Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Annual Alt Fuels Cruise-In at Thunder on the Lot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Annual Alt Fuels Cruise-In at Thunder on the Lot!

3rd Annual Cruise-In at Thunder on the Lot!

It's once again time to start organizing our annual Cruise-In at Thunder!
    The weekend before Fathers Day (every year) should be the 13th-14th of June.

We'll be at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, as always. I expect to expand on last years activites, possibly with vendors displaying Earth Friendly products and technologies. The Alt Fuel Expo will also grow this year.

Plan your vacation time and plan on being there! And remember, the whole event is to raise funds for the Kids Charities. Last year Thunder raised a new record of $336,000. Over the events 14 year history we've raised over $1.2 million dollars for the kids.

Last year we had somewhere around 40-50 NGV owners come through and party with us at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, and we had a blast!

I will start feeding info here as things develop, so keep checking back to see what the latest news is on the event. We will probably be doing the Alt Fuels & Vehicle Expo again, but without some show in interest I'll probably not do the GSA Auction this time.

I'm also being asked to add a "green" expo to the event. Anyone wishing to display vehicles/technology that's in line with the environmental theme please contact me to arrange booth space.

We've signed two headline bands this year.

This year ERIC BURDON & THE ANIMALS will headline on Saturday night at 8:00pm at the bike show stage. One of the seminal figures of the 1960's British invasion during his tenure with The Animals, and in the Rock" n" Roll Hall of Fame, legendary singer Eric Burdon has charted with 25 Top 40 hits including classics like:" House of the Rising Sun", "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood and "Spill the Wine". Tickets are $10 each for ages 12 and above for Saturday's event. Ages 11 and under are free.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sunday, June 14th the HOLLYWOOD ALLSTARZ will headline at 3:00pm on the bike show stage. The Hollywood Allstarz is a line-up of legendary players featuring guitarist Carlos Cavazo (from Quiet Riot); bassist Sean McNabb (from Quiet Riot, Great White, House of Lords); vocalist Chas West (from Jason Bonham's band & the Lynch Mob) and
    drummer Krigger (from Greg Guiffria, London, Ike Turner) The band also does a show with a dynamic two drummer configuration featuring Krigger and the legendary Vinny Appice (Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell, Ozzy, Dio) Playing mostly hit songs from the bands they were in including classic songs out of the MTV rock era like "Metal Health," "Mob Rules," "Long Live Rock and Roll" and "Man On the Silver Mountain" plus many surprises. These legendary band members have accumulatively sold over 20 million records.

As usual I'll post a poll so we can plan on the number of group members that will attend and keep the news flowing as it comes in. Ask anyone that came last year... it was a blast!

Our event is combined with the biggest Car/truck/motorcycle show west of the Mississippi... literally! We need all the alternative fueled vehicles we can get just to offset the carbon footprint of all the muscle cars that will be there!

There will be a carnival for the kids, live music on multiple stages all through the weekend, and some of the coolest cars and motorcycles anywhere.

If you missed it last year, you have to make it this year!
    You can count on me! Wouldn't miss it for anything!
    35.00%
    I'm pretty sure I can make it.
    50.00%
    I'd love to but I have to wash my hair that day.
    5.00%
    I can't get there from here-Won't make it this year.
    10.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Curtis; 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM.

Re: 3rd Annual Alt Fuels Cruise-In at Thunder on the Lot!

Curtis,
    Already carved four days out of my schedule and will start warning everyone
    "I've gotta get out of this place" for some serious bikes, beer and bros.
    Good idea about the GSA. A lot of work and space for something that lasted what, five minutes.
    We should concentrate that effort on doing some educational presentations and workshops.
    Or maybe just "The First Annual Miss CNG Spokesmodel Contest and Wet T-Shirt Contest".
    Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

There was talk of Larry and you doing a tank inspection workshop, or something of that nature. How about $50 inspections with proceeds (not spent on beer) going to the Kids Charities.

Comment

Curtis,
        I'm game for some, just need to check with my insurance underwriter to make sure I am or can be covered while working in CA. Shouldn't be a problem.
        Just got back from inspecting a school bus fleet (122 tanks) in Phoenix and will need to restock on stickers. Maybe we should get some commemorative stickers made up. Just roundup say 3 more inspectors and a lift or set of ramps and we're good.
        If Larry and/or Bill are coming, we need to do an educational workshop or presentation to do each day.

Comment

Curtis, it looks I will be in Washington in June and July, so I will have to beg off. However, If I am in the area I will be there and help any way I can, or at any other time I am in the area. I will be watching the site.

Larrycng (from Puerto Penaco, Mexico)

Comment

Mexico.... Washington... I think I'll hang with you. All I ever get to see is Lancaster/Palmdale. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to be from... after you're gone.

Comment

Sorry everyone... if you tried to vote on the poll and found it closed... it's open again. Please go back to it and get your vote posted. I like to know how many are going to attend so we know how many semi loads of Budwiser to order.

Not to worry Hal and Johnny, I already ordered a truck load for you to split. Please advise if I need to make that one-each.

Comment

I love you guys. I get a kick out of reading your posts. I like your idea Hal of some educational presentations and workshops. I look forward to seeing ya’ll again, last year was a lot of fun!

Count me in Curtis, I’ll be there!
                08 Civic GX

Comment

JT,
                  Good to hear you'll be joining us again. Maybe this year we'll have to take over a wing at the Motel 6. I have a sneeking suspicion our numbers will have multiplied in the past year. Should be a good time.

Comment

Hey Curtis,

Are we still going to get a Tesla roadster to the cruise-in? Imagine, an electric car that goes from zero to sixty in just four seconds. I need to take that baby for a test drive!
                    08 Civic GX

Comment

It's now official, we have the 2 bands I mentioned, Eric Burden and The Hollywood All-Stars. This will be the first time that Thunder has had a headline band on Sunday, as well as opening day. The excitement is starting to build around here.

I look forward to seeing everyone again this year. Our event grows and gets better every year. I hope to see many new faces this year, as it's always great to meet the people we have gotten to know through cngchat, as well as some of the industry people that support us.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                        Mexico.... Washington... I think I'll hang with you. All I ever get to see is Lancaster/Palmdale. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to be from... after you're gone.
                        Having worked, at times, at Edwards AFB, I get what you are saying. Beleive it or not, I do miss it at times.

Comment

Re: 3rd Annual Alt Fuels Cruise-Looking for a little help

I have decided to create a committe to assist me with the Thunder/Cruise-In from now on. I was thinking that 3 willing assistants could work with me to help organize and build upon what we already have established.

With the amount of work related things I already deal with, I think this would work to make the event grow and become even better. We'll meet at the dealership on a regular basis, plot, plan and assist each other to beef up the event.

I'm looking for volunteers at this point. Later on you may be up for a draft, so if I don't get a few good men... watch for your draft card in the mail.
                          If it helps with your decision making process, I serve pizza at these meetings.

I am also wanting to add a "Green" aspect to the event. If you know a business that markets green products/services that would like some great exposure please refer them to me, or visa-versa.

Industry people that wish to join me in supporting the Alt Fuels Expo this year should contact me as soon as possible to secure space. Last year was great, and I look forward to having last years participants back again. As this event grows, it will become a major event unto itself.

We had nearly 2,000 people come through the event last year and expect numbers to increase this year. With nearly 30,000 people coming to the fairgrounds June 13th & 14th, this is a great opportunity to get your business in front of the aerospace community, but also steak holders for several local cities that are hungry to jump on the alt fuels bandwagon in a big way.

I look forward to a great event this year and meeting many new faces from our little cng community.

Comment

Here's the latest on the entertainment at Thunder.

Peace Frog
                            Saturday June 13th 6:30pm - Bike Show Stage

A Profile of Peace Frog:
                            This highly acclaimed act pays tribute to Jim Morrison and The Doors by recreating the magic and intensity of a Doors concert experience. Based out of Venice, California, lead singer Tony Fernandez lives out every move of Jim Morrison on stage and delivers a powerful recreation of true likeness in presence, vocals, mannerisms and spirit. Peace Frog is the drama and rock theater that made the Doors famous. Dark and spooky, mystical and hypnotic, the band demonstrates the ability to transform any room into an actual Doors concert experience. With intoxicating renditions of "Hello, I Love You", "Light My Fire", "L.A. Woman", "The End" and many of the Doors classic songs, Peace Frog has the crowd entranced! The attention to detail not only by Tony Fernandez, as Jim Morrison, but by the musicians that play the parts of Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek and John Densmore can be described as a study in Doors musicianship. Jim Morrison can no longer perform live, but when you witness Peace Frog you will think you are at a Doors concert. It is a must see for all Doors fans and for anyone looking to experience an amazing recreation of a Doors show!

The Skinny Little Twits
                            Sunday June 14th 2:00pm - Car Show Stage

The Skinny Little Twits, whose name reflects the fun and light heartedness of this talented eclectic group, is one of California’s premier Classic Rock bands. Their energetic live performances feature strong vocal power, including four lead vocalists and melodic four-part harmonies, audience engaging showmanship, a blend of electric and acoustic guitars, and “tight” professional musicianship. Their members have shared the stage with the likes of Journey, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, and Eddie Money; have collaborated with members of The Who and Jethro Tull; and have performed throughout the U.S., Europe, China, Japan, Bosnia, and Hungary. The “Twits” have opened for National acts the Go Go’s, Christopher Cross and “Weird Al” Yankovic and have head-lined concerts for various cities, festivals, fairs, corporations and venues throughout California.

Comment

Curtis do you have anything new? Are we going to have the same place as last year?

Bruce
                              Bruce D.
                              '05 Silver GX

Comment

Working...
                              X