Smart Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Cars

Does anyone out there own one? Just curious on the reason for the purchase. If I understand correctly they get 33mpg city and 41 mpg hwy. Well cavaliers and GX's do that. There will be no diesel Smarts coming to the US either.

I was recently out to lunch with my wife borrowing my daughters H2 CNG Hummer and we parked next to 2 Smart cars parked bumper to bumper in the same space. I thought this was cute until I sat down for lunch and began to think about this a little more. Since they only have two seats it required 2 of these vehicles to transport 4 people, and since they parked one blocking the other they obviously knew each other or are from the same household. So I thought to myself how is this any better than a regular gas SUV transporting 4 people at once.

The new joke for Smart cars. If you get hit by a Prius your dead :0)
    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Re: Smart Cars

Actually I think the Smart car got good crash ratings, which is kinda funny considering how small they are. I see them around in the bay area. Parking is a big plus especially if your working in the city(S.F), where parking is limited.

They should make the Smart car a hybrid and it will probably get better mileage than the Prius because it's so small.

Comment

Somewhere I saw an article on a NGV Smart car. There was also a low speed electric Smart in Vages.

Comment

Don't I recall reading somewhere that crash ratings refer to a crash with a car of similar size and weight? What are the chances of that?!

Comment

On TV, they always seem to crash it into a solid thing, usually more on the front left corner. Still, that can't approximate what it's like having a head-on crash at 60 mph with an F-350 dually crew cab with one of those after-market monster bumpers. The little car would be going backwards at close to the speed the F-350 was going just before the crash, and the F-350 likely could be driven away.

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

Last edited by Timon; 05-20-2008, 03:48 AM. Reason: Added inline youtube video.

Comment

Wow, but where are my legs?
              sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
              SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
              2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
              1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
              2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

The vehicle looks like it survived well enought, but what about energy absorbtion? The vehicle has to absorb the energy of the impact and slow you down a little slower than a sudden stop, or you wind up taking 20G's and you dont make it anyway.

Comment

Ok, but what are the odds your going to crash at 70mph? I mean c'mon! If your driving on the freeway at 70 and your following to closely you'll hit the brakes and probably slow to about 40-50 when you actually hit the car in front of you.

I have never been in a high speed crash and I have been driving a Fed Ex truck from Menlo Park to SJC daily on 101 at peak commute time from 6-7pm and I have never seen anybody crash like that. I think this is a worst case scenario, but if your a safe driver you shouldn't be getting in accidents like that.

If you see me out there in the carpool lane on 101S in your GX give me a wave. Don't get mad if were going to slow either because our trucks are governed. The fastest they go is anywhere between 65-75mph. Just FYI.

BTW, I want to crash cars for a living like that guy.

Comment

I was very interested in Smarts until I saw there would be no diesel Smarts in the States. There are better choices, now, with room for gear, with comparable mpg. If they brought the diesel here, with its high mpg, I might have reconsidered, but that was until I heard about CNG cars. Smarts are adorable cars, but viewing that video does make me think. I really do like my legs. BTW, Thanks for posting this video.

Comment

I would consider one for an in-town commuter/grocery cart. Since the waiting list is now up to 18 months (according to one driver who ordered his a year ago), it's a moot point.

Comment

I saw a smart car with a gsxr 1200 motor in it. It was freakin' awesome! It's on you tube. This guy was doing donuts and drifting like nobody's business!

Comment

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
                          Wow, but where are my legs?
                          Really!

Mind if I borrow your crumple zone?

Bill

Comment

A good friend of mine had ordered one months ago - then he saw my GX and was really angry he didn't know about them before... He canceled his order - but now has just decided to stick with his old TDI jetta, which gets 40-45mpg. Overall, I think the Smart Cars are pretty gimmicky - unless you are in a big city like SF or NY - and then they're nice for parking. For economy or the environment, I don't think they really provide much benefit.

Comment

Working...
                            X