2006 GX tires: noisy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 GX tires: noisy!

I have 38K miles on my 2006 GX. The tires that came with the car, Dunlop Sport 5000s, have always made a lot of noise at highway speeds. These are the noisiest tires I have ever driven! Does anyone else have these tires? Do they seem to make a lot of noise? Can anyone recommend different tires that are quiet?

Re: 2006 GX tires: noisy!

I had the same problem on my 07 non-GX, the lower end Honda's are noisy. Consumer Reports has been noting this for years.

Comment

I agree, my 2007 is so noisy I am thinking of putting the tires used on the Civic Hybrid. Expensive change for no reason, Honda should just put them as standard equipment. Alan

Comment

The Civic Hybrid comes with low rolling resistance tires. If you swap them you'll notice a significant drop in mileage on the hybrid. I'm curious how much it would improve the GX mileage though. If you have the chance to do it, even as an experiment, let us know the results.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I did get new tires, Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's. These tires are great! They have a smooth ride and aren't so noisy. The car doesn't have much sound proofing so they aren't silent, but they are better than the Dunlop Sport 5000s. I haven't had them long enough to figure out mpg yet, but I will post that when I know.

One thing that I should pass along about my OEM tires -- they wore out because they were under inflated. I rotated the tires with each oil change (about every 8K miles) and I kept them inflated at 30PSI as the sticker in the car door recommends. However, the outside edges on both sides of the tire were worn; whereas, the center tread was fine. You might want to check your tires and adjust inflation appropriately. Finally, my brother has a Civic and runs 36PSI in his tires and they are wearing evenly.

Comment

I replaced my original tires today after a minor hydroplane event. I was driving appropriate speed for the conditions so my car and the k rail did not meet. I was transitioning to the carpool lane and the small amount of standing water was enough to cause my car to loose traction for an instant.
            The Dunlop's had 25000 miles on them and about 1/4" of tread left but they were terrible in the rain and so noisy I was going to dump them for that alone. I selected Goodyear Assurance triple treads. Fairly expensive at $607 for the set from my local store.
            Could have ordered them from Walmart on line but it would have taken several days to save $100. Being as it is raining I figured my life is worth more than the money.
            These are the #1 rated tire on Tire Rack.com and the traction on a wet road is amazing. Time will tell on the noise level. Right now it is much better than the original equipment tires.
            I had considered the tires used on the Civic Hybrid but they have poor ratings from internet user groups. Alan

Comment

Alan,
              I bought the Michelin Hydro Edge last time, before buying a 2008 GX.
              Both tires are the top rated, and they seem to be neck and neck on tirerack.com...
              The only factor on the triple tred is that they seem to require frequent balancing(per reviews).
              I have a set of triple tred's on one of my Wife's cars, and since I bought from tire PRO's, the frequent balancing isn't a big issue.
              I will second your comment about hydroplaning. I am very careful on wet roads, but I'd like all the buffer I can get.
              Also, tire inflation makes a different in Hydroplaining. HIGHER pressure yields a higher speed when hydroplaining will start to occur.
              Best.
              Jeff

Comment

Jeff, I hope the balancing does not become an issue but I will keep an eye on them. So far it looks like my fuel usage is more efficient with these tires. I had stopped keeping records but I will start again to confirm if it is the cool weather or lower rolling resistance.
                So far the traction in corners is fabulous, 5 MPH faster on my favorite off ramp and I am sure I could go faster. Alan

Comment

Working...
                X