Hi - Replacing CNG Contour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi - Replacing CNG Contour

I have just joined this forum. I live in Virginia and have been driving a 2000 Contour for the last 8 years or so.

The transmission is now shot, and the mechanic says it will take $2K to fix it.

I was looking into home refueling, and I cannot get a Phill unit for a 3000psi tank.

So think I am not going to fix the tranny, and will replace the car instead, with a used Cavalier or maybe even take the plunge and go with a Civic dedicated.

Any ideas on what to do with my Contour, and where to get a used Cavalier? I was thinking of checking out the GSA auctions.

Thanks.

Oh, and my 4 year old is helping me with this post, and he is the one who wanted me to add all the smilies.

Re: Hi - Replacing CNG Contour

I think you'll have a hard time selling your Contour if it is broken. I honestly believe the Cavalier is the way to go as far as bi-fuel is concerned. With gasoline prices going down, this will only drive the used CNG car market down as well, so a GSA auction car might be your best bet. As far as the 3000 psi filling unit is concerned, the FM4 home refueling appliance is a 3000 psi unit, but if you get a Cavalier, then you can get a 3600 psi filling unit like the Phill or the FM2Q.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Before everyone else gets in here to tell you to push it off the nearest cliff, consider the following:
      1. Why throw out an engine functional CNG vehicle?
      2. Has the compuvalve ever been replaced - if so you are already ahead.
      3. For $2000 to fix the transmission, that could be recovered over time when ga$oline starts climbing again. (Deduct the $2000 from the normal used price).
      4. Have you shopped for bids on fixing it or just replacing the trans with a good one?
      5. If CNG is available locally, why bother with a home fueler?
      Perhaps you could sell it pointing out cost benefits once the transmission situation is resolved.
      You didn't mention overall condition or miles, which will impact any decision...
      Cavaliers are rare as hen's teeth now, as GSA has pretty well cleared them out of remaining hiding places.
      [I am the only one with a 2000 Contour that still runs fine, with a replaced compuvalve].
      Good luck.
      '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
      '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
      FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

I would call around and see if you can get it replaced for less. Try the chains like AAMCO or MAACO, they do a large volume and get a better price on rebuilt transmissions.
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

I was able to find a lower price for a rebuilt transmission. But I am still not sure it is worth the money to fix it. From what I have read here, it will be hard to sell, even fixed.

In response to CNG user:

1 - Why throw out an engine functional CNG vehicle? I don't know what else to do with it if I am not going to use it anymore.

2 - Has the compuvalve ever been replaced? I have no idea what a compuvalve is, much less if it has ever been replaced.

5 - CNG is not available anymore. It used to be, but Washington Gas has closed down, or at least stopped public access to all its stations. There is only one CNG station anywhere close to me, at the Pentagon, and it is 15 miles away. So that is why I am looking at home refueling.

The car is in good condition, and has about 50K miles on it. I bought it new from the dealership 8 years ago.

I really want to do home refueling, and with my homeowners association, it pretty much needs to be the Phill, in the garage rather than outside. So I was looking at trading to something with a 3600 psi tank anyway, and then the transmission blew. So I am very reluctant to put any money into the Contour at all.

Comment

If it has 120k plus miles, the tranny is just the beginning. Part it out, tank and compuvalve will bring you good money. Cavalier is a good sub but a GX is even better if you can make it work in your life style.
            sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
            SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
            2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
            1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
            2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Hi;..I have owned several Contours, as well as Cavaliers, and the Contour is twice the car, in my opinion. Good luck.

Comment

Contour is fine until you get above 100k miles with it. I have sold 30 Contours before I realized what they were and have refused to sell them since, and that was 3 years ago. I have sold well over 150 cavaliers and have personally owned one for 2 years, and I think you have it backwords. Cavalier is twice the car. Granted I do not buy or sell cavs 2000 and older because they are proun to problems but all year Contours are bad in my opinion. The compuvalve located a few inches from the ground on the underside of the engine should say it all . I won't go into the other issues that I have dealt with on contours.

Of the 30 contours we have retailed 85% of them required major repairs before we could sell them. Compuvalve,tranny,engine mounts (engine themselve do fine), a/c, a few that had electrical grimlins.

Of the 150+ cavs less than 3% required major repairs. mass gass (all years upto 2002), low pressure reg (on 2000 and older) 2001 may have been a redesign because they work much better and 1 tank valve
                sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
                SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
                2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
                1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
                2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Working...
                X