Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blownoutsparkplug.com -- has anyone used them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blownoutsparkplug.com -- has anyone used them?

http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com

I like the upfront quasi-descriptions of the engineering that went into the design of their product and the testimonials are extremely impressive.

Any thoughts on the matter anyone?

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Re: blownoutsparkplug.com -- has anyone used them?

Is this seriously a common problem in Ford's? I've seen sparkplug holes stripped due to corrosion or crossthreading before, but never one blown out of a cylinder head, sounds like a poor design. Why not just use a heli-coil instead?

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post
      Is this seriously a common problem in Ford's?
      Yup. Ford only put 4 to 5 threads in the head and a torque spec of 14 ft lbs on the plug. So they loosen over time and eventually eject. As soon as I got my van I should have given it a once over, but I didn't and a plug ejected while my wife was driving it.
      Why not just use a heli-coil instead?
      Based upon comment after comment about how the helicoil's fail, I do not want to risk it. Plus, since I have never attempted an on engine sparkplug thread repair, I am not even going to pretend that is something I could do. If I had the willpower, I would have pulled the head off myself and done a repair on the bench.

But I don't. So here we are.
      Last edited by jblue; 09-29-2009, 12:10 PM.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

More info on the topic ..

http://www.f150online.com/forums/820716-post9.html

Comment

Local garage just charged $302 to do the 2nd plug back on my Son's Explorer with the 4.6.

Comment

I just went thru a mechanics tool catalog the other day, to my surprise, there was an entire page on solutions to the modular engine plug problem.
            I know fleets have always had a "just a matter of when" attitude toward this problem. Seems cylinder #3 is the most often culprit.

I am also not apt to trust any solution that is done while the head is on the engine, as I have heard of several people doing this. With the tight tolerences in the modular, any piece of metal left in the cylinder could do some serious damage.

To R&R (remove & replace) a set of heads on a modular engine takes 16 hours, according to ALLDATA. The shop we use for headwork does helicoils, and has not had any problems with them holding.

I'm kind of curious what you're actually getting for $800.00.
            Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by cnghal View Post
              I'm kind of curious what you're actually getting for $800.00.
              In talking with them and from the pictures on their website, essentially you get a custom machined tapered, as opposed to non-tapered, insert installed (FAQ #22 and picture #18) and a bore scope (FAQ #32) inspection of the cylinder during and afterward to make sure it is clear of shavings (FAQ #25).

This all came about because as I was fueling in Stroud, OK a dude in E350 van rolled up for fuel and during the course of visiting I mentioned my van. He told me that his popped a plug too and that his wife found these guys on the net. He said he was very skeptical at first but ending up going with them and I think he said 60k later all is good and has nothing but good things say about the workmanship.

*shrugh*

It sure is a lot of money for something that I would prefer to do myself. However, a quick cost-benefit ratio analysis of the time I would spent on the job versus my desire to actually pull the head multiplied by the I-don't-have-a-real-shop factor is starting to make it look really good.

The kicker here, and I would assume this to be true for most people, is if the craftsmanship and quality of work is superior so that you trust your problem has really been fixed, then whatever the cost of the service is becomes a quasi-subjective discussion. The final plus that I can see is a bore scope inspection of the remaining cylinders to ID any other potential problems.

Still .. ugh. Turning loose of the money. It's like asking me to shoot my dog.

... if I had a dog ..

Last edited by jblue; 09-30-2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Ford has had a serious problems with those plugs. On our fleet of 97-2004 F-150's, 4 out of 7 trucks have blown out a plug. One while I was sitting at a stop light at idle, with less than 10,000 miles on it. Ford warranty fixed all of them.

It also happens on some 5.4's and 6.8's too but not as common as the 4.6. I saw one head that was sectioned and it was very clear that the cylinder in question had fewer spark plug threads than the others.

This has happened all over the country, on gasoline, LPG, and CNG. Its not the fuel, its the head. Dont let anyone (Ford dealer) tell you that they have never heard of it.

Franz

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post
                  Is this seriously a common problem in Ford's? I've seen sparkplug holes stripped due to corrosion or crossthreading before, but never one blown out of a cylinder head, sounds like a poor design. Why not just use a heli-coil instead?
                  A lot of the Ford 5.4L & 4.6L have this problem. The threads for the spark plugs end up pulled out, usually from being loose. Napa sells a repair kit exclusively for this.

Comment

In my opinion the timesert 5553 kit is the way to go. I have not heard of any repeat failures or problems with metal fragments in the cylinder. http://www.timesert.com/html/triton-install.html

Comment

just use a heli coil bump the motor over to where the ex valve is open than hook a air compresser to the tail pipe should be at least 15 or 20 cfm this will blow the metal fragments out I also grease the tap beats pulling the head have done this many times and not just on fords

Comment

Originally posted by jblue View Post
                        http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com

I like the upfront quasi-descriptions of the engineering that went into the design of their product and the testimonials are extremely impressive.

Any thoughts on the matter anyone?
                        Over two years ago "Blownoutsparkplug" saved the day for me!

I was traveling to California and had a spark plug blow out on Saturday. On Monday we had the truck towed to a Ford dealership. Ford said they could repair the blown out plug by replacing the head or repair the failed plug threads (Heli-Coil) with no guarantee because the fix would eventually fail again.

Fortunately for me we found "Blownoutsparkplugs" on line. I happened to catch David Mahlmeister at home on Monday. Rather than have my truck towed 120 miles to Santa Ynez to be repaired, David drove (2 hrs) to the Ford dealership in Anaheim with all of his equipment to repair my truck. He picked it up and drove it to Cypress and fixed the failed plug and replaced the other spark plugs. Dave returned The truck to me that evening . Dave saved the day for me!

All I had to do was make arrangements with Dave over the phone! He took care of everything else! The total cost was $1000 and the repair was guaranteed forever or my money would be returned. I was expecting $4K-$5K and lost time from work.

Considering the situation, things could not have turned out any better thanks to David and the service provided by Blownoutsparkplug!!
                        Last edited by F250SD; 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

so i just bought a f250 5.4v8 and a few weeks later it has popped the nightmare rear spark plug. maybe these guys can fix it to the point where i wont have to dread this happening again.

thanks for the info

JBlue, if you see this, did you end up using them to fix your van? or whats the status?

Comment

Originally posted by heartbroken View Post
                            JBlue, if you see this, did you end up using them to fix your van? or whats the status?
                            I did, and I am very pleased!

I'll post some pictures and more details later. Right now I just wanted to respond to you post. Give them a call and setup a time to get your truck fixed, you will not be disappointed.

Comment

Yes! they saved my truck. you should definitely use them! It's all guaranteed and its the cheapest possible solution. It only takes them maybe an hour, repair manual says it should take 16 for this repair-- so even if you tried to do it yourself the cost per hour difference alone makes it worth it.

If you still think its expensive they have a waiting list for another job to pop up in your area to cut the transportation cost.

highly, highly recommended - even if your plugs haven't blown yet (its such a common problem that having them put their parts in before you get stranded one day only makes sense!)

THANKS FOR THIS THREAD ALL!!
                              Last edited by heartbroken; 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X