X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmccrary90025
    replied
    Re: 2008 GX Tank Range

On the interstate i get 40 MPG +, no matter 65 or 75 MPH. I drive smoothy (generally) and cruise control. WHen hitting an incline, I back off and slow down and work the pedal to keep fuel consumption at a minimum.

Around town I drive like a granny, and even turn off my engine at a stop light if its apparent its going to be more than 30 seconds.

I watch 2-3 stop lights ahead to determine my correct speed in anticipation of changes in the lights and traffic back-up. This too irritates most as they live a style of fast and furious from one light to the next.

Therefore I get about 200-230 miles on a tank of gas in the city. The notion of having my car towed to the next gas station is more than I can bear. Distances at times here can be great and so it may well be hours before a tow truck arrives, therefore I always fill with at least one bar remaining. No Cramer (Seinfeld) episodes here, running on empty to live large.

Most i've ever put in a fill-up was about 7 gallons.
    Last edited by dmccrary90025; 06-06-2009, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• glypnirsgirl
    replied

Originally posted by mhrxsj View Post
    my 2008.. personal experience.. the idiot light comes on at two -three notch on the gas meter...

I have run 15 miles with NO bars showing on the gas meter

so.. I live to take the risk for others... NOW YOU KNOW!!

there is 15 miles of highway driving when you actually show empty.. or E for exercise..

mark

A fellow "edger" --- next time I have to be towed I will insist that I am just doing research. Yep the operative word here is "next." I habitually run my car 20 to 30 miles after the low fuel light has come on. Considering that there are only 2 public places in Tarrant County, Texas to fill it uo ,,,, yep, I run right next to that edge.

I have never gotten more than 5.7 GGE into the tank --- even when it was flat empty.

I am now celebrating more than 12 months since my last tow!!

Elaine

Leave a comment:

• mhrxsj
    replied

my 2008.. personal experience.. the idiot light comes on at two -three notch on the gas meter...

I have run 15 miles with NO bars showing on the gas meter

so.. I live to take the risk for others... NOW YOU KNOW!!

there is 15 miles of highway driving when you actually show empty.. or E for exercise..

mark

Leave a comment:

• CH-4
    replied

Sometimes a double fill works to squeeze the extra into the tank, but its all temperature compensated. The fuel gauge reads the tank pressure on the GX then adjusts itself based on the temp. The 1st full fuel bar is 3000psi the 2nd is 3600psi. If the fueling station only has 3000psi at the 3600 dispenser you'll still only get 3000psi or even less depending on the temp. The idiot light is supposed to come on at 3 bars or 600 psi (about 30 miles left). This is all monitored by the main computer, so if there are any problems it should show up with a scan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hello St Louis, MO cng supporter,

Any movement in St Louis to add or improve the cng refueling there as only public cng pump I know of is LaClede which is poorly maintained. What a shame that St Louis with over 1 million population is paltry 1 rundown cng pump.

Let us know . . . . thanks, CNGAcrossUSA

P.S. I've heard that St Louis airport has large fleet of cng vehicles. Any of those ever sold?? Any chance of airport becoming public cng refueling??

P.S.S. I filled 2001 Honda Civic GX at Indianapolis, IN (and topped off as well after cool down) on cross-country purchase of car and made it entire way to St Louis without the low fuel light even coming on!! That was 253 miles on tank before any light.
    Last edited by cngacrossusa; 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• markrode
    replied

10gge fill i have put into my 2005 gx.. tulsa gas techologies added a 4.7gge tank to fill up the rest of the trunk space.. range is over 330+ now.. typically i get filled in saint louis,,, goes all the way to the top of gauge after the natural gas warms after blown down from 5500psi tank.. perfect 95% fill one time took in 10.2 gge .. that is the most ever.. i get 37 mpg average combined gas mileage

Leave a comment:

• Alaska GX
    replied

09 gx....700 miles

First time the bingo light came on was at 5 bars after an incomplete fill in town just to get home to my FM-2. After filling at home the light came on at 2 bars (194 miles).....it seems to vary a bit. Best range so far 214 miles and fill with 7ccf. I do not have a meter that breaks it down lower than 1 CCF so I will have to wait a while to get my range.

Leave a comment:

• CNGLO
    replied

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
    I have been down to 3 bars, that's the lowest my gauge has gone and have not seen the light yet. I figured that the light would come on after zero bars?
    My light on my '08 GX comes on at about 2-1/2 bars. Most miles driven on a tank was 229 with 2 bars remaining.

My largest fill was 7.473 GGE at the Jordan School District pumps. The pump read 3400 psi and ambient temperature was 34 degrees F. I was sweating on my last bar for about 10 miles.

Leave a comment:

• jetboatjohnny
    replied

I have been down to 3 bars, that's the lowest my gauge has gone and have not seen the light yet. I figured that the light would come on after zero bars?

Leave a comment:

• brianosu
    replied

I just purchased a 2009 GX in December and have almost 2000 miles on it, and I have a question about the low fuel light. Twice now the light has come on when there were 5 bars left - one of the times I drove about 45 miles with the light on down to 2 bars before filling up. The only other time the light came on was at 2 bars which would be expected, but coming on at 5 bars seems a little strange. Does anyone else's low fuel light come on at varying times? It kind of makes me wonder, which is a more accurate reflection of how much fuel you have left.... the light or the number of bars?

BTW, I am very happy with my GX. I commute about 100 miles/day, and have averaged 36 mpg since I've had it. The first couple of fillups were a little lower MPG though.

Leave a comment:

• freedml
    replied

I have a 2001 and a 2002. The most I've gotten for sure is 233. This has happened twice. Once the engine died after I had parked in the driveway to refill. The other time it stalled as I was putting the car in reverse to back into my driveway. Livin' life on the edge

Leave a comment:

• Andy Kmetz
    replied

I've now have three GX cars, an 07, an 04 and on 02. The fuel range all depends on the pressure of the fill and the speed and how you drive. I try to drive for mileage and not agressive and normally fill with 3000 psi fills. I've never made it to 240 miles yet, but the highest has been 227 miles on a tank. If properly filled to 3600psi, I'm sure it will do 240, but I'm afraid to push it that far. I made 221 miles on a trip from Kansas City to Claremore once on about a 3000 psi fill and the light was on for about 25 miles. I rarely have gotten more than 5 to 6 gallons on a fillup. Even at 3600 psi levels, I think I've only gotten 6.5 gallons in a fill. I understand that the public stations are not temperature compensated; that is you can get more volume of gas at lower temperatures. Hope that helps.

Andy in Oklahoma

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied

Hi Guys,
    The best I have done in my 09 GX is Hilsboro, OR to Medford, OR, 282 miles.
    I did a fast fill in the evening at 3600 and refilled in the morning after it cooled down. It took an additional 1.2 GGEs. The warning lamp was on for the last 30 miles. It took 7.3 GGEs to fill in Medford, I guess I was very lucky. Average temp was 25f. There is plenty of CNG on I5 along this route but they won't sell to the public. Maybe someday.

Linda 09 GX Silver

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

My 07 is also getting much better mileage. Seems like about an extra 3 dots on the gauge compared to summer. Alan

Leave a comment:

• jetboatjohnny
    replied

I have already noticed a much better range in my 2009 compared to my 1999 GX, I haven't topped off on my extended trips to the OC like I used to do. I drove 206 miles over Xmas, filled with 3 bars left and it took 5.7 GGE, not bad 36+ mpg with a lot of city driving.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X