the db xfer has completed, you html redirect from the old server to the new and remove the old server entries from DNS after a week or so if everything is stable. The pre-planning would take longer, but the actual work should take no more than a day or so.

Again, not knowing all of the details, I personally would stay away from a hosting company that gives you vBulletin as clickable application whereby you click a button and it is magically installed.
            Yea what he said

Comment

hehe

Yeah John, but don't planes fall out of the sky if you break something.

Comment

Yeah John, but don't planes fall out of the sky if you break something.
                Actually Hal, depending on what breaks, they will glide and give you time to consider your sins. How high are you flying?

Larrycng

P.S. I haven't heard of any Pipers running on CNG, darn

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
                  Actually Hal, depending on what breaks, they will glide and give you time to consider your sins. How high are you flying?

Larrycng

P.S. I haven't heard of any Pipers running on CNG, darn
                  Larry,
                  Are you aware of how many near misses happen while the computers are running?

As for the Piper, no I haven't heard of any. But I did design an ultralight that will hold low pressure CNG in the wing envelopes, just like they did gas bags on the roof of buses in the 20s and 30s. Think about it, it would have a heavier empty weight than a full of fuel weight.

I think I'll call it "The Hindenburg".

Comment

I think I'll call it "The Hindenburg".

Comment

Sweet John, sweeeet......

Comment

Does the phrase "OFF TOPIC" ring any bells with our moderators?

John, I am experimenting with the Personal CP to see if I can get my email notifications going again.

Has anyone else experienced, or resolved this problem?

Comment

Sorry Curtis,
                          If it went any further, I'd have moved the chatter.

Back on point, I have cleared and saved all my options in my PCP, logged out, logged back in, turned my options back on, saved them and am waiting to see any email activity. I'll let you know if it works.

Comment

Nope, still no email notifications!

Comment

Excellent job on the upgrade guys!! I must say, that this site is certainly one of the fastest that I visit everyday..........

Comment

Working...
                              X