GFI software and link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI software and link

Attached are the instructions for the diagnostic connector between the P8 connector in the GFI wiring (if so equipped) and a computer serial port (DB-9). Radio Shack has parts.

Sorry guys, the software won't transfer

Good luck and be careful

Larrycng
    Attached Files

Re: GFI software and link

There are different sub-routines in the aftermarket installed GFI. The FMon is the monitoring program. The FCom is the calibration table. Injflush is the injector flushing mode. Symtables or symbol files are the individual fuel mapping tables. Some had a record feature, sort of a short flight recorder too.

Other files are for the unique programs, usually identified by the old DOS 8.3 code, with the abbreviated vehicle, engine, and displacement.

Calibrating a GFI is not for the faint hearted. One wrong key punch and you wound up with a brick that would take someone with programming experience to unlock.

There are two versions of the program. FMON is the DOS version, while WINFMON is the Windows version. The WINFMON is the only one that will read dual O2 sensors for the GFI-2. The DOS version is faster but a bit archaic and will not work well with Vista, and doesnt like XP much.

The cable uses a serial connector and finding a compatible USB-Serial adapter that works can be frustrating. I have 4 of them, and not a single of them works twice in a row. I have to continually swap them out.

Franz

Comment

I just got off the phone with Stewart and Stevenson. They have no record of the cable in their system at all. They pull up a connector with the part number for the connector but have no record of stock on them or even having sold one. They had no other details on these components. Any ideas on how to get connectors or cables?

Comment

Stewart and Stevenson probably hasn't seen a GFI unit in 10 years.

The plug on the other end is 4 pin Weather Pak made orignally by Delco-Packard. You should be able to get it from NAPA, Carquest or a GM dealer.

These plugs have "key slots" cut in the plastic shields around some of the pins, to make the plug idiot proof, you may have to a cut a slot to get the plug into the J-8 connector (I did when I made mine) The pins on the plug are lettered for identification (A-D). You will need a male connector, just follow the diagram. With the lock tab up and the pins facing away, the pins from left to right are labeled D,C,B,A.

Also look at Franz's post a couple above this post. I got lucky with two early bi-fuels I worked on. The one I made works great on the dedicated vehicles on which it has been used. I used some flat 4 conductor trailer hook up wire for my link.

Good luck

Larrycng

Comment

I'm going to go to the junkyard and see what I can scrounge up. If nothing else then I will just have to "roll my own".

Comment

Am getting a "missing GFI026f3.sym The Symbol Table that matches the kit cannont be found" error after startup and initialization of Fmon.

It appears to be connecting fine to the car but needs the symbol file to initialize. Its a 2000 Contour, anybody have any more symbol files?

Comment

I just did a search of my GFI Symbol table inventory and didnt find it either. In the past, when that comment came up, it meant that that symbol table was probably proprietary Ford/GFI. Someone else MIGHT have it though.

Franz

Comment

anybody have the fmon or winfmon software? i have friend with a dead 99 ford contour, i am going to take a stab at figuring out what is wrong...
                i'll make the cable tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                X