Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing worse than a bad case of gas......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing worse than a bad case of gas......

Hi all, thought that would get people reading my post..... Independently own and operate a taxicab service, currently operating a 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis, similar to the Ford Crown Victoria.... I understand that Ford offered the Vic in a CNG model, and I am curious about what is involved in converting my Mercury.

Pros and cons of running CNG? I have read that it is not as efficient, but burns cleaner. Is it any cheaper than running gasoline?

Thanks in advance for any info....

Re: Nothing worse than a bad case of gas......

Don't hold your breath about converting a 95 Grand M.

Gasoline today in MN is $1.84 CNG at my house is $0.64 and Public fueling is $1.15 (3hrs away)

There are incentives for Taxi companies. Ck the tax codes. There is a $.50gge subsidy to start.

To find your home or business gge cost. It is the cost per therm on the utility bill X 1.125=gge. That is for the gasoline blended with ethanol.

Comment

I am concerned about Obama's policies regarding carbon-based fuels and the way things are looking I expect an additional tax of about $1.50 per gallon in the next 6-12 months. Therefore, I would expect any expense in converting my older Mercury to be outweighed by anticipated fuel tax savings....

But that remains to be seen..... Any thoughts...

Comment

As said, don't bet on being able to convert your mercury. It is in a bad spot model year wise, in that it is new enough to have to still meet EPA emissions requirements, and old enough that there are no EPA certified conversion kits available for it. A better bet might be to look at purchasing a factory built crown vic used.

There is also the option of potentially purchasing a new/slightly used Impala, and having it converted with a newly approved conversion kit. A little smaller than the CV/Merc, but still makes an okay taxi.
        1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
        2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

What can I expect to pay for a factory CNG Vic? And what other differences are to be expected in these cars? I know that most take up some trunk space with the tanks....

Comment

Look on E_Bay, I was there a week or so ago and now is a good time, the prices have dropped considerably since a year ago. I was considering a Ford, I was not used to driving a small car. Last car I had besides my Astro cargo van was a Pontiac Bonneville SSEI supercharged V6. I get such good mileage (36+), it's hard to give up.
            BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by Anomaly_VA View Post
              I know that most take up some trunk space with the tanks....
              Trunk incursion, on the stock factory Crown Vic, is actually minimal. Based on the two Crown Vic's I've owned--a 1997 and a 1999--you lose only the space (shelf) above the rear axle. The deep well portion of the trunk remains usuable space.

If the vehicle you purchase has extended range tanks there will be less room. After-market extended range tanks were added to my 1999; I lost most of the usuable space (I kept my full size spare).

TC

Comment

I Built my own fueling station and fill my cars from a gas well on my farm. I have a 97 Crown Vic with extended range tank (about 230 miles) and a 2000 Ford Contour dual fuel. I think the Crown Vic is very trouble free. This one has 155,000 miles and drives great. I have owned it less than 2 years. my wife uses it on 65 mile commute twice a week so it is fine. (No CNG for sale in Pittsburgh PA

I would sell this car if you wanted it for a cab. It has nice paint, and interior and two sets of wheels and tires, one alloy. Every thing works. I llike to buy and sell, am in the car business. reply to Dennis [email protected]

Comment

It doesn't burn as efficiently in an engine disigned for gasoline, perhaps 8.5 to1 compression. It needs to have an engine with a compression ratio of about 13 to 1 to burn efficiently. That natural octane of CNG is over 120 octane, maybe 130, it can use a purpose-built CNG-only engine to reach it's reak efficiency

Comment

Working...
                  X