Sloppy DIY Truck Bed Lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy DIY Truck Bed Lining

My 2002 F-150 has 80K miles on it and I'd like to have it last a long time. It came with a drop-in bedliner, but it stops where the tanks are and allows water to collect underneath the liner. I would have liked to have it Rhino-lined/LineX, but they spray in the bedliner and the cylinders would have made that difficult. I looked around on the internet and decided on Monstaliner after looking at Al's liner, Raptor, POR-15, Herculiner, etc.. I was convinced by this 790 page thread on a Jeep forum (they have a discount code there too).

The Jeep forum discount included a free quart of their "Chassis Saver". It's similar to POR-15 and can be applied directly over rust. I was really happy with the way it went on.

Attached Files
    Last edited by ragged325; 04-25-2014, 10:21 AM.

Re: Sloppy DIY Truck Bed Lining

Overall, I would say that it was a lot more work than I expected. I don't care about how it looks because I'm putting the drop-in bedliner back in, but it would have looked better sprayed on (rather than rolled). Getting around the cylinder cage was a real pain, but I'm glad it's done.

I've allowed the liner to dry for a few days now and feel really good about how tough it seems. They recommended their two-gallon kit and I went with the one-gallon kit and so it's probably thinner than it's supposed to be. I was really just worried about rust though and I feel like it should be safe from rust for a long time.

Comment

Nice photos. Be sure to install a durable shield around the tanks to protect them from objects in the truck bed, UV exposure, etc.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I took the cover off to do the bed liner and should have it all back together today.

Comment

not that happy with how it looks?

are you kidding?

thing looks friggen great

Comment

Thanks. It definitely looks better than before. The kit I got came with two of their foam rollers. When I put the stuff on it was hotter/sunnier than it's supposed to be and so the liner got thick and the rollers started to break apart leaving bits of foam in the liner. I also got a couple areas with drips. If the bed was going to be left exposed, I probably would have done a better job of fixing that stuff. I'll say that the first day of prepping the bed I spent 10 hours on it before getting to the first coat of Chassis Saver. I got a little burned out towards the end and just wanted to have it done.

Comment

Working...
            X