Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bills Extend HOV Lane Access for NGVs

Bills Extend HOV Lane Access for NGVs
    State legislators have introduced three bills extending HOV lane access for solo-occupant clean vehicles. Each bill would extend the access period (currently set to sunset at the end of 2010) and include NGVs; they differ on hybrid access and the length of time access would be allowed.
    "I think we’re in a good position," says Coalition Executive Director Pete Price. "All of these bills will benefit NGVs."
    The Coalition is sponsoring AB 1500 by Assemblyman Ted Lieu (D-Torrance), who carried the previous sunset extension bill and chairs the Rules Committee. AB 1500 would extend the access period five years to Dec. 31, 2015. The extension would apply to both "white stickers" (NGVs and AFVs that meet SULEV/ILEV standards) and "yellow stickers" (hybrids that get 45 mpg).
    AB 1502, by Assemblyman Mike Eng (D-Monterey Park), would exclude hybrids. Eng, who chairs the Transportation Committee, believes there’s no need for a hybrid incentive and is concerned about lane clogging as more hybrids hit the roads. The state is not issuing new hybrid stickers (the 85,000 limit has been reached), so the practical effect of the bill would be to invalidate yellow stickers on Jan. 1, 2011, when the current law sunsets.
    Both bills should be heard in April in the Assembly Transportation Committee, where the differences will be sorted out.
    The third bill, also likely to be heard in April, is SB 535 by Sen. Leland Yee (D-San Francisco). It simply eliminates the sunset, extending access indefinitely—unless federal authority for single-occupancy access expires.
    Federal authority, in fact, is the main challenge facing all these bills. The federal law allowing ILEVs and low-emission or energy-efficient vehicles to use HOV lanes expires Sept. 30. A new federal transportation bill is due this year, but there’s no word yet on whether Congress intends to extend the access provision.

Re: Bills Extend HOV Lane Access for NGVs

You can bet your A** that if AB 1502 passes hybrid owners will be squealing like stuck pigs.

Comment

nothing tastier than a slow-cooked stuck pig.. especially when I'm passing them from the carpool lane.. ;-)
      1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
      2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Without action on the Federal side, we are toast too in october '09.

Comment

I was under the impression that even if the federal doesn't extend, CA can still allow HOV access to whoever they please, as long as they AT LEAST allow access to who the feds say they have to.
          1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
          2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

I think people will trade in there hybrids for CNG vehicles when that time comes. A lot of people just bought the cars to get the sticker and use the carpool lane. So it might help us out and get more cng vehicles on the road.

Comment

hopefully the part for the NGV passes so we're good 'til 2015... hehe

Comment

I believe Lakewood was correct: that without an extention to the Federal Law that that expires 9/30/2009, we will not be allowed to use the HOV lane SOLO.
                I wrote to Holly Pugliese at the EPA. I found her email address on this web page near the bottom.....
                http://www.epa.gov/OMS/regs/ld-hwy/hov/420f07042.htm
                Email Address [email protected]

My letter to Holly follows.....
                Subject; SAFETEA-LU
                "I'm curious as to weather you are aware of any efforts, progress, etc, towards the extension of the law (SAFETEA-LU) that allows a single occupant to operate a ILEV in the HOV lane. I understand that this law sunsets on September 30, 2009. I am currently considering purchasing a ILEV but the uncertainty of future HOV access, has me hesitating. Any info or direction on this matter, I would greatly appreciate."

Holly responded with.....
                "I personally am not aware of any efforts at the Congressional
                level to extend this provision. If history is any guide, the program
                office will be the last to know, so you may want to contact your own
                Congressional representatives or do some surfing on the web, but again,
                I am not aware of anything at this moment."

"If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Holly" end quote.

It needs to be said that to my knowledge any state that wishes to receive Federal Highway Funding (Interstate Highway), must conform to Federal Interstate Rules. The rule that allows NGVs (ILEV) to use the HOV lane SOLO (SAFETEA-LU) is set to expire on 9/30/2009. I don't think many States would be willing to sacrifice Fed $$.

I welcome any enlightenment on this from knowledgable posters, but please if you don't know for certain, do not debate this fact, because it missleads people to believe that the HOV lane is granted going beyond 9/30/2009, when the reality is that it is not. We need to band togeather to have our Law Makers amend this law and remove the expiration date,to allow NGV
                SOLO-HOV indefinitly !

Comment

Working...
                X