City of Commerce Opens CNG/LNG Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Commerce Opens CNG/LNG Station

City of Commerce, Ca Opens Link in ICTC Development of the Interstate Clean Transportation Corridor (ICTC) recently got a boost when the City of Commerce opened an LNG/CNG fueling station. The station fuels the city’s CNG transit fleet, LNG port trucks, natural gas–powered refuse vehicles, and other private and municipal fleet vehicles. The facility, located at the intersection of interstates 5 and 710, opened Aug. 5.

Re: City of Commerce Opens CNG/LNG Station

Simply amazing that Commerce, CA can have traffic demand and where-with-all to warrant a multi-million LNG/CNG operation in a LA suburb with only 12,500 population (US census bureau stats for year 2000). Top it off that Commerce, CA has only been incorporated since 1960 . . . . wow !!

I think CNG (and LNG) is definitely on the way up !! Let's spread some of that investment ALL ACROSS THE USA !!

Comment

City of Commerce is at the core of LA's shipping infrastructure. It's where the the port, the rail, and the freeway trucking all come together.

Comment

It looks like the station is operated by CE under contract for the City of Commerce. Has anyone fueled there yet? How was the fill? Is the station using CE's standard (expensive) pricing model?

The station is located at the Commerce Refuse-to-Energy Facility (CREA), 5926 Sheila St., Commerce, CA

Driving directions:
        http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&ie=U...11576&t=h&z=17

Fact Sheet:
        http://www.ci.commerce.ca.us/uploade...fact_sheet.pdf
        BiggJohn
        -------------------
        2000 CNG Camry
        VRA Wannabe

Comment

The station is scheduled to open on September 13.
          BiggJohn
          -------------------
          2000 CNG Camry
          VRA Wannabe

Comment

Has anyone tried filling up here yet?

Comment

This is the WORST station of all time. When I pulled up, I saw that someone had written a message on the pump. "You guys need to get your S*** together." That should have been a hint.

The fueling fixtures are different than anything I've seen before. I assume that they are made for some kind of heavy duty application, like the trash trucks that fill up here.

First, the 3600 fueling fixture weighs about 20 pounds. You can wrestle it around to try to get a fill, but it is so big that it will not fit inside the well of my Honda GX gas tank. After working on it for a couple of minutes, I gave up.

Then I went over the the 3000 pump. This time it is some kind of mickey mouse fueling fixture. I couldn't get it to seat right. After another couple of minutes I gave up, but I couldn't get the partially seated fixture off my tank. NIGHTMARE.

Comment

Have you called them to let them know, or ask questions?

Comment

I have sent a couple of emails to Gladstein, Neandross and Associates. They were the consulting firm that designed the station.

Here is the link to their press release.

http://www.gladstein.org/index.php?o...news&Itemid=80

I also sent an email to the City of Commerce.

I will let you know if they respond...
                  Last edited by tomdotstar; 10-16-2010, 11:40 AM. Reason: additional material

Comment

Tomdotstar - sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know the specifics of you trying to use this station, but a few things to keep in mind.

1) The station is not yet officially open to the public. While we had the ribbon cutting about a month ago, we are still working through the final punch list items before it is 100% open to the public. This should happen soon as we have a fueling kick off meeting on Monday and final performance testing this Thursday.

2) The fueling fixture you tried to use is called a "transit style" nozzle. As the name implies, it is meant for fueling transit buses with 80 GGE in a few short minutes. This station is going to be used by the City of Commerce to fuel their full size transit buses, as well as by the LADOT CNG transit buses and other heavy-duty CNG users. As you can see, the station is located on the "front lawn" of the Commerce Refuse to Energy Facility. This is a refuse incineration plant that is the dumping point for refuse trucks from throughout the region. As more and more refuse trucks are moving to natural gas - both LNG and CNG - we intentionally picked this location for this fueling station. Not to mention the heavy-duty LNG and CNG trucks coming out of the ports these days and the absolutely ideal location of this fueling station at the I-5 / I-710 interchange.

3) There are two other typical CNG fueling nozzles there, both dispensing at 3600 psi. There should not be a 3,000 psi nozzle at this station.

So, long story short; check back in about a week. The station should be on-line and available to fuel your CNGVs. The station was designed for high volume fueling given the heavy-duty vehicles that will be using the facility, so you should have no problem getting a good fill here once everything is ready to go.

Erik Neandross
                    Gladstein, Neandross & Associates

Comment

http://www.government-fleet.com/News...g-Station.aspx

Here's a link that may provide some useful information about this station.

It's run and maintained by CE. That should be your starting point for information.

Comment

Originally posted by nexusplexus9 View Post
                        Has anyone tried filling up here yet?
                        First, the 3600 fueling fixture weighs about 20 pounds. You can wrestle it around to try to get a fill, but it is so big that it will not fit inside the well of my Honda GX gas tank. After working on it for a couple of minutes, I gave up.

Then I went over the the 3000 pump. This time it is some kind of mickey mouse fueling fixture. I couldn't get it to seat right. After another couple of minutes I gave up, but I couldn't get the partially seated fixture off my tank. NIGHTMARE.

Comment

Working...
                        X