Thinking of geting a car gps unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of geting a car gps unit

Any recomendations on brands and models ? . I'm not looking for an in-dash unit. Surface mount is just fine with me. I was at BestBuy today and the salesmen don't know crap about the products, except trying to push extended warranties.

Re: Thinking of geting a car gps unit

I like using my lap top and have software for gps I got it at wallmart I think it is much better as I have a screen that I can glance at and see rather than trying to see a 2x3 screen and having a wreck I think I payed 59 dollers for it and it comes with a antena that sticks to the window and plugs in to the usb port I understand all gps units use the same software so if you buy a whole unit the only thing to look for is that it comes with a cord and software that you can plug into your computer and logon to there site and update for new roads and one that you like ease of use and color( pink )LOL

Comment

I currently have a Magellan that my wife purchsed at Costco. It works well and I thought the price was fair. There are some photos of it on this site mounted in the "tach hole" where it works very well (and is some what out of sight from outside the car looking in, and is in the shade too). I am switching to a Garmin 665t for all of the features it provides (Bluetooth, 3d, freeway lane direction signs, and lifetime traffic, and other features that I probably will never use.) You can load Europe in it, which you can not do with the Magellan. Go to Amazon and pull up the Garmin 665t and click on "more about this product". The reviews on Amazon and several other sites are mostly positive. I have programed in a ton of cng locations, so with a few clicks I can get quick directions.

Cowboy, did you test your GPS the way you did the cng tanks?
      Last edited by scott; 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Depends on the "features" you need. I always buy the cheapest Garmin when I need a GPS. The Nuvi 200 series works great, gets you there, fits in a pocket and has an internal battery. It's also very low cost, so much so that when it's time to upgrade the map in a couple of years, just give it to a friend and buy a new one for yourself .

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
          I currently have a Magellan that my wife purchsed at Costco. It works well and I thought the price was fair. There are some photos of it on this site mounted in the "tach hole" where it works very well (and is some what out of sight from outside the car looking in, and is in the shade too). I am switching to a Garmin 665t for all of the features it provides (Bluetooth, 3d, freeway lane direction signs, and lifetime traffic, and other features that I probably will never use.) You can load Europe in it, which you can not do with the Magellan. Go to Amazon and pull up the Garmin 665t and click on "more about this product". The reviews on Amazon and several other sites are mostly positive. I have programed in a ton of cng locations, so with a few clicks I can get quick directions.

Cowboy, did you test your GPS the way you did the cng tanks?
          I don t know if the lap top falling out of the truck counts but it has been drop tested sevral times from about 5 to 6 ft and still amazes me that it still works if you saw it at the flea market you would not give it a second look it is so beat up still working so much for destructive testing LOL

Comment

I am afraid if it steers you wrong you will put a bullet in it!
            Just kidding Cowboy. I love your posts.

Comment

I have had two Garmin units and have been very happy with them. A friend loaned me his Magellan Maestro the other day which I found to be obnoxious! It kept asking for a voice command when stopped and the voice reading of the street names was very hard to understand. The new Garmins also include speed limit on the display which I found really cool (now if I can just stay under that number somehow... )

Comment

A Garmin Nuvi 205 For $119 got the job. I looked at Costco, they have top of the line stuff at deep discounts, but the basic unit has all I need and more. So it was back to BestBuy.

A bigger screen would cost 50% more, and the salesmen warned me this unit does not talk to you with the street names for turns. Good thing too. Electronic devices that talk to me at bad times sometimes get thrown out .

Comment

I've got a full fledged PC in my expedition running Streetdeck. Certainly not a low cost way to go, but I certianly do love it.
                  1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                  2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Working...
                  X