GX below zero ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GX below zero ??

I was looking over the 08 window sticker and noticed the note ' may not work at -4 f '. Is this an issue with the GX ? Our average day time temp is above 0 during the winter, but we get a few weeks of the high being well below 0.

Will it help if I keep the trunk warm ? We typically have head bolt heaters on all cars in Alaska to help with the starting during the winter.

Re: GX below zero ??

There is also a warning inside the fuel door about -4 degree refueling. Might order an engine block heater from Honda. They offer it on the regular Civic, should work on the GX. Guess you could throw an electric blanket in the trunk, but I don't think it's the trunk temp that's an issue. Should be engine starts and refueling at sub -4 temps.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

It is just fast filling the fuel system at low tempuratures. The manual says -16C and the window sticker says -20C. Slow filling isn't an issue. You are getting a fuelmaker, right? As far as operating, I am in Michigan, and when its really cold, it just cranks slow. Its that 13:1 compression ratio.

Comment

Raul LV- Thanks

There are no public stations in Alaska. I'm going to install a FMQ2-36 at home.

Do you use a block heater during the winter ?

Any other cold related problems ?

Comment

No, I dont use anything else, but this isn't alaska either. We may only have a week were its below zero in a year. On the positive side, the GX uses 5W-20 oil, which is thin. My understanding of block heaters was to keep the oil liquid.

Natural gas burns hotter than gasoline, so you would think the car would warm up quickly, and melt your shoes. I haven't found that to be the case. I think because it does burn hotter, they beefed up the engine cooling. I am guessing when it gets cold again, I will be cutting up some cardboard to block the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by RaulLasVegas View Post
            I am in Michigan, and when its really cold, it just cranks slow. Its that 13:1 compression ratio.
            It's actually 12.5:1 compression on a GX.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
            X