more fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more fuel

I had a thought I know scary how about we get a trailer and mount a small genset 1000 watt? and a 40 gge tank than hook hp the genset to run on cng witch should be legal as tradesmens tools as dot tells me that I can have up tp 50 gallons of fuel on my lowboy to run the pump and genset under tradesmens rules by than when one takes a trip just hook up the trailer and have a jumper hose when you get low just stop and hook the jumper hose and as long as you had the tank mounted properly I dont see any more risk and if one built a cage around tank it could have less risk than the tank in the car that is sroundedby tin ok start shooting holes in my thoughts

Re: more fuel

I think there are provisions for storing fuel in a trailer in NFPA 52 already. No need to go through the convoluted path of a generator, just for 'permission' to store the gas. There is also the option of just hauling 'bulk gas cylinders'. around with you. Just have to meet DOT hazmat requirements. I don't think it's vehicular fuel until it gets into the vehicle, or is otherwise attached to it.
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Just checked the 2005 Draft NFPA 52 document, and it does say under the CNG section:

6.5.10 Where a fuel supply container is located on a trailer, the fuel supply line shall contain an emergency breakaway device designed to retain CNG on both sides of the breakaway point.
      There is also a mention in the Fueling station and stationary storage section that states:
      8.1.2 Mobile refueling vehicles, temporary trailers (with or without tractors), and other means of providing vehicle refueling or onsite storage shall be subject to the same requirements as a permanent refueling or storage installation.

Comment

the deal with tradesmens tools is like if you hual your lawn mower and saw or genset to run saw you are permited to have up to 50 gallons of fuel for said tools with out dot happy crap now who would say anything if you were to be towing your lawn mower and got low on gas and stoped and dumped5 gallons out of a can that was sitting on your trailer in your car same thing other than as long as you have the right hose it is much safer to transfer cng than to be pooring gasoline I was not thinking of leaving the hose conected but that is a thought but than I think you would have to comply with dot for mv fuel tanks where trades mens tools are not regulated by dot

Comment

Cowboy
          Do you know what a 50GGE trailer would cost? Just wondering.

From time to time I wonder if an "NGV tour of the west" with temp fueling stations at set points, might be news worthy. It would be fun to tour up to Oregon from SoCal but thre is one long leg from NoCal into Oregon that is the show stopper. I haven't approached CE, Honda or Trillium, but wondered if they might not join in. On a related note I noticed that some sort of border to border Mexico to Canada Hydrogen vehicle tour was going to take place.

Chris

Comment

I think a 42 dge was about 5000 last year when I was thinking of putting the esi motor in my white and my rollback I am out on the road right now when I get home I will pull the notes and give the price I think it was 120 inchs long and23 inch diamater but I aint sure on the size It will be a few weeks till I get home

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
              Cowboy
              Do you know what a 50GGE trailer would cost? Just wondering.

From time to time I wonder if an "NGV tour of the west" with temp fueling stations at set points, might be news worthy. It would be fun to tour up to Oregon from SoCal but thre is one long leg from NoCal into Oregon that is the show stopper. I haven't approached CE, Honda or Trillium, but wondered if they might not join in. On a related note I noticed that some sort of border to border Mexico to Canada Hydrogen vehicle tour was going to take place.

Chris
              The great thing about those border to border and such hydrogen runs, is they are basically followed all the way by a mobile fueler, being fueled by diesel. Nice.

Comment

The Idea that you have has already been done. There was a professor from UCRs C-CERT program that had a Hydrogen powered Cobra with a fueling station on the trailer. If I remember correctly, he needed this setup to run at Bonneville Salt Flats. Also you can transfer fuel from the trailer to the vehicle while the vehicle is underway as long as you follow the requirements in NFPA 52. I would definately have reciepts for the fuel in the trailer storage system to verify that Federal road tax has been paid or you could end up in quite a jamb if you were pulled over and the officer saw that connection to the vehicle. In addition you may want to check the combined total fuel load that a class C operator can transport as i believe that it is limited to 300 gals combined total, whether the fuel is powering the vehicle or not. Driving without a Hazmat endorsement and commercial license is one hell of a fine. I would make sure that I had all data printed up before I made a road trip with that amount of fuel to prevent improper interpretation of the law. DOT in NM is cracking down hard on anything they can to finance the short falls in govt funds. I have been toying with the idea of creating a CNG mobile refueling unit that could be upfitted to tow truck operator vehicles. I may make a prototype for my service truck and test it for awhile to see if the demand is great enough to mass produce. Would people be willing to pay for this service rather than being towed to a fuel station?

Comment

Working...
                X