Natural gas companie stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural gas companie stocks

With the influx of cng users nationwide, demand is going up, pipelines are being installed.......Does anyone know of any solid companies involved with cng that would be a wise investment?

Re: Natural gas companie stocks

PG and E in California would probably be a safe investment. Their a utility company that provides CNG to company and personal vehicles.

Comment

I don't know about safe, but I have been having a lot of fun with the Utica region stocks in Canada. TLM, QEC, PCQ, JNX, GMR and ATI. All on the Canadian exchanges. TLM is the safest, but I am holding PCQ right now.

Comment

There are dozens of excellent investments available in natural gas companies (UPL, XTO, FXEN, etc) and utilities (STR, CHK)- but cng is probably a losing proposition now and getting worse as the source of vehicles dries up.

The biggest actor, Clean Energy, is killing the goose through price gouging and monopolistic feeding practices. Even TB Pickins is now investing in electric wind generation- probably the real future; that is where you should invest.

"Legal" conversions are 2-3 times what they should be thanks to corruption and govt interference. The availability of OEM vehicles is drying up, demand vastly exceeds supply, driving prices up to where used vehicles are difficult to justify when they are available. Replacement parts are hard to come by. Home compressors are still too expensive for most users.

Try as I may, I just do NOT see any real upside to cng in the USA, though a few local markets may persist, at least for a few years.

Comment

Just read this article in the NYTimes. It has me concerned.
          John

Comment

I bought CLNE thinking it has a good future since they now have stations in Az and Las Vegas which sell fuel to the public w/ credit card. They also have many contract sales to city buses , etc. andseem to be growing rapidly.
            i also own CHK

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
              Don't Panic (in large, friendly letters)

We import (well, Canada doesn't count, Aey) less than 5% of Natural Gas.
              All of that is LNG. Mostly from Trinadad.

Even if use doubles or triples we will be ok.
              It's true that new Coal-fired electrical plants are rare.
              See the thread about unit 3 at the IPA (old IPP) in Utah.

The EIA has great data: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/natur...tural_gas.html

Remember: This is the (redacting --------) science (no global warming NASA and NOAA!) Bush administration so it's prob. more gloomy then reality. And it looks quite optimistic.
              CH

Comment

Originally posted by jfchenoweth View Post
                ...Does anyone know of any solid companies involved with cng that would be a wise investment?
                Questar (STR) is good. Wish I would have done it in 87'
                Yes, they are public, Questar Services is the monopoly.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=S...urce=undefined
                CH

Comment

Timon,
                  There may be an overall shortage of natgas in the world, but the natgas problem involves distribution limitations, not reserves. Natural gas is a local market unless pipelines exist to expand that market.

Many Western gas drillers capped new productive wells last year, partly because they had no way to get the gas to the eastern markets and partly because a record storage glut from several consecutive warm winters dropped prices below $2, where they lost money.

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                    Good eye. Thanks for the article.
                    1998 Honda GX
                    ebike

Comment

Originally posted by rtry9a View Post
                      There are dozens of excellent investments available in natural gas companies (UPL, XTO, FXEN, etc) and utilities (STR, CHK)- but cng is probably a losing proposition now and getting worse as the source of vehicles dries up.

The biggest actor, Clean Energy, is killing the goose through price gouging and monopolistic feeding practices. Even TB Pickins is now investing in electric wind generation- probably the real future; that is where you should invest.

"Legal" conversions are 2-3 times what they should be thanks to corruption and govt interference. The availability of OEM vehicles is drying up, demand vastly exceeds supply, driving prices up to where used vehicles are difficult to justify when they are available. Replacement parts are hard to come by. Home compressors are still too expensive for most users.

Try as I may, I just do NOT see any real upside to cng in the USA, though a few local markets may persist, at least for a few years.
                      If demand exceeds supply of NGV then shame on us all for not waking up to this issue before now and pushing the car manufactures for more production. Also a push for more education and establishing a strong nationwide CNG filling station infrastructure is needed. This should have already occurred by now if we'd have had the proper insight. But it isn't to late and hopefully current gasoline prices are starting to waken a sleeping giant. It did in my case.

Also CNG as I understand it will be used as one of the quickest sources to help bring on hydrogen fuels by extracting the hydrogen from CNG for fuel cell technology until other technologies can be developed. So I really believe CNG will be around and should be invested in in a big way. Look at Europe, Brazil and Argentina where the price of gasoline is much higher than here. These parts of the world are leading the way for NGV usage. We should be there too since sooner or later we will also be paying higher and higher prices for gasoline. World demand especially in countries like China and other Asian markets, I believe, will dictate it along with a dwindling crude oil supply.

I'd really be interested it finding out if any mutual fund companies have any portfolios that are heavily weighted in CNG or NG production, or pipeline infrastructure. Here in Wisconsin we have no local NG reserves but only pipelines to bring it in from other areas. Yet we are well under $2 GGE. No reason this can't be done on a nation wide scale given the proper investment.
                      Jerry

2007 Honda Civic GX NGV Owner
                      Saving $250/mo in fuel costs vs.
                      current gasoline prices :)^:)

Comment

EXCO Resources Inc. XCO T Boons NG Oil production co.

Comment

If anybody has an intrest in NG stocks besides CLNE and XCO look at EP GPX and GTLS. They all do work in NG either CNG or LNG. LNG is going to go big in Trucking$$$$

Comment

Checkout Chesapeake Energy (CHK)

http://www.google.com/search?q=Chesa...e7&rlz=1I7GGIC

Comment

Working...
                            X