X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• echamberlain
    replied
    Re: 9/08 Article on the GX

No one will buy this guy's book if there's no controversy.

If he got this much wrong about CNG, it makes you wonder how wrong his other books are.

Leave a comment:

• freedml
    replied
    Re: 9/08 Article on the GX

Here's an article which explains the Civic move...

"Honda is the only carmaker in the U.S. still selling a factory-built natural gas car, and until gasoline prices began soaring skyward faster than a helium balloon that's lost its tether, most buyers were private companies and government agencies required by various regional and federal rules to have alternative fuel vehicles in their fleets."

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...civic-gx-.html
    ________
    Portable Vaporizer Reviews
    Last edited by freedml; 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• freedml
    started a topic 9/08 Article on the GX

9/08 Article on the GX

Here are some statements in this article which I believe are incorrect or misleading:

"Most importantly, the GX was designed to work with a compact home refueling unit called the Phill, made by a company called Fuelmaker. "

The GX started in production in 1998. The Phill was released in the US in 2006. Phill was designed to work with the GX (or any other NGV), not the other way around.

"First, the vehicle was deliberately made less attractive. For example, Honda has earned a reputation for outfitting its cars with some of the finest audio systems and GPS navigation units on the highway. But these were not available with the GX."

The GX was designed as a fleet vehicle. Fleet vehicles generally don't have upscale trim. The GX is a basic Civic with CNG as its fuel. They didn't even install rear speakers because the tank took up a lot of space under the rear deck. Anyone wanting rear speakers, GPS or a nicer stereo can go to any stereo shop. I did.

"many upscale drivers wanted the vehicle."

Well, nobody knew about the GX or wanted it until gasoline shot up to $4. I bought my 2002 with 20k miles on it in 2004 for about 1/2 of the sticker price, way below blue book for the gasoline version.

"Quickly, consumers from California to Florida began going public with horror stories about trying to install Phill units in their home. In many cases, the installation could not be done. Customers complained they were treated shabbily."

It is misleading to imply that all of these problems were caused by Honda or Fuelmaker. Many times it was the local gas company, the local fire department or the local building inspector which caused the problems. In my case it was relatively easy.

"Most extraordinarily, Honda inexplicably refused to sell the car in most states. In fact, Most Honda Civic GX cars were sold in just two states, California and New York"

My 2002 was first sold in Wisconsin. My 2001 was first sold in Utah. Either my cars are rare or sales were a lot more spread out than this statement implies.

"Withholding the Phill would be like withholding razor blades from razors."

Not at all. After we bought our GXs we waited for a long time to get our Phill. In the meantime, we fueled at commercial stations, of which there are a sufficient number for driving in California and some other areas.

"Honda refused to sell the cars?not even one."

Ok, but why did Spokane stop when Honda said no? They could have bought GXs from existing GX dealers in CA. They could have bought used GXs (like I did). Anyone who wants a CNG vehicle or refueling equipment has only to look beyond their local Honda dealer.

"In Utah, those eager to get off of oil and onto the cheaper CNG are self-retrofitting. "

Well, at less then $1/gallon wouldn't you??? The heavily subsidized price of cng in UT should have been mentioned here.

"Honda?s answer to the fuel crisis was not increase the supply of GX cars, but to suddenly stop production altogether. "

A few sentences later, the author himself refutes this assertion. Honda finished scheduled production in Ohio and was moving production to Indiana. This had been planned for a long time, not as an answer to the fuel 'crisis.' It was just coincidence that it happened just as GX demand surged.

"General Motors, often scorned by green car advocates, will commence mass production of the extended range electric Volt in November 2010"

Why not take GM to task for discontinuing the Bifuel Cavalier after 2005? A great little car. Most of these were sold to the US Gov. and were base models, not even having electric door locks, electric windows or electric mirrors. The GX seems almost like a luxury model compared to the fleet version of the Cavalier

Full article: http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/in...=Investigation
    ________
    FREE****
    Last edited by freedml; 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM.
Working...
X