Austin to Boston on CNG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin to Boston on CNG!

I am taking a trip from Austin to Boston in a converted Chevy Tahoe as part of my grad thesis work at UT Austin. I welcome any tips or advice. I will be blogging the adventure along the route at www dot greenamericanroadtrip dot com. Thanks!

Re: Austin to Boston on CNG!

Hello let me know when you start I am in Boston I do VW convertions www.CNGVW.com I was hoping to do a trip from the tip of ME to Key West in one of my CNG BI-Fuel Beetles this year.
    Bob Mann

Comment

I think this is awsome! Feel free to chronicle your adventure right here in the Road Trip forum. With over 7,000 members you'll have an interested group to follow along on your trip. Let us know where else you will be posting your blogs and we'll try and keep up. Be sure to use cngprices.com to help with your refueling needs and don't forget that there is a Trip Planner on the site to assist you. Best of luck.

This is exactly the type of thing that brings positive publicity to our community. Be sure to tell everyone along the way to check out our site to learn more about CNG vehicles, as well as our sister site cngprices so they can check infrastructure in their area.

Are you doing anything with the media along the way? If not, you should be. What about visiting Clean Cities Coalitions along the way? You can find them here: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/cleanciti..._locations.php. I'm sure they could help you with drawing media attention in their area if you give them a heads up before you begin your trip. Wish we were there to tag along. Guess we'll have to settle for your reports.

Comment

After looking at the cngprices.com map, there is a lot of dark territory along that route (about 905 miles of it between Dallas, TX and Columbus, OH). How do you intend to do this? Do you get extremely good mileage? Carrying extra tanks? Bi-fuel?

I am going to Bemidji, MN at the end of the month and will fill with CNG as much as I can along the way with my bi-fuel pickup but there is only one CNG filling station between Kansas City and Bemidji and that is a non-operational Centerpoint station in Minnesota. Very disappointing!
        Bob Baldwin
        2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
        2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

I am actually a more southern route, Austin --> Houston --> Baton Rouge --> Milton, FL --> Birmingham --> Atlanta --> Charlotte --> Newport, VA --> Wash DC --> NYC --> Providence --> Boston. The longest stretch is about 260 miles and I am taking a dual fuel Chevrolet Tahoe with extra tanks. I have about gallon equivalent capacity. While it is dual-fuel I plan to do the whole thing on CNG. I have a link my route on the website. greenamericanroadtrip.com

Comment

To iHeartGas in Austin, TX . . . . absolutely FABULOUS that you're doing a cross-country trip to chronicle CNG use !! Be sure to let NGV America and other large natural gas ngv supporters know about your trip, as they can give you additional exposure on the web as well. Maybe even a sponsor like SWAGELOK or IMPCO, etc. might be interested in your trip to plaster some advertising logo's on your Tahoe, ensure you get cooperation in filling at various Public/Private cng sites, sponsor money, etc.

I personally have done one-way trip from Albany, NY to OKC, OK in a dedicated Honda Civic GX. Took weeks of phone calls ahead of time to get necessary refueling cards, etc. There is great gas company in Plymouth Meeting, PA that will will give you free fillups when you're up that way.

Best of luck to you . . . and educate the USA that CNG is the BEST SOLUTION for today's pollution and overpriced liquid petrol fuels. CNG all across the USA !!

cngacrossusa

Comment

Originally posted by iheartgas View Post
              I am actually a more southern route, Austin --> Houston --> Baton Rouge --> Milton, FL --> Birmingham --> Atlanta --> Charlotte --> Newport, VA --> Wash DC --> NYC --> Providence --> Boston. The longest stretch is about 260 miles and I am taking a dual fuel Chevrolet Tahoe with extra tanks. I have about gallon equivalent capacity. While it is dual-fuel I plan to do the whole thing on CNG. I have a link my route on the website. greenamericanroadtrip.com
              Excellent!! I really look forward to getting your updates.

What is your capacity?
              Last edited by Curtis; 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM.
              Bob Baldwin
              2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
              2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all of your responses! I actually have a dual-fuel Tahoe with 21 gge!! The std 2 tank add plus 3 additional giving me over 400 mile cng range if I get good fuel economy. I am having the best time planning this trip. Everyone is so helpful and passionate about CNG. I have been spending a lot of time on the phone with stations to ensure I can refuel, and everyone has a great story. Please visit my blog and make comments, most of the site visitors aren't as well-versed in all of this as you all so your knowledge will be very helpful! www dot greenamericanroadtrip dot com
                Last edited by iheartgas; 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

If I can Help just email me [email protected]
                  I had build a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo CNG BI-FUEL last year and sold it to a very nice man Craig from Wisconsin a few weeks back. He flue out to Boston MA to drive it back.
                  He just finished his trip. Drove from Boston MA to Connecticut to New York he stopped off at the Green trade show. Than off to Florida to Tennessee than none stop to Wisconsin.
                  He used CNG when he could get it. He called last night to tell me it ran great the whole way and busted the MPG on Gasoline to 34 to the GAL. And I know my set up on CNG gets 40+ to a GAL of CNG.

I will ask him to post some of his trip to me to share with you.
                  I just finished my news VW CNG 2001 TURBO Beetle CNG BI-FUEL it runs even better then the Jetta did.
                  Bob Mann
                  www.CNGVW.com

here is the engine set up for the Beetle

Comment

Wow 21 GGE!! Where you are going to put the Hubby?
                    Bob Baldwin
                    2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                    2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Just visited the GreenAmericanRoadTrip website and it's very nice !! Excellent information overall . . . would like to also have Ford mentioned that you can buy a Ford Focus converted to cng . . . . and also now there are Ford dealerships in OK that will convert F-150 pickups for bi-fuel cng/petrol use. Would also be nice to have Chevy Impala of NaturalDrive mentioned as an NGV available today as well.

Great to see that Apache is a sponsor as I ran into guy filling at Ponca City, OK and he said that Apache is in process of building 10 cng refueling sites . . . .yep that's right . . . 10 CNG REFUELING sites that likely will be private for company trucks. Now what I recommend is we convince Apache to also open up all those 10 pumps to be public cng refueling as well !!

Keep up the good work . . . sometime soon we can drive CNG all across the USA !!

Comment

The website looks good. Do you have some pics that show the installation and/or configuration of the cng tanks? Thanks.

09 GX

Comment

Great idea. The car is down in Houston right now but when I see it again I will take some photos and post them.

Comment

Any support for your cause by local companies there in Austin, TX ? Could Dell Computer step up and support a green cause like CNG given Dell is such a huge employer there in Austin?

Does Austin now have 2 sites for public cng refueling?

Comment

Looks like fun! Thanks for posting!
                              2002 Cavalier
                              2003 Cavalier
                              2004 Cavalier

Comment

Working...
                              X