My simple math Hybrids vs. CNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My simple math Hybrids vs. CNG

Ok here goes. Hybrid Prius or Civic get roughly 40 mpg (yes they do hybrid owners come out from denial) Ok and I have driven plenty of GX's that also get 40 mpg. Some will be more some will be less, but like I said simple math.

So at 40 mpg's for all players. Gas at roughly $3/gallon and lets just say the average CNG prices is $1.50 (obviously we have to exclude all the CE stations) and hybrid would have to get 80 MPG's to produce the same cost savings as a CNG vehicle.

Tah-dah !
    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Re: My simple math Hybrids vs. CNG

Good Math--however flawed. It's not the Hybrid that is the problem, it is the fuel that is being used to run it. Hybrids work by recapturing energy that would be otherwise lost in decelleration or braking and re-using it to accellerate or climb grades. They work well in urban enviornments and work poorly out on the interstate--Some of the old Insight "hypermilers" took the hybrid components out to reduce weight and gain fuel economy on flat roads). Because they have an addtional part time power source they can have similar performance to a vehicle that has a much larger engine. In the case of the Prius, the engine can operate at it's most efficient speed and also (because of the high torque a electric motor produces at low speed) the engine can use a modified atkinson cycle for better fuel economy. That being said (and maybe your Avatar would agree), a hybrid with a small turbocharged dedicated CNG engine should be able to do your math problem by adding the mpg of the hybrid to that of the CNG vehicle and really come up with some big numbers. I used to own a 2006 Insight and if you did it right you could really get some MPG's out of it--granted this was not the most fun way to drive but imagine if it was burning CNG. This was a personal best for me for 46 miles of driving on a little over a half a gallon of gasoline. I no longer have a hybrid but still have the 2006 Civic GX you sold me .
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah Murphy has it right that current Hybrids don't save a thing. Besides, the Toyota Prius also requires Premium Unlead fuel at higher cost. With my 9 year-old technology 2001 Civic GX here in Oklahoma, I can drive for 4 to 6 cents a mile!!

Someday, the USA will cut the puppet strings that monopoly BigOil has connected to our pocketbooks. Until then, we'll continue to be stuck with lies and deception from all the inter-related parties (including government and government officials) about how "good" liquid petrol (gasoline & diesel) is for the country using the same old fuel injection ICE's (internal combustion engines) and ECU's (electronic control units)that don't allow any reduction in fuel consumption. It's a RIGGED game!!

Comment

Due to the huge price difference between gasoline and CNG (especially in Utah), one would have to get 80 MPG on gasoline to get the savings that CNG provides. I have been driving a NGV since June of 2007 and I have kept track of every fill up and the price of gasoline. I have driven over 72,000 miles since then. Here is what I have:

I drive a 2003 Cavalier.
        When compared to 30 MPG on gasoline, I have saved $4,152.
        When compared to 50 MPG on gasoline, I have saved $1,504
        When compared to 80 MPG on gasoline, I have saved $14.25

In the summer of 2008, when gasoline was $4/gal, I was saving 11 cents per mile when compared to 30 MPG on gasoline. When compared to 80 MPG on gasoline the savings is only 2.7 cents per mile. Over the almost three year span, I average 2.9 cents per mile on CNG and 9.1 cents per mile on gasoline, that is 6.2 cents per mile savings.

When someone makes a gasoline car that gets 80 MPG, then I will consider gasoline as a fuel.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

You all use the wrong units. Its not mpg that is important, its mp$ that counts

Comment

Simply put, the least cost vehicle has the lowest overall Cost Per Mile (in case of Civic GX in Oklahoma - - that's around 4 or 5 cents per mile only counting fuel cost). Now, factor in that my used 2001 Civic GX was only $7,000 compared to $29,000 that I'd waste on a new Prius (maybe $18K to $20K used with 70K miles to compare "apples-to-apples" with GX), then my lifetime Cost Per Mile blows the Prius away. Factor in what those replaced batteries in Prius cost, and again Civic GX is outright winner. Further add in that Civic GX is SULEV and it's lifetime emissions are better than ANY internal combustion engine ever built to date!!

Until Toyota brings back the Camry CNG into production, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Recently there was Ford Crown Vic (dedicated cng) for sale that had 370,000 miles on it and still going strong. Would like to have input from Civic GX owners as to what their highest known mileage on vehicle they've owned . . . . bet it's in 400,000 to 500,000 miles or more range. With proper transmission service, a Civic GX might break 1 million miles.

There is reason that GM doesn't want to produce an electric car, or an excellent cng car like the Civic GX . . . they simply last TOO long !!!
            Last edited by cngacrossusa; 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X