Hi all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all.

Hi I'm a senior at UALR and am studying mechanical engineering. We are working on improving the CNG process. I hope to ask some questions here and get some good ideas about how you have converted your vehicles and what you would like to see in new conversion products.

Re: Hi all.

I recommend you look at the fumigation process of adding cng to the air intake of a diesel engine. There are no engine modifications required and the vehicle is not dependant on CNG for its operation. If we can get the EPA to ease up on their certification requirements for these vehicles, we can get the truckers to do it and the truck stops to add CNG fueling stations. If we have CNG fueling at the truck stops, then the public will move to NGV the next time gasoline is expensive. Maybe you could do some exhaust tests on a fumigated diesel engine at different loads.

Comment

Flannelman,
      Welcome to the chat. By "we" do you mean UALR Engineering Department?
      If so, tell us what you're up to in LR and what are your capabilities, lab wise.
      Always good to have a fresh prosective in the group. If you've got anything in particular you'd like to discuss, start a thread in the conversions forum.
      Again, welcome.
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately UALR doesn't have the lab space to do an actual conversion so my partner and I will have to look at possible improvements to the conversion process instead of actually converting a vehicle. We are doing this for a senior design project and the engineering department is really excited about cng conversions. They tend to carryover projects from one senior class to another so whatever my partner and I come up with could be used as a basis for future projects. The universtiy is interested in partnering with Chesapeake Energy on cng research so this is an exciting time to be in the engineering department. Our adviser, Dr. Bakr, really wants us to look into fuel injectors that can be used for cng as well as gasoline so that a car can run on either. He feels this is important since there aren't a lot of cng filling stations yet. I have looked at some diesel applications but Dr. Baker wants us to stay with a midsize (6cyl) car, but I agree with you on the big trucks. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions over the next few months.

Comment

Exhaust tests on a fumigated diesel engines at different loads would be great and cng diesel injectors is the way to go. Westport has a duel fuel cng diesel injector. Gas cng injectors are all ready around. cavaliers and F150 have them. Add active fuel management to a pilot injection diesel/cng and then you have an amazing car or truck. ceramic coat the pistons and heads. Diesel will become popular again due to the efficiency. Get the Truckers on it and the rest will follow,,, What is ULAR? Oh Kool name flannelman

Comment

I think it is Univ. of Arkansas at Little Rock?
            You will want to get a testing exemption from EPA before putting the conversion out on the road. Details attached.

Oh my, this is my 1,000th post
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi again. Been busy for a while so I haven't been around much. UALR is University of Arkansas, Little Rock. Thanks for the heads up on the testing exemption info. I don't think we will be able to test anything at this time. Hopefully others here will build on what my team is starting. We are pretty much laying the groundwork you might say.

Comment

Hello Flannelman in Little Rock, AR

What the University of Little Rock can do to improve the cng industry right here and right NOW is convince the Little Rock airport to open up the private cng site at airport to be OPEN TO PUBLIC for cng refueling. Little Rock is a critical site for travellers needing cng fuel and there are NO public cng refueling sites in the entire state of Arkansas.

That's a shame and actually a knock against former President Bill Clinton as he pushed through funding of airport funds to make Little Rock one of the LONGEST runways in the USA . . . . I think they can handle an AirBus A320 landing in piddly Little Rock !!! But not a single public cng site in Arkansas . . . . come on, that's NOT right!!

Next, add PUBLIC cng refueling in Fort Smith, Branson, Bentonville (home of WalMart), Fayetteville (University of Arkansas), West Memphis (near Tennessee border), and Texarkana. Now that WOULD be helping the cng industry!!
                Last edited by cngacrossusa; 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cngacrossusa View Post
                  Hello Flannelman in Little Rock, AR

What the University of Little Rock can do to improve the cng industry right here and right NOW is convince the Little Rock airport to open up the private cng site at airport to be OPEN TO PUBLIC for cng refueling. Little Rock is a critical site for travellers needing cng fuel and there are NO public cng refueling sites in the entire state of Arkansas.

That's a shame and actually a knock against former President Bill Clinton as he pushed through funding of airport funds to make Little Rock one of the LONGEST runways in the USA . . . . I think they can handle an AirBus A320 landing in piddly Little Rock !!! But not a single public cng site in Arkansas . . . . come on, that's NOT right!!

Next, add PUBLIC cng refueling in Fort Smith, Branson, Bentonville (home of WalMart), Fayetteville (University of Arkansas), West Memphis (near Tennessee border), and Texarkana. Now that WOULD be helping the cng industry!!
                  AMEN CNGACROSSUSA is welcome at my house for dinner anytime. Come over and drive the coolest cng car in America. 2008 Impala, my treat.

Comment

Working...
                  X