Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble finding CNG pumps that fit

Hi Curt-

I recently purchased a 1991 GMC van with an IMPCO conversion kit installed in 1993. I've tried to refuel at a few Clean Energy stations, but the pump does not seat on the nozzle on the van. Do you know if there is a newer "standard" nozzle that has come about since then that I would need to retrofit, or if I should just try another provider? Thanks!

Clay

Re: Trouble finding CNG pumps that fit

Clay,

Welcome to CNGChat. In answer to your question...

There are two types of filling nozzles out there:

1. Blue nozzle - This is for 3,000 psi systems. If your vehicle has a 3,000 psi system (tank and nozzle), then this is the only filling nozzle you can use - not the yellow nozzle.

2. Yellow nozzle - This is for 3,600 psi systems. If your vehicle has a 3,600 psi system (tank and nozzle), then you can use this filling nozzle as well as the blue filling nozzle.

Judging by the year of your vehicle and the year of your installation, I would say that your system is a 3,000 psi system. Try using a blue nozzle.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Clay,
      You may have a bigger problem. If your kit was installed in 93, your tanks are expired and must be removed. New tanks back then only had a 15 year life which would have expired last year. You might want to get them checked by a CSA certified system inspector.
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

I think the question is, did his vehicle use the (what is now) standard NGV-1 receptacle? There were various types and sizes of quick connects used in that era.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Receptacles also tend to fatten-out over time with multiple refueling events. But more importantly, Hal is right... the cylinders have gotta go.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. Well, that sucks! Any ideas on resources for getting new cylinders, the NGV-1 receptacle, costs, etc? Thanks again!

Clay

Comment

Clay,
              We need some more info on the tanks. Brand, sizes, valves and maybe some pictures. Maybe some info and pics on the fill recepticle and it's mounting and tubing size.
              Good news, the market is down now and prices should be reasonable. Plus the supply of tanks should increase as some in Utah have to remove their systems to re-register.

Keep us informed, we'll see if we can help.
              Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

I am not sure but I think some of the early impco was 2400 if so you dont want to put 3000 or 3600 in them this is why diferent fittings good luck if you upgrade psi dont forget to check psi rating of your high pressure regulater

Comment

Working...
                X