Roof Mounted Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Mounted Tanks

I just bought a 1999 CNG Thomas school bus. It has 167 gallon capacity. Do you know where I can get roof mounted tanks to extend the range of this bus?
    Is cng available in Mexico

Any helpful suggestions

Thanks

Ken

Re: Roof Mounted Tanks

Originally posted by Kenr1957 View Post
    Is cng available in Mexico
    http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

All Thomas Built had tanks under the body, which you know. Make sure the tanks and brackets are in good condition, especially where the tank brackets bolt to the bus frame. I've seen several with cracks in brackets bolt holes where the bolts attack the brackets to the frame. Also make sure the rocks shields are present and in good condition.

As for the roof mounting tanks, I would check with Thomas Built to see if they can handle the weight and where would be the appropriate place to attach the tanks. There is a company call Enviromech Industries (check the web) that could help you with tank mounts and suggest a good looking cover over the tanks; which I believe is required by NFPA 52.

You might check this site for some posts on some long Dynetek tanks that were for sale in Arizona that may be legal for the use you intend

Depending on where you are, there is CNG in New, Mexico, I know Santa Fe and Albuquerque; both transit companies I believe still run CNG. I believe that Sante Fe was the first transite properity to run CNG; Converted Hercules engines that had problems until a guy name of Don Bass got them set up -- so much for history.

Larrycng

Comment

KEN,

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS ONE. UPFITTING A ROOF MOUNT SYSTEM COULD BE A FIRST. MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO CONTACT RON EICKELMAN OR JOHN JORDAN AT FAB INDUSTRIES: http://www.fabind.com/.

THEY HAVE MORE EXPERIANCE WITH AFTERMARKET (AND OEM) CYLINDER PACKAGING.

BEST REGARDS,

afvman

Comment

Where are you located? There are some upfitters that can handle this type of a job, but logistics is a factor most of the time. I'd certainly work with someone that has the experience with these specialized setups.

Comment

Lincoln Composites Sell roof mounted tank systems, I have a friend who is a Dealer fo them, If you are serious I could get a quote, E Mail me at [email protected], Jim
            younkincng.com
            801 427 2284
            Jim Younkin
            www.younkincng.com

Comment

I am sorry to be this late in thanking you for all the good advice and referalls. I have been gone for a week. Took and bunch of scouts to Los Angeles. I will get busy on the project now.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                Where are you located? There are some upfitters that can handle this type of a job, but logistics is a factor most of the time. I'd certainly work with someone that has the experience with these specialized setups.
                I am in Salt Lake City, Utah, But could go to Arizona or California

Comment

Couldn't you just have the scouts lash some tanks to the roof?
                  1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                  2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Make sure you check with local government to ensure roof mounts are legal. I know if it is to be used for transtporting public the tanks must be inside frame. Atleast in Texas.

Comment

The only roof mounts I'm aware of are Bus, and other heavy applications like trash trucks. I don't think you'd have the structural strength to do this safely on a car. Aside from that, it wouldn't do your aerodynamics, or fuel economy, any favors... even if enclosed.

Comment

Many mass transit vehicles use tanks on top but they are mounted to a dedicated structure, not on the roof itself. CNG tanks MUST withstand a static force equal or exceeding 8 times the weight of the tanks AND their appurtenances which include brackets etc. Obviously, a roof cannot withstand that type of loading. Some buses have as many as 12 tanks.

For a tank to be retrofitted to a vehicle roof, an internal structure must be engineered, built, tested, and installed, then finally approved to the static loads, calculated to the dynamic loading.

Franz

Comment

Attached is some info on one roof mount system.

But, as has been said, check with the manufacturer of the vehicle (Thomas Built, I believe) if the roof structure will hold the weight, or with the roof mount manufacturer if they can "beef" the roof and the bus manufacturer approves the modifications. It may get expensive, but it will be safe.

I know the above company a they will do it right or they won't do it.

Larrycng
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                            Couldn't you just have the scouts lash some tanks to the roof?
                            Certainly an opportunity for a unique merit badge!

Comment

Working...
                            X