Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the Nissan Leaf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about the Nissan Leaf?

I'm considering buying one. I'm wondering what everyone here thinks of it. I'm ok with the range and the battery life as well as the uncertainty over battery replacement cost.

Any thoughts?

Also does anyone have any idea if using the trickle charger (18 hour charge time) impacts battery life in a similar way that the faster charger (8 hours charge time) does?
    Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
    Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
    Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Re: What do you think about the Nissan Leaf?

Realistic range is probably around 80 miles, especially in SoCal where it's warm a lot of the time. It has 1/2 the battery capacity of a Mini-E which gets 100-120 miles per charge with careful driving, so even 80 may be overly optimistic.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

it is aways better to charge as slow as you can and still have the battery fully charged when you need it you do want it to be fully charged as not to causes sulfate on the plates and shorter battery life just as leaving one sit dead

Comment

It won't make a difference in battery life either way. With the Lithium-Ion battery, charging with the slow charger or the 6KW fast charger won't come anywhere close to reaching the rate at which the battery pack in the Leaf can potentially be charged. Compared to lead acid and even Nickel metal hydride batteries, Li-ion batteries have extreme charge and discharge rates. I have driven electric for a number of years and still drive a Rav4 EV. My older Chevrolet S10E's and my current Rav4 EV both use 6KW chargers and other then dissapation of heat near the end of the charge cycle, there is no problem when using the higher charging rate. The batteries in the Rav4 are going on nine years old and still have full capacity. For me, I would find any vehicle that takes 18 hours to fuel to be unacceptable--eight hours is fine, while you sleep to recharge yourself and your vehicle for the next day. Its like the Phill v.s. FM2Q-36 home refueling question.

Comment

If you're in SoCal, give electric a try as I read that 5,000 recharging stations are planned across CA. Shopping malls, restaurants, etc. are planning to get them to woo in customers - - - and recharge might even be free.

Would be great if increase in local driving electric caused demise of petrol, then CNG infrastructure could be installed in some of those dead petrol stations (say at least every 50 miles). :-)

Comment

I haven't really payed much attention to the Leaf. That being said as a commuter I think electric is a very good choice. I can someday see people owning a mix of vehicles. for getting around town I would like one of these. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s.php

Comment

I think the Nissan Leaf represents a significant step forward in transitioning away from gasoline-powered cars. The Leaf won't win any beauty contests and there will undoubtedly be some kinks to be worked out in the early models, but that's the price of progress.

I paid the $99 for a place in line, and $100 for a home charger assessment, and hope to be one of the first in my area to get a Leaf. Range is not a problem as I will use the Leaf for short drives nearby. I'll still use CNG vehicles for commuting and longer trips.

I'll have to get upgraded electrical service to my house, as I have only 100-amp service now and I plan to use an 80-amp dedicated circuit for the home charger from Aerovironment.
              Patent Counsel
              '04 F150 Dedicated
              '11 Civic GX
              '11 BMW ActiveE
              FMQ2-36
              FM4

Comment

Yes I would leave CNG for Electric power. I would buy a Nissan Leaf, but I have a condo and there's no where to put in the recharging station. I don't have a garage. I have a stall, but I don't think I can get 220V out there? I am a previous Nissan owner (95 Nissan 240sx) and that car was great. Very reliable and fun to drive.

Comment

Do the electric utilities give EV owners a break on usage? I typically pay tier 2 rates which are $0.14 per kilowatt hour tier 3 is $0.24per kwh.

Comment

In So. Ca. Edison installed double meters for electric vehicles. I don't remember the rate.

Comment

Originally posted by siai47 View Post
                      It won't make a difference in battery life either way. With the Lithium-Ion battery, charging with the slow charger or the 6KW fast charger won't come anywhere close to reaching the rate at which the battery pack in the Leaf can potentially be charged. Compared to lead acid and even Nickel metal hydride batteries, Li-ion batteries have extreme charge and discharge rates. I have driven electric for a number of years and still drive a Rav4 EV. My older Chevrolet S10E's and my current Rav4 EV both use 6KW chargers and other then dissapation of heat near the end of the charge cycle, there is no problem when using the higher charging rate. The batteries in the Rav4 are going on nine years old and still have full capacity. For me, I would find any vehicle that takes 18 hours to fuel to be unacceptable--eight hours is fine, while you sleep to recharge yourself and your vehicle for the next day. Its like the Phill v.s. FM2Q-36 home refueling question.
                      Your Rav4 EV still has full battery capacity? So your range has not decreased at all? I thought battery capacity decreased as a result of charging cycles.
                      Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
                      Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
                      Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

I am on the pre-order list and paid the $99 reservation fee. Until the 100 mile real world range is reviewed by others I won't be getting one. My commute is 84 miles round trip all freeway, some stop and go. If the car can't do 90+ miles the that's a deal breaker. The price seems fair especially when combined with Federal and local rebates; around $19,000 plus the charger, which should be included with the price of the car in my opinion.
                        -------------
                        moore101
                        2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                        FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

My Rav4 EV still has full capacity. It only has 37,000 miles on it. The Panasonic EV 95 battery used in the car historically has a slight increase in capacity during it's early life which tapers off after that. If treated properly, it appears that it will last in excess of 100,000 miles. On the other hand, time may be against me. Even though they are all operating fine, the batteries are approaching nine years old. Internal impedence, which is a good measure of health of a battery, is starting to rise in a couple of cells but not affecting the range. The Li-Ion batteries that are being used in the Leaf don't yet have a track record that can match that of the older, lower power density, Nickle metal hydride batteries used in the Rav4. Time will tell for both vehicles. I have a Leaf on order, however, where I live is surely not going to allow me to be an "early adopter". I will just soldier on with the Rav4 which has been a very good and reliable vehicle.

Comment

You know that it's probably going to cost a couple thou to install the charger, right? Also, they are tax credits, not rebates.
                            02 GX
                            01 GX
                            03 Crown Vic
                            06 GX
                            Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by jschaub View Post
                              I'll have to get upgraded electrical service to my house, as I have only 100-amp service now and I plan to use an 80-amp dedicated circuit for the home charger from Aerovironment.
                              I talked with Aerovironment today, and they said it would be 30 amps max (not 80) and I would need a 40-amp breaker for the dedicated circuit.
                              Patent Counsel
                              '04 F150 Dedicated
                              '11 Civic GX
                              '11 BMW ActiveE
                              FMQ2-36
                              FM4

Comment

Working...
                              X