Trying to get to Carmel from OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get to Carmel from OC

Obviously I have to go 101, and then cut over somewhere south of Salinas. However I need to fuel up before venturing to the coast. The Salinas PG&E station seems like my only choice. Is its outside or behind a gate. Is it reliable?

Re: Trying to get to Carmel from OC

Originally posted by dmccrary90025 View Post
    Obviously I have to go 101, and then cut over somewhere south of Salinas. However I need to fuel up before venturing to the coast. The Salinas PG&E station seems like my only choice. Is its outside or behind a gate. Is it reliable?
    There is no gate. The station was operational each of the 20+ times I went there to fill up. Note it is poorly lit at night and is located in a not-so-nice part of town, just off 101. Last time I was filling up there at night, the police were scouring the area for a fugitive.
    Last edited by jschaub; 05-25-2009, 01:03 AM.
    Patent Counsel
    '04 F150 Dedicated
    '11 Civic GX
    '11 BMW ActiveE
    FMQ2-36
    FM4

Comment

You need a PG&E card. I fuel at BAkersfield PG&E then go to PG&E Los BAnos when I do SoCal to Norcal on I-5. Check route planner on cngprices.com

Comment

Originally posted by K38Bob View Post
        You need a PG&E card. I fuel at BAkersfield PG&E then go to PG&E Los BAnos when I do SoCal to Norcal on I-5. Check route planner on cngprices.com
        You go to Bakersfield and then to Los Banos? Isn't that out of the way? Can you get from Santa Clarita to Los Banos?
        1998 Honda GX
        ebike

Comment

I did the run from Santa Clarita to Los Banos in my 2008 GX. It is 232 miles
          and I had 4 bars left. I pumped in 4.921 GGE in Los Banos. I had the cruise
          control set at 70mph.

I know this looks like 47mpg, but the the station in Santa Clarita probably
          filled the tank higher, so the mpg was actually less than that. However, I did
          get terrific mileage that weekend ... I averaged 43mpgge over 1000 miles of
          highway driving.

-dbiskup

Comment

"I averaged 43mpgge over 1000 miles"...not possible.

Comment

I have a consistent fuel supply, and can get fairly good MPG numbers and have gotten 42.5 MPG at highway speeds 70 mph and under no problem. Faster speeds and your mileage will drop dramatically.
              BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by K38Bob View Post
                I live in Sacramento, CA, and have thought driving to San Diego. What is the path you take from I-5 to Bakersfield to refuel?

Comment

Originally posted by natkingcoal View Post
                  "I averaged 43mpgge over 1000 miles"...not possible.
                  I regularly get over 40 mpg in all-highway driving.

Comment

Working...
                  X