My Clean Energy Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Clean Energy Rant

In a number of posts I have defended Clean Energy as an important partner in expanding the use of NGVs. I have two Honda GXs and fuel them at Clean Energy stations in Southern California. Sure I would like a lower price than 50 cents under gasoline, but I understand they need to make a buck. And, overall Clean Energy has continued to lose money. It has never shown a profit.

But here is my rant.

Today I had a critical meeting in Los Angeles. I only had a quarter tank because the Sand Canyon station wouldn't give me a good fill. I stopped at the station off Euclid Avenue, and the pumps were not working. My third attempt was in Long Beach, where half of the pumps were out of order, but some were working.

OK, I am an early adopter. I am willing incur some inconvenience in order to refrain from buying fuel from places like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Venezuela. But give me a break. I see repair technicians at Clean Energy pumps all the time. I wonder whether the industry is ready for prime time.

Clean Energy can ignore my rant, but here's one more insight. When we made it to the Long Beach station (on fumes), my wife turned to me and said, "OK, I've had enough. You're not buying that new Honda CNG this Fall." And for the first time, I thought she might be right.

Re: My Clean Energy Rant

Originally posted by tomdotstar View Post
    .. my wife turned to me and said, "OK, I've had enough. You're not buying that new Honda CNG this Fall." And for the first time, I thought she might be right.
    Somebody should study the negative economic impact that spousal intolerance has on GDP.

:P

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Home fueling sways WAF in your direction. I not sure buying a car that's been manufactured for 12 years makes you an 'early adopter'.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

When 95% of the people I talk to don't believe that I drive a car that doesn't use gasoline or diesel, I think that makes all of us early adopters!

Comment

You can only tell if we were early adopters after there is a massive wave of people who start using CNG. I don't think that will happen. "Global Warming" has moved the momentum away from any technology which releases CO2 (no matter how much sense it makes in the meantime), and CNG is one of those technologies.
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Watch the news tomorrow on the "Bloom Box". It's new fuel cell that uses NG to produce electricity.

This is just another alternative for use of NG for energy. If NG finally gets the attention it deserves, we might find that we were first in the wave.

Comment

Just a follow up. Today I went to the CLNE station at John Wayne Airport. The 3600 was down and I was stuck with the 3000.

(At some level I am just talking trash, since I was too impatient to wait for the other pumps that were being "bogarted" during 50 gge fill ups by Waste Management.)

But that makes 4 stations in two days. None are performing at 100%.

Is this a statistical anomaly? Or are we hitting the aging of a less than robust fueling infrastructure?

Geez! Italy manages to fuel 500,000 NGVs. Do they have better solutions, or do they just relax with a fine Chianti and some fava beans?

Comment

Working...
              X