Would Fiat + Chrysler = More NGV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Fiat + Chrysler = More NGV?

An Alternate-Fuel Wild Card in Fiat’s Deck?

Now as Fiat negotiates with Washington, lenders and labor leaders on a deal to rescue Chrysler (a subject I covered in this article in Sunday’s Times), as well as acquiring Opel from G.M., another fuel that Fiat engineers have advanced could loom large: natural gas.

Fiat is the biggest player in the market for natural gas engines, which produce lower levels of greenhouse gases and other pollutants than either diesel or gasoline engines. In Italy this year the company hopes to sell 120,000 vehicles powered by natural gas, up from 68,000 in 2008.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...fiats-deck/?hp

Re: Would Fiat + Chrysler = More NGV?

Opel is already one of the more active supporters of NGVs in Europe. Many Chryslers imported to Europe are converted to natural gas by the importer, because their fuel economy is unsuitable to European gasoline prices (which includes high taxes). I don't think Fiat will change anything. I doubt any car manufacturer is now ready to take a risk by betting heavy on NGVs in North America. Unless there is broad political support for it.

Comment

I would have to agree with Gerben on this one. Chrysler seems to be more inclined (along with the Obama administration) to move toward electric vehicles. Their (Chrysler) future vehicles were all pure electric or plug-in hybrids. There seems to be a disconnect in Washington about NG. Maybe if we changed the name to HNG (Hydrocarbon Natual Gas) they might confuse it with Hydrogen and jump on the bandwagon !

Comment

Saw today (CNBC) that Chrysler will be majority owned by the UAW. They will be bankrupt in a year or two regardless of Fiat's 30%. Their bad quality issues will get much worse imho.

Comment

Working...
        X