Energy From Ocean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy From Ocean

A major portion of the earth is comprised of the ocean and the water bodies. The ocean water carries tremendous amounts of energy within itself. Owing to the realization of the ocean power, there has been a huge rise in the ocean energy investment. The energy present in the ocean water is in three forms: the tides, the waves and the ocean water temperature variation.

The energy from the tides can be converted into electricity through tidal dams and ocean current. The tides, which are caused by the gravitational effect of the moon on the ocean surface, carry a great amount of force. This tidal energy can turn turbine fans and generate electricity.

Waves of the ocean also carry energy, which is estimated to be as large as 2-3 million megawatts. This is captured using point absorbers from the ocean surface or from the pressure fluctuations below the surface of the water.

The third form is the ocean water temperature difference. The difference between the temperatures of the ocean water carries energy which can be used for electricity generation. The more is the difference in temperature, the more is the energy generated using this difference.

Re: Energy From Ocean

They were talking about tidal and wave action generation of electricity in San Francisco bay about 5 or 6 years ago. We need diversify our energy sources to reduce energy independence, especially in the area of zero emission generation.

Larrycng

Comment

Overall, yes, there is a LOT of energy in the tides.. and there are already tidal energy collectors at the most efficient spots in the world... there are some, like san franscisco, that would not be near as effective, but still probably worth it.. As for wave energy, yes, because of so much shoreline on the ocean, there is a large bulk amount of energy, however, it is so sparse, that it is incredibly inefficient to harvest. The mouth of the Rance river in France is about the only decent location, and that is because of it's high tidal swing, combined with a nearby large reservoir for energy storage. Keep in mind, Rance was built in the 60's.. and has just recently finished paying for itself...
      1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
      2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewGower View Post
        A major portion of the earth is comprised of the ocean and the water bodies. The ocean water carries tremendous amounts of energy within itself. Owing to the realization of the ocean power, there has been a huge rise in the ocean energy investment. The energy present in the ocean water is in three forms: the tides, the waves and the ocean water temperature variation.

The energy from the tides can be converted into electricity through tidal dams and ocean current. The tides, which are caused by the gravitational effect of the moon on the ocean surface, carry a great amount of force. This tidal energy can turn turbine fans and generate electricity.

Waves of the ocean also carry energy, which is estimated to be as large as 2-3 million megawatts. This is captured using point absorbers from the ocean surface or from the pressure fluctuations below the surface of the water.

The third form is the ocean water temperature difference. The difference between the temperatures of the ocean water carries energy which can be used for electricity generation. The more is the difference in temperature, the more is the energy generated using this difference.
        2 to 3 megawatts what per acre per sq mile I am sure not for the earth as a 3megawatt plant is a toy in the grand sceam of things one thing to remember back in the 20s who whould have thought you could darking the skys with soot as the usa was pooring tons of it up the stacks the sky is so big what happens when the tides stop or the wind slows down there is no free ride when it comes to power you cant make it and you cant destoy it you can only convert it if you take power from any thing you will have to pay for it and I dont mean in cash that is mans rule but gods rule is absolute you will pay the earth shall wobble to and fro as a drunkard is it conected I dont know but be feared my friends could it be to much power has been pulled from the world and it aint spinning as fast as it should and i t gos to wobbleing I dont know it is just my thought just like a top as it slows

Comment

i agree with your statement. There is no free lunch when it comes to energy production. When I hear scientists discuss the methods of their madness when it comes to large scale energy production, they seem to only think with horse blinders on. I wish all humans thought of developments outside of the vacuum that they live in. The old saying holds true even for renewable energy. For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction. i still feel that any species that could possibly be as inefficient as the human one deserves to make itself extinct. Modern science presumes that as intellect and technology continue to advance that we will somehow be able to escape the consequences of our actions and inactions. I think 180 degrees opposite to that line of thought.

Comment

Working...
          X