No announcement yet.

Retail Hydrogen Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two auctions for hydrogen vehicles and fuel station ending Aug 28 2019 in West Virginia. General public may bid on these items. Though these do not reform natural gas to get hydrogen (cheapest method, but large scale) and fuel cell electric vehicles would be more efficient (incredibly expensive), this equipment would provide hydrogen vehicles at fire-sale prices:

Two Ford Escape hybrids having internal combustion engines fueled with compressed hydrogen instead of gasoline

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...75&acctid=7396

Hydrogen fueling station using electrolysis

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...57&acctid=7396

Comment

The Hydrogen electrolysis fuel station along with the two Ford Escape hydrogen piston engine vehicles offered in an auction ending Aug 28 2019 were withdrawn before the auction closed. They were being offered by Brian Root of West VA University in Morgantown.

Comment

me thinks that the taxpayer has been had again as a auction shows the true worth of what is being auctioned off . about 2000 dollars and I have no idea what was payed by west va university for this but I will bet it was many times what was offered. taxpayer money ???? more than likely.I am guessing here but I will bet they have well north of a 100 grand in this junk. 19773 miles for a 100 grand that would be just over 5 dollars a mile. I would be ROTFLOL but for it is the peoples hard earned cash.H2 is nothing more than a play toy. I think we would do better to just convert all cars and trucks to cng as far as cleaning the air and we are swimming in natural gas and we can have much cleaner air than playing with impractical H2 toys . we have the teck to do cng we dont have to wait for 10 or 20 years for H2 to be practical if ever. my chevy truck gets about 20 mpg and my cng costs .79 cents divide that by 20 mpg and it works out to about 3.9 cent per mile. I sure am glad I did not go to school at wv university or any other university for that matter. they might have taught me how not to be able to think. just think five dollars vs 3.9 cents would leave 4 dollars and ninety six point one cents to go to the university wv and study girls and beer.and I dont need any math as I already know 3.9 cents is better than 5 dollars. ps I do like girls and beer I might just apply . just remember beer is better than girls a beer wont get get pissed when you pick up another beer .LOL

Comment

As always, we love your wisdom cowboy
          The real insanity with H2 is how most all of the supply at hydrogen fueling stations is simply reformed natural gas to begin with. It might be a zero carbon fuel, but the methane CH4 had its "C" removed into the atmosphere before it got to the vehicle. Might as well use CH4 on the vehicle to begin with...

Comment

The summary, below, uses data from the article written by Patrick Molloy for Rocky Mountain Institute Sept 25, 2019 - Run on Less with Hydrogen Fuel Cells. Other facts are from Carbon Commentary July 5, 2014 by Chris Goodall (links follow)

A comparison of fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) compared with conventional internal combustion trucks:

A truck can be fueled in less than 15 minutes from a conventional station having a hydrogen dispenser.

FCEVs can get between 12 and 15 mpg equivalent, well above the 6.4 mpg national average for a diesel truck.
            This is because an internal combustion engine loses approximately 50 percent of the energy to heat; electric drivetrains lose 10 percent. Hydrogen has an energy density of approximately 120 MJ/kg. Diesel has an energy density of 45.5 MJ/kg; gasoline 45.8 MJ/kg.

The EV Lion 8 has a 480-kWh battery pack with a 250-mile range, at about 2–5 tons. The FCEV Nikola One has a range of about 500-750 miles and a 250-kWh battery pack at 2-3 tons. Diesel trucks can go well over 1,000 miles without refueling.

Almost all hydrogen production today is made by the steam reformation of natural gas and results in approximately 500 million tons of CO2 emissions a year (1 percent of global GHGs.)

Hydrogen made using only renewable energy, is produced by electrolysis using an alkaline solution at 100C-150C. Using electrolysis, global hydrogen production today would need 15 percent of the world's electricity generation.

The energy value of hydrogen produced by electrolysis is about 80 percent of the electricity used. Steam reforming is around 65 percent efficient. The capital cost of a steam reforming system is currently about 30-50 percent cheaper than that of an electrolyser.

The main challenges with hydrogen come down to transportation and storage. Hydrogen is produced in gaseous form, and it needs to be stored under pressure or liquified directly. Both of these processes require additional energy, which may or not be from renewable sources.

The European Union has committed to removing gasoline and diesel vehicles by 2030. China’s is investing $7.6B to get 1 million fuel cell vehicles onto the roads by 2030.

Toyota Kenworth has a long track record of developing trucks using fuel cell technology and in 2019 it added 10 T680s to be used at the Port of Los Angeles and throughout Southern California. Shell has recently invested heavily in large-scale hydrogen electrolyzers, which offer a zero-carbon option for hydrogen production. Earlier this month, Cummins acquired a market-leading electrolyzer and fuel cell manufacturing firm, Hydrogenics, for $290 million. These are all signals of serious commitment by industry leaders to move into the hydrogen and fuel cell space.

https://www.act-news.com/news/fcevs-run-on-less/

https://www.carboncommentary.com/blo...carbon-economy

Comment

Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCEVs) have been around since the 1960s. Nikola Motors just announced it has raised $1B in funding for its hydrogen vehicle technology, adding some substantial new partners including CNHI and Bosch.

Earlier this year, the company also launched a daring roadmap for 700 fueling stations nationwide and secured an 800-vehicle partnership with Anheuser-Busch to help decarbonize its freight fleet.

Nicola Motor (Scotsdale Arizona) has 13,000 pre-orders for its FCEV Class 8 trucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=u4mnYkH8ntc

Comment

CaetanoBus hydrogen bus launched with Toyota. 400 km (250 mi) with one refill

Brussels (Belgium), 18 October 2019 – Toyota today announced that it has delivered and integrated its first fuel cell stack into the new city bus by CaetanoBus SA, the H2, which was presented in a world premiere at Busworld 2019 in Brussels.

The fuel cell stack is located on the bus roof and is coupled to 5 hydrogen tanks with a total capacity of 37.5 kg, giving the bus a range of up to 400km. It can be refueled with hydrogen pressurized at 350 bar (5000 psi) in under 9 minutes, and its only emissions are water vapor. The trial bus will be operated in various European cities over the next months, before commercialization mid 2020.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/caetanobu...ll-technology/

Comment

Michael Bates for NGTNews Dec 2, 2019

A new hydrogen refueling location is now open at 1201 Harrison St San Francisco CA, joining more than three dozen sites already in operation in the state.

The station, which was developed by Shell and funded via the California Energy Commission, will be open 24 hours a day. The station’s capacity is 513 kilograms (5kg needed for a car, 10kg for a truck), and it has two fueling nozzles at H70 pressure (10K psi - 700 bar).

https://ngtnews.com/hydrogen-refueli...-cell-vehicles

Comment

Michael Bates for NGTNews July 22, 2020 - LEFT Trial Investigates Hydrogen Dual-Fuel

A two-year trial involving 11 urban trucks and vans running on green hydrogen dual-fuel has been conducted by the Low Emission Freight and Logistics Trial (LEFT) project to investigate the practical deployment of hydrogen-powered vehicles in the U.K.

In the trial, ULEMCo – the company pioneering the adoption of ultra-low emission hydrogen fuel with its partners – converted four refuse trucks, a road sweeper, a patient transport vehicle, four-panel vans and a refrigerated van to run on hydrogen dual-fuel. During the trial period, nearly 60,000 km were covered and 1619 kgs of hydrogen were used.

With between 20-45% of the diesel fuel being displaced by green hydrogen on the various vehicles, the LEFT project concluded that with the appropriate hydrogen infrastructure, fleet-wide roll-out could provide a huge and timely step change in overall fleet emissions.

NOx emissions were reduced by 29-85% across the range of cycles tested. At least 96% of the hydrogen used in the trial came from on-site electrolysis from renewable electricity.

https://ngtnews.com/left-trial-inves...ogen-dual-fuel

Comment

Charles Morris for CHARGED EV Magazine Feb 4, 2021 - Truck-maker Scania favors battery-electric over hydrogen vehicles

Scania unveiled its first fully electric truck, which has a range of up to 250 km, last September. “In a few years’ time, Scania plans to introduce long-distance electric trucks that will be able to carry a total weight of 40 tons for 4.5 hours, and fast charge during the drivers’ compulsory 45-minute rest,” the company announced.

Scania explained why its vehicle electrification efforts will focus on batteries rather than hydrogen. “The engineers have gained valuable insights from [the company’s testing of fuel cells] and efforts will continue. However, going forward the use of hydrogen for such applications will be limited since three times as much renewable electricity is needed to power a hydrogen truck compared to a battery-electric truck. A great deal of energy is namely lost in the production, distribution, and conversion back to electricity.”

“Repair and maintenance also need to be considered. The cost for a hydrogen vehicle will be higher than for a battery electric vehicle as its systems are more complex, such as an extensive air and cooling system. Furthermore, hydrogen is a volatile gas which requires more maintenance to ensure safety.”

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/truc...ogen-vehicles/

Comment

Sergio Chapa for Chron. Nov 30 2018 - Liquide bets on hydrogen vehicle market with new $150 million plant

The Houston office of French-owned industrial gas company Air Liquide has plans to build a $150 million liquid hydrogen plant in the western United States. Air Liquide's announcement follows the signing of a long-term supply agreement with FirstElement Fuel, the top hydrogen fuel retailer in California.

Construction for the liquid hydrogen plant is expected to begin in early 2019. Once complete, the plant will be able to produce nearly 30 tons of hydrogen per day — an amount that can fuel up to 35,000 vehicles powered by fuel cells..

There are only 36 hydrogen fueling stations in the United States and all of them are in California, data from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Alternative Fuels Data Center shows. FirstElement owns 19 of those stations followed by Air Products & Chemicals of Allentown, Pa. with five. The German company Linde owns four and Air Liquide has one retail outlet in Anaheim.

https://www.chron.com/business/artic...h-13432947.php

Comment

Working...
                        X