New chat member interested in being a CNG advocate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chat member interested in being a CNG advocate

In the early 1980's, I managed a CNG demonstration project in which police vehicles, refuse collection trucks, and other vehicles were converted to CNG (actually, dual-fuel). The project proved CNG is a viable alternative, but gasoline prices began to fall, and the government incentives to use alternative fuels were eliminated.

I am very much encouraged by the current CNG movement. However, the Pickens Plan advocates converting large trucks to CNG and new passenger vehicles. There is a huge opportunity for conversion of existing private vehicles, but the EPA certification process is expensive, time consuming, and a major obstacle to private conversions.

The EPA representative managing the certification process in Ann Arbor, Michigan recently advised there is a proposed rule change planned for public comment by December, 2009. The changes proposed are unclear at this point but generally are supposed to facilitate more widespread CNG conversions.

Also, while new car manufacturers in the U.S. are building CNG vehicles, they are being sold in other countries. I believe auto manufacturers should be working more aggressively with the natural gas distributors and with firms providing fueling equipment to introduce those vehicles into the U.S. market.

Perhaps they are, but there is little news on that front. Ford actually made a CNG Crown Vic in the late 1990's but that was discontinued.
    Last edited by GaryH; 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM. Reason: typo

Re: New chat member interested in being a CNG advocate

Originally posted by GaryH View Post
    I am very much encouraged by the current CNG movement. However, the Pickens Plan advocates converting large trucks to CNG and new passenger vehicles. There is a huge opportunity for conversion of existing private vehicles, but the EPA certification process is expensive, time consuming, and a major obstacle to private conversions.

The EPA representative managing the certification process in Ann Arbor, Michigan recently advised there is a proposed rule change planned for public comment by December, 2009. The changes proposed are unclear at this point but generally are supposed to facilitate more widespread CNG conversions.
    Current status of federal incentives for conversions of light duty vehicles: NONE
    See http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/AmericaO...ncentives.aspx

Perhaps those knowledgeable in this community can start working on a list of recommended changes, help educate all of us on what's needed, and once finalized, we can submit to our legislators.

Easy for individuals to do at
    http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Action/Pages/default.aspx
    Not sure how this would work for the CNGchat community as a whole. Need a petition to sign?
    Last edited by eloo; 08-17-2009, 09:02 AM.
    White '09 GX

Comment

Working...
    X