Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG Generator

I finally did it......

Thought about it a long time because it seems a bit expensive and wasn't real sure about how it would work.

But, I converted my Coleman 5 kw portable gasoline generator to natural gas - tri-fuel actually, as it can still run on gasoline and is supposed to work on propane as well. Havn't tried the propane yet.

A power outage before Christmas got me motivated. Since I don't own a car that uses gasoline, it is a bit of a headache to store gasoline, and it goes bad.

Well, I figured I don't lose power all that often, but I have never yet lost natural gas. Now as long as I have NG, I can have power.

The generator was a little harder to get running on natural gas, but once it was, it seemed to hold loads just fine. I might put a new plug in it and try setting the gap at 0.020 as recomended to see if that helps starting - but I am generally happy so far.
    Last edited by Larryect; 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM. Reason: typo

Re: NG Generator

Can you tell us more about how you converted the generator?
    02 GX

Comment

Re: NG Generator

Larryect,

I've done a similar conversion on a small Honda gasoline engine to propane. There is a company that I used to rejet the carburator and IMPCO has a regulator available for household gas lines that makes it pretty simple.

How did you do it?

afvman

Comment

Re: NG Generator- starting up

On starting up , the regulator used on my tri-fuel is a "Beam", and has a button to dump a little gas through before starting cold. Without this , it would take several tries to get it running on ng or propane. Does your regulator have this ?

Comment

Purchased the kit from here: http://www.propane-generators.com

The Type C kit places a ring in front of the carburator that has a venturi in it which pulls the gas from the regulator. For starting and purging air from the lines the regulator has a manual button to feed gas. This method does not modify the carburator at all. The air cleaner is extended the distance of the ring. The regulator is upposed to handle propane as well, so you would just set up a propane connection before the regulator to use it as a thrid fuel.

Comment

Larry,

I installed the same conversion kit on my 3.5 kw generator. See link below:

http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....Fuel-Generator

I love it. I have taken it camping. I am just waiting for the power to go out.
            Jared.
            Mountain Green, Utah
            2003 CNG Cavalier
            2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
              Larry,

I installed the same conversion kit on my 3.5 kw generator. See link below:

http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....Fuel-Generator

I love it. I have taken it camping. I am just waiting for the power to go out.
              Thanks for the link. I thaought there was an earlier discussion, but I couldn't find it. A lot of good information there.

It did not seem like it took too long to get my kit. My generator is 9 hp and I wanted to hook it near my NG Bar-b-que which is quite a ways from my meter. So, to reduce flow issues as much as possible, I used 3/4 inch hook up hose I purchased from the same company. The 6 ft hose and 3/4 inch quick disconect probably added about $115 to my cost. I did end up with plenty of fuel flow.

Comment

Working...
              X