Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a Road Trip Junkie

Hi All!

I found this great website after I bought my new white '09 GX.
    Wish I had found it earlier... I'm still waiting for my stickers (but the drive from Irvine to my work in Brea is not too bad most of the time).

I've been stopping at the local CNG stations listed on www.cngprices.com and sure loved those $1.30/gge prices while it lasted (of course, I love the fact the prices are always lower than gasoline). I'm now itching for a road trip to Vegas next weekend. Does anyone know if I need to take special steps in advance, in order to readily fuel up at the Vegas CNG stations? I hate to think Barstow is my last guaranteed fill-up.

Thanks in advance for any road travel tips.
    eloo (from Irvine, CA)

P.S. If I win big, I'd like to get a navigation system put in.
    White '09 GX

Re: Hello from a Road Trip Junkie

Welcome to the board. You need a Haycock Petroleum card to fill in Vegas.

Details are here: http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3
    www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I'm not so sure anymore, can anyone out there verify this? Clean Energy has taken over the stations there, and once the takeover is complete, you can use Visa/MC there, and the Haycock cards will be eliminated.

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...?t=3775&page=3
      1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
      2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I asked my hubby to look into getting a GASCARD since he's already in Las Vegas (he left yesterday with his retired buddies... he's retired and I'm still working - what's wrong with this picture?). Oh well, he did call Haycock Petroleum and spoke with Stephanie, who was indeed very helpful. She said that the North Las Vegas station now takes other cards (Mastercard, Visa too?... I didn't get the specific list). I told him to get some GASCARDs anyways as it's not a good idea to be dependent on one station only.

It looks like 3 of the 5 existing Las Vegas stations should come under CE management soon. See
        http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/0108/11-06-08.html
        Things appear to be moving in the right direction! YAY!
        White '09 GX

Comment

The City of Las Vegas North station on Ronemus has the only 3600 pump, and the pressure is excellent temperature-compensated.
          http://www.haycockpetroleum.com/show...t_fueling.html

Also, you can easily travel up I-15 in an NGV to the Idaho border and even across I-80 as far as Rock Springs Wyoming with Questar's public stations. Details here:
          http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4
          www.cngprices.com

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Guess I'm a little slow on the uptake. I've filled up my new GX at least 10 times now and just this last fill noticed that the Irvine station has both a 3000 and 3600 psi. I just checked and found the GX is 8.03gge @ 3600psi.
            I'll have to do more reading on what difference the 3000 vs 3600 psi pump makes. Any suggestions where to start?
            White '09 GX

Comment

Not much reading required, as it is a linerar relationship.. If you can get in 8 gge at 3600#, then you would have been able to fit 6.67gge at 3000#. Older vehicles (and even new vehicles everywhere else in the world), all have 3000# CNG systems on them. Newer North American cars have gone to a 3600# system, to allow for more gas in the same space. The filling nozzles are designed so that you can use a 3000# station to fill both a 3000# OR a 3600# (though the later will still only be filled to 3000#), but a 3600# station can only be used to fill a 3600# car. This is to prevent overpressurizing the 3000# tanks to 3600#. Until recently, all stations at LEAST had 3000# fills, with most also having a 3600# pump or two. Unfortunately for us that drive 3000# cars, a lot of the new stations are being installed without 3000# stations, leaving us unable to use them.
              1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
              2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Success!

Had a great road trip to Vegas this last weekend and even came out ahead (altho' not enough for a nav system yet). I checked a few CNG stations in Las Vegas. The CNG station at Grand Central Parkway (across from World Market Center) still only takes the GASCARD. The CNG station just slightly north of there (off Washington on A street) does have 2 Clean Energy units (=4 CNG pumps) that take credit cards (I forgot to check 3000 vs 3600). I didn't fill there since I had a GASCARD to use up, so I filled twice at the Ronemus station which is near by brother-in-law's place (it was only $0.70/gge - I provided an update to www.cngprices.com but it hasn't registered yet).

Had a little "fun" trying to use the different hook-up (at night, I couldn't see that the yellow plastic collar needed to be pulled first to release the nozzle). Good thing I had my hubby along... guys seem more adept at these mechanical things.

Next trip at the end of the month - Napa Valley!
                White '09 GX

Comment

Unfortunately, the price on the pump (70ยข) has been the same for several years. The true price is what shows up on your bill from Haycock. Trust the prices on CNGPRICES.COM.
                  It's the same situation with the State fueling locations in Utah and the PG&E stations in California. You pay what they bill you, not what the pump says.

Get a PG&E card for better roadtrips to Northern California (many stations along Hwy 99).
                  2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
                  2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

OK... So don't trust what the pump reads! Is that only in Vegas?

And thanks for the tip on the PG&E cards!
                    White '09 GX

Comment

Re-read about other states billing vs pump readouts on charges. Never mind question about Vegas only.
                      White '09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by eloo View Post
                        Next trip at the end of the month - Napa Valley!
                        You are probably already aware, but many of the stations in Northern California require the PG&E card.
                        http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697

Comment

Thanks! I applied Monday & they said I should get one by Thurs.
                          White '09 GX

Comment

Working...
                          X