New format for this board....Hmnnnn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New format for this board....Hmnnnn

Hmnnnn, not quite sure I like this format yet? May be I got too used too the older format, I'm giving it time to see how it goes.

Re: New format for this board....Hmnnnn

Hi c2sox,
    We are migrating to the new vBulletin 4 which will plug a number of potential security holes and (hopefully once the dust settles) provide us with a much better user experience. There were a lot of problems with instability owing to the third party "portal" which wrapped around the forums. This portal provided nice little boxes to put polls, links, etc. but was not completely integrated into vBulletin and was a source of frustration for those who work behind the scenes in keeping CNGchat operational 24/7. With this new release vBulletin actually has its own portal, so we will get the good ol look and feel back up soon. Stay tuned and thanks everyone for making this the best place on the net for natural gas vehicle information and discussion.

Comment

Keep up the great work, I'm just glad we have a place to go to for information and to chat with like minded folks

Comment

The .png that I just posted in a thread was auto-converted to .jpg and it messed up the resolution in the process. Can you please prevent that from happening?

I also tested the sub-forum glitch I was having and it went away.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

So have things gotten so bad around here that we have to be subjected to animated ads? Australian love and AfroIntroductions? Game card ads? Seriously?

At least with the Google text ads, they can be ignored.
          Attached Files

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Seems all change is a little painful.......Let's give a few days to work out the bugs.

This fourm is a lot cleaner than most

Comment

We appreciate everyone's patience as the dust is setting on this software upgrade.
              As for the ads, the mighty Goog is slowly figuring out this is not a dating and personals web site. Those links are already starting to disappear this morning.

Comment

How hard was the migration process? Were there a lot of template changes? I've got a vB forum to migrate.

Comment

Hi echamberlain.
                  It was pretty straightforward with all templates and hacks coming right over, excepting we had to extract ourselves from the MKPortal interface and (hopefully soon) recreate the wrap-around with vB's new Content Management System. The CMS is powerful and similar to Joomla's design scheme. If you want details on the tech side of the install process and our experience send a PM to our web guy (and a terrific son-in-law) "Spencer Mefford"

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                    As for the ads, the mighty Goog is slowly figuring out this is not a dating and personals web site. Those links are already starting to disappear this morning.
                    At the risk of sounding like a complainer, could you please remove the google ad from being placed in someone's first post?

I ask because it forces a reader to think about two separate things right off the bat. Conveyance of information should flow without an abnormal interruption and if a post is 5 lines or >, that is at least 5 times someone is subconsciously interrupted. And for what? Mercury Hybrid's? CNG can almost be classified as an esoteric discussion because even Google's adsense is having a hard time finding something relevant.

If ads must be presented, a model to copy is how radioreference.com shows its ads. One Google ad at the top, a sponsored link showing something on ebay interspersed throughout the thread and then a Google ad at the bottom. I would suspect that there would be a higher probability of a click through for something on ebay related to CNG as opposed to .. o, I don't know ... LNG station construction, perhaps?

And we all know how relevant Gay and Lesbian chat is ....

Attached Files
                    Last edited by jblue; 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c2sox View Post
                      Hmnnnn, not quite sure I like this format yet? May be I got too used too the older format, I'm giving it time to see how it goes.
                      I agree with you, Sox, this format is ok, but nothing special..At least the speal checker works...

This forum must in the top five based upon the following image...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                        Hi echamberlain.
                        It was pretty straightforward with all templates and hacks coming right over, excepting we had to extract ourselves from the MKPortal interface and (hopefully soon) recreate the wrap-around with vB's new Content Management System. The CMS is powerful and similar to Joomla's design scheme. If you want details on the tech side of the install process and our experience send a PM to our web guy (and a terrific son-in-law) "Spencer Mefford"
                        Thanks for the info.

FYI, we found the best click through rates on ads were ads placed below the navbar, between the first and second post, then header.

Comment

A couple of days without a computer and see what happens. Dose this board have a last post option?

Comment

Yes, click on "What's New" at the top.
                            Originally posted by cngmike View Post
                            A couple of days without a computer and see what happens. Dose this board have a last post option?

Comment

Dat is an excellent feature! We sure are an active forum, with over 4 billion posts....

Comment

Working...
                              X