L.A. to SLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.A. to SLC

Picked up a new '08 GX at Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance yesterday. Flew down in the morning and started driving back. Kudos to Mike and Juliana for handling the airport pickup and the paperwork. Smooth as silk! I was at the dealership for 10 minutes.

Chart a course that takes you through Azuza. There is an excellent 3600 psi pump there.

Skip Victorville. You have to have a "training PIN number" to use the pump, and you can't get one. The training gadget is busted.

Fill in Barstow.

Drive nice and easy to Vegas so as to conserve fuel. I believe it is possible to stretch it all the way to St. George in a pinch, so just in case you can't work out a fill in Vegas you could try that. (A/C OFF, 65 mph all the way. You'll probably make it.)

In Vegas, the safe bet is to exit I-15 at Washington. Just east of the freeway, toward the strip, is A-Street. I mean JUST east of the freeway! It's almost a frontage road. Enter A-street through a nice concrete block wall. The fueling station is right there. You MUST have a commercial fueling card! Best to call Haycock Petroleum ahead of time and order a pre-paid card. $20 will be more than enough. My CFN card worked, but make sure you call ahead to make sure an "alternate" card will work....and even then I'd recommend getting the Haycock card anyway. My CFN didn't work at another station run by the same people and I thought I was going to be stranded in Sin City.

If all else fails in Vegas, call this number: 1-702-334-4346. That's the personal phone number of a guy who works for the contractor that handles all the CNG stations around Las Vegas. I think his name is Jim, but I can't remember. Great guy! He'll rescue you. Hook him up with a very generous tip, though, or that service might dry up. I didn't end up needing his help, but he said I could pass on his number in case anybody else gets in a jam.

Don't bother with the fueling station way out northwest of the Strip. It's out of your way, you don't need to go there, and cops might hassle you for using the "private" facility. (It's public, but they aren't the brightest bulbs on the string.)

Don't try to use the one on Losee Road. It's closed.

Don't try to use the one at the gas company's facility. Security won't let you in after hours and they're downright insulting at that. To hell with them, I say.

Stick with the one at Washington and A-street, using a pre-paid Haycock card, and you'll be fine. You'll be in and out and back on the freeway in 5 minutes.

IF you get a fill in Vegas you can easily make Cedar City and the 24-hour station on south Main Street. Just take the first exit, and the station is just east of the freeway. There are a couple of budget motels if you're ready to just crash for the night.

If you DON'T get a fill in Vegas, and you're smart enough not to waste your fuel wandering around trying to find some (hint, hint) you MUST fill in St. George. But you MUST get there before 9 pm or you're out of luck. Either way, you MUST top up in Cedar City to make it to Springville. I believe you can get to SLC from Cedar City, but why chance it?

In short:

1. Azuza.
    2. Barstow.
    3. Vegas at Washington and A-street, if possible.
    4. St. George if you missed Vegas. (And I hope you've been driving slow!)
    5. Cedar City regardless. Good place to stop for the night and shorten your drive the next morning.
    6. Springville Flying J off exit 261.

Those instructions have been won at a tremendous expense to my sanity.

-mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 05-11-2008, 01:42 PM.

Re: L.A. to SLC

By the way: You can Google the specifics on the Azuza and Barstow locations. They're pretty easy to find.

Comment

Thanks, Mickey. You just simplified my trip to Vegas on 5/13/08 to the Expo.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

even easier to 'cngprices.com' them!

the 'training code' is a CE thing and each credit card will have one code for all CE pumps. I write it on the back with a marker so I don't have to either remember it or go through the training each time. Non-CE stations don't have that and they work just as well as CE stations with lower prices!
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

It's the pump manufacture not the CNG supplier. Example, all Garbarco pumps use the same pin code system.
          John

Comment

I have found using the PIN number 13 works at Barstow, no matter what card I insert .
            Also, Barstow St. George is 275 miles... you will never make it in a GX. Gotta fill in Vegas, no way around it.

St. George will soon be 24 hrs once they get the card reader working. (edited to add it is now operational!)

Also, if you arrive between 6am and 6pm (sometimes later) you can fill between Cedar City and Springville at the Chevron in Fillmore (exit 163). The Questar guide is here:
            http://www.questargas.com/FuelingSys...tion5_1_08.pdf

Comment

I tried 13 for the PIN for one of my cards and it did not work. Maybe they fixed that issue

The bathroom code does work

Their system also seems a bit fussy about cards. I was trying to help a guy from UT with the station. It did not like several of his cards. I know one was a Discover card. He finally got about the third card he tried to work. Sorry, I am not sure what the problem was though. I used my Master Card debit card without a problem. The video was not working, but it did give a PIN number after it ran. The thing is, being from UT, he did not get to see how to use the connectors common in CA. So, I showed him how it works.

Going north I had gotten such a good fill at Victorville "D" st., I got almost nothing at Barstow.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
                Fill in Barstow.

Drive nice and easy to Vegas so as to conserve fuel. I believe it is possible to stretch it all the way to St. George in a pinch, so just in case you can't work out a fill in Vegas you could try that. (A/C OFF, 65 mph all the way. You'll probably make it.)

In Vegas, the safe bet is to exit I-15 at Washington. Just east of the freeway, toward the strip, is A-Street. I mean JUST east of the freeway! It's almost a frontage road. Enter A-street through a nice concrete block wall. The fueling station is right there. You MUST have a commercial fueling card! Best to call Haycock Petroleum ahead of time and order a pre-paid card. $20 will be more than enough. My CFN card worked, but make sure you call ahead to make sure an "alternate" card will work....and even then I'd recommend getting the Haycock card anyway. My CFN didn't work at another station run by the same people and I thought I was going to be stranded in Sin City.

If all else fails in Vegas, call this number: 1-702-334-4346. That's the personal phone number of a guy who works for the contractor that handles all the CNG stations around Las Vegas. I think his name is Jim, but I can't remember. Great guy! He'll rescue you. Hook him up with a very generous tip, though, or that service might dry up. I didn't end up needing his help, but he said I could pass on his number in case anybody else gets in a jam.

Don't bother with the fueling station way out northwest of the Strip. It's out of your way, you don't need to go there, and cops might hassle you for using the "private" facility. (It's public, but they aren't the brightest bulbs on the string.)

Don't try to use the one on Losee Road. It's closed.

Don't try to use the one at the gas company's facility. Security won't let you in after hours and they're downright insulting at that. To hell with them, I say.

Stick with the one at Washington and A-street, using a pre-paid Haycock card, and you'll be fine. You'll be in and out and back on the freeway in 5 minutes.

-mickey
                Mickey, you are a genius. . . . OK just helpful. I'm buying my car at Scott Robinson today and was stressing over my GPS and useless Dept of Resources info. THANKS!
                Last edited by MCalley; 07-25-2008, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Anyone in Vegas tomorrow with a Haycock Petroleum card in their possession? My wife and I are stranded in Vegas over the weekend (Saturday July 25th & Sunday July 26th)and are wanting to get back to work Monday AM.

We were feeling a bit pressured by our dealership to come take possession of the our 08 GX immediately or they would sell to someone else. Talk about supply and demand! We have made a major oversight in our rush to complete the deal! Worst case scenario, we show up at Haycock Petroleum Monday morning, but I'm a bit short on vacation time at my job.

Anybody that can help us, please? (Sound of crickets and sagebrush blowing in the distance)

If you do, we will buy you a drink or even dinner!

Please call Marc at 801-513-9388 or Cindy at 801-654-0784

Comment

Working...
                  X