Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what about converting dedicated to bi-fuel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what about converting dedicated to bi-fuel ?

98? Crown Vic, My car is in my driveway without enough fuel to get to the station. My fault "sort of", the station was closed for new years. I have thought about the conversion since I bought the car just over a year ago and wonder what connections are needed ? I think I understand (from looking at cng conversions) the need to install a second set of injectors, a tank and pump- but then I dont know. I figure I would install just a 5 gallon race type /fuel cell, just enough to solve the long range driveability problem.

Re: what about converting dedicated to bi-fuel ?

I doubt that would work, especially if it's ultra-high compression like the Honda Civic GX

Comment

ya. Ithink the compression is 10.5/1 but figured with premium and an octane booster I could at least solve the gas at the station across the street scenario

Comment

Rather than a tow, try calling Teryl Gardner - Kwik Pik Locksmithing - 801-573-1295. As part of his road service work, Teryl can come out to your vehicle with a transfer hose for just a $30 fee and get you on your way.

Comment

Isn't the GX unique in its high compression engine? Don't the CV and other CNG and bi-fuel cars have standard compression?
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
            .. Teryl can come out to your vehicle with a transfer hose ..
            Do transfer hose's need to be custom made or can ya order one "off the shelf"? I found this:

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/synflex/...log%20Page.pdf

But not much else in a quick search ..
            Last edited by jblue; 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

This is fairly informative regarding transferring CNG:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/32829.pdf

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

the GX has about 12.5:1 compression ration. Ford and Dodge ran about 10:1 on the dedicated engines. Bi-fuel will generly run gasoline compression ration 8.5 to 9:1 because they run on lower octane fuels - unless you want to pay for premium when not running on CNG.

Larrycng

Comment

So, could you run Premium in a Ford or Dodge?

I have a transfer hose that I had made up years ago. But the fittings on each end have been used for other things and that's the expensive part if you do it right. The fittings are off the shelf but the hose itself has to be custom ordered. I got my stuff from Parker.
                  02 GX
                  01 GX
                  03 Crown Vic
                  06 GX
                  Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                    Rather than a tow, try calling Teryl Gardner - Kwik Pik Locksmithing - 801-573-1295. As part of his road service work, Teryl can come out to your vehicle with a transfer hose for just a $30 fee and get you on your way.
                    Thanks John for that information, I think I'll put that on a label in my instrument panel.

Made it to the station in brigham (16 miles) after 12 miles with the fuel light already on (total of 28 miles with the fuel light on) Wife behind me in the truck with the tow strap "planned on running out but prepared" "AMAZED" .

I ran out intentionally last spring to see what range was left with the light on, that time was only 12 miles. I dont know? temperature difference maybe.

So Thanks, and I'm still wondering about the bi-fuel convert to a small fuel tank for the emergencies. I'll look at the list of conversion shops and check the dealers maybe something will show up.. My only hang up is the electrical/ computer stuff, I am a pretty good mechanic and can break it down to install the second injector's, run fuel lines and work with the electrical. But diagrams and compu valves and switching systems automatically or even manually I have to admit to being clueless here.

Thanks again John

Charles Paul
                    98 crown vic
                    North Ogden, Ut

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
                      the GX has about 12.5:1 compression ration. Ford and Dodge ran about 10:1 on the dedicated engines. Bi-fuel will generly run gasoline compression ration 8.5 to 9:1 because they run on lower octane fuels - unless you want to pay for premium when not running on CNG.

Larrycng
                      Its a very good idea to back out timing and using a richer mixture when using low octane fuels in a high compression (or turbocharged / supercharged) engine. Helps to corral the detonation demon If you have a knock sensor installed, the computer does this for you behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by jblue View Post
                        Do transfer hose's need to be custom made or can ya order one "off the shelf"? I found this:

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/synflex/...log%20Page.pdf

But not much else in a quick search ..
                        AFV Fleet Svs sell them for around $2000. A little pricey for most of our needs. They're more geared too fleet use for obvious reasons.

Comment

Working...
                        X