GX's Trip to LA Didn't go so well - Major Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GX's Trip to LA Didn't go so well - Major Damage

After having the 2007 GX for less than a month, it was time for my first major road trip. San Jose - Palos Verdes was to be today's leg.

Since I didn't have my PG&E card yet, I carefully mapped my route down
    99 with primary and alternate fueling spots. Then UPS delivered my PG&E card this morning and made the planning easier.

Got the road later than planned and was going down 101 in Morgan Hill, not far from where I would have taken 152 east and a Ford Explorer came out of the lane to the left of me an smashed into the rear of my car. I was going 60 and she was going a lot faster. The left rear is caved in well, the fender and trunk. The Expedition went over the bumper. The wheel wasn't rubbing and I didn't smell gas, so I drove it home to a body shop. Drove okay. I had to pry the trunk open to get my stuff and saw that the tank had moved a lot. I didn't open up the barrier, but it had been pushed around.

I would think that the tank shouldn't be moving around, so it is, that is pretty major damage. Is that the case?

thanks -

Re: GX's Trip to LA Didn't go so well - Major Damage

Bummer about the wreck
    My first thought is that the body shop needs to contact an authorized GX dealer such as Curt's shop to review the safety issues here, including emptying the tank of fuel (best to run it out rather than attempt venting). One thing is for sure -- the body shop must not put the car into a paint oven if there is any fuel onboard.

Comment

Honda has protocol on managing collision damaged GX's. This info can be found in the GX supplemental manual. First, shut down the tank by turning off the emergency shut off valve. Second have the vehicle taken to an authorized GX dealer; where they can safely vent the tank. The tank will have to be tested, however my experience with this situation usely means the tank is required to be replaced if involved in a rear end collision, regardless if it passes the test.
      2009 GX
      2000 K2500
      2002 Cavalier
      1998 Contour
      Phill powered by solar power

Comment

Glad no one was hurt.

The cylinder needs to have a detailed visual inspection by a certified inspector, either CSA or Lincoln. Just for fun I would have Lincoln look at the tank to determine if it is serviceable.

Shooting from the hip, you might want to try and have Lincoln give you a new tank (or at a hell of discount), and let the keep the old one one for testing. What damage occured in a real life accident?? Just a thought from an old chisler.

Larrycng

Comment

Not really on message with how to fix your car, that in itself is very disturbing. Its really a testimony to the safety of this car! Hope your back is OK too.

Personally I'd sell the car or get the insurance co "total it." That is my view. Let someone else bother and worry about the repairs. That should not be your problem.

On another matter, why did you choose 99 over 101? I go thru Morgan Hill from SF to LA and use the San Jose AIrport stop, then San Luis Obispo as my next stop, then I am good until LAX. Just my suggestion if you do it again.

99 is a drag, even if you have a PG&E card, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Comment

I can relate, last week my wife decided to back our 09 GX into our parked 08 Accord. Needless to say my civic needs new DMV stickers and 5k worth of damage

Comment

Just reading old posts and realized I hadn't followed up on this one.

Ultimately I did get this totalled. It took a couple of months to wrap it all up, but Geico (her insurance co) was pretty good about all of it.
              The body shop quoted $9,300, Honda Stevens Creek quoted $8,000 to replace the NG tank and the used car manager said he'd give me $6,000 when it was fixed for a diminished value of over $8,500 or a total of $22,500 of damages.

Geico gave me $19,500 including sales tax. Bought a 2009 on Ebay from the Honda in Torrance for a nice price in early June. Got the car pool stickers a week ago, still no plates.

I'll be driving the new GX to LA again next week and I'll do 101.

Originally posted by dmccrary90025 View Post
              Not really on message with how to fix your car, that in itself is very disturbing. Its really a testimony to the safety of this car! Hope your back is OK too.

Personally I'd sell the car or get the insurance co "total it." That is my view. Let someone else bother and worry about the repairs. That should not be your problem.

On another matter, why did you choose 99 over 101? I go thru Morgan Hill from SF to LA and use the San Jose AIrport stop, then San Luis Obispo as my next stop, then I am good until LAX. Just my suggestion if you do it again.

99 is a drag, even if you have a PG&E card, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Comment

Got the car pool stickers a week ago, still no plates.
                Whattttttttt? How can you get carpool decals without plates?
                Mario
                AAA CNG SYSTEMS
                CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Comment

If you got someone who wasn't on their game at DMV you lucked out. The plate # is a requirement of issuing the decals. Usually they's sit on your app for 3-4 weeks, mail it back to you and ask for you to resubmit with the missing info... then 3 more weeks to get the sticker. I guess you're just lucky.

Comment

Working...
                  X