Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a different fuel locking lever needed for a mass market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a different fuel locking lever needed for a mass market?

When I imagine that CNG stations are common, I have to believe that the fueling hose to car lever is far different than what we have today. I feel that the lever on the existing system is too short, the hose flexibility at the lever is too stiff and the inability to rotate the hose to allow the lever to be used is a hindrance. In support of my thinking, I know my wife has trouble engaging and disengaging the hose. Part of the problem is that the lever is often between the hose and the car’s fuel door. Another problem is that the amount of effort required to rotate the lever is high.

I can’t help thinking that a lever like what a fire hose nozzle would be a great help as long as it’s located on top of the fuel hose connection. The lever that I remember is a flat ended loop about 3 to 4 inches wide at the end and about twice as long as the existing CNG lever. To make something like this work the lever would have to be positioned on the top rather than any direction dictated by the connected hoses. The larger longer lever would help to distribute the effort over more fingers and lower the effort.

What are you thoughts?

Chris

Re: Is a different fuel locking lever needed for a mass market?

There are several fueling nozzles out there. I assume you're talking about the one that you move 90 deg. one way, then 180 degrees the other way to latch on. There is also the kind that you pull the sleeve back and then push it on, which eliminates most of those issues. I would love CNG to get so popular that someone spends money to develop a better fueling nozzle!
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

i have only seen the ones that latch on to the fill nozzle and then you turn the lever 180 degrees to begin filling. i see no reason to improve upon this if they can't operate that simple of a mechanism they shouldn't be allowed to drive a motor vehicle. although i do agree with making the hose more flexible. that can become a real pain in the butt in the winter time.

Comment

The only way you can get the hose more flexible is using a smaller hose. This means lower flow rates. Most commercial stations Are more concerned with commercial vehicles than privet users.

Comment

Fire nozzle Kool idea, They were selling hose nozzles like that at Costco and Sams in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by cngmike View Post
            The only way you can get the hose more flexible is using a smaller hose. This means lower flow rates. Most commercial stations Are more concerned with commercial vehicles than privet users.
            a longer hose with old time counter balance like they had at truck stops in the old days just a 2 inch pipe with a window weight ran in the pipe with a pully at the top and a rope to the middle of the hose this worked well with the 1 and 1and1/4 hoses in the winter when they got cold and stiff that we used for diesel lets you have a longer hose without some dummy running it over when its left on the ground might be to simple or to little cost just my retro thinking

Comment

Some brands of equipment have hose retractors. The Fuel Maker Public Access fueling system for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
                Some brands of equipment have hose retractors. The Fuel Maker Public Access fueling system for one.
                I knew it my idea dann it to simple to cheap owell

Comment

Working...
                X