Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questar CNG to drop 25 cents per gallon Dec. 23, 2010

From Questar Gas web site:
    Congress voted to continue a long-standing 50-cent-per-gallon tax credit for those who dispense natural gas for vehicles. As a result, Questar Gas has applied the credit to its 2010 investment to improve CNG stations. Beginning Dec. 23, however, the company split the credit – half is used to reduce the price of natural gas at the pump by 25 cents per gallon, and the other half will be designated for CNG-station improvements.

As discussed in another thread, the 50 cent per gasoline gallon equivalent tax credit was made retroactive through all of 2010 and will expire at the end of 2011. Kudos to Questar for passing along half of this credit to the consumer while retaining half to ensure the infrastructure continues to improve for motorists in Utah and Wyoming.

Re: Questar CNG to drop 25 cents per gallon Dec. 23, 2010

Thanks Questar... the best natgas utility in the Country!

Comment

CNG in Utah only $.25 lower

Questar recently lowered the price of fuel by $.25 and has stated on their website that the other $.25 would be used for station improvements. Can anyone give me more information about these improvements or who at Questar I could contact to share my concerns and suggestions?

Please don't misunderstand I am not ungrateful for the decrease but would be interested in how they will be using the rest of the money that I wish could be applied at the pump.
      Last edited by John Mitton; 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM. Reason: Combined two rapid fire posts from same member

Comment

Re: CNG in Utah only $.25 lower

Please don't forget that the $.50 rebate is to the service provider... and not to the customer/consumer. Questar is not obliged to forward any of that money and the fact that they're sharing 1/2 is commendable. Utah has the second least expensive natural gas (at the station) in the United States.

Don't forget that they've been making serious upgrades to their infrastructure while adding stations too. It's still a GREAT deal and crude oil is at nearly $92 a barrel today. Guess where gasoline is going?

Comment

Back in the September of 2008, Questar reported to KSL that they were dispensing 400,000 gallons of CNG a month. If that rate is still the same today and Questar is using $0.25/gal for station improvements, then Questar will be using $100,000 a month for station improvements. To me that is a lot of dinero. I know that stations are expensive to build and maintain. This country needs good quality stations to get over "the cart before the horse" issue with CNG. I would gladly give some of the tax credit back to building and maintaining the infrastructure. Below is the link to KSL were it mentions the 400,000 gallons a month.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4366080
          Jared.
          Mountain Green, Utah
          2003 CNG Cavalier
          2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Didn't Questar get stimulus money from earlier Obama bills to "improve" pumps? I find it interesting they are claiming .25 cents to help pay to improve pumps plus they get the stimulus money too.

If they add more pumps, I am all for that. I wish they would add more instead of upgrading existing.

Comment

The stimilus grant paid less than 30% of the cost, and each new station or upgrade is $750,000 or more. In the last 12-14months there were 5 new stations and 8 upgrades. You do the math!

Comment

I actually wrote Questar about the matter and they replied with the following. I guess we should count our blessings:
                Thank you for your comment. The 50-cent-per-gallon tax credit that Congress voted to continue has always been a credit for those who dispense natural gas for vehicles, not a credit for motorists who use the fuel. While most dispensers keep the credit, we chose temporarily to pass it along to customers through a lower pump price. Now that the credit will continue, Questar will apply it toward this year’s significant investment in upgrading and building CNG stations. Dec. 23, however, the company split the credit – half is used to reduce the price of dispensed natural gas 25-cents per gallon and the remainder will be used for future CNG-station development. We appreciate you and every other motorist who drives a natural gas vehicle for helping to improve our air quality and supporting the use of a domestically-produced fuel. We remain committed to providing Utahns with an affordable alternative transportation fuel and a safe and convenient CNG fueling infrastructure.

Comment

Questar thinks they have the right to keep the tax credit to themselves, but does the Public Service Commission agree?

Questar had to get Utah PSC approval for the (July) 26 cent increase referencing compression and refueling equipment. They are effectively keeping the 50 cent increase from July to December. That is a 76 cent increase that wasn't approved by the PSC.

That 50 cents that we have been paying and questar is going to claim from the government for the last 6 months is $1.2M. (using 400,000gge/month)

Feels like a class action lawsuit if Questar doesn't get the PSC approval.
                  Last edited by Harpoon; 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by old man View Post
                    The stimilus grant paid less than 30% of the cost, and each new station or upgrade is $750,000 or more. In the last 12-14months there were 5 new stations and 8 upgrades. You do the math!
                    Thank you Questar for giving 25 cents back to us and not taking all of the 50-cent-tax-credit like CE does.
                    Last edited by Highmarker; 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM.
                    Jared.
                    Mountain Green, Utah
                    2003 CNG Cavalier
                    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Harpoon View Post
                      Questar thinks they have the right to keep the tax credit to themselves, but does the Public Service Commission agree?

Questar had to get Utah PSC approval for the (July) 26 cent increase referencing compression and refueling equipment. They are effectively keeping the 50 cent increase from July to December. That is a 76 cent increase that wasn't approved by the PSC.

That 50 cents that we have been paying and questar is going to claim from the government for the last 6 months is $1.2M. (using 400,000gge/month)

Feels like a class action lawsuit if Questar doesn't get the PSC approval.

Maybe you need a refesher on how you used to feel -

" Re: Brigham City Station - Open but not working!
                      I have been using Brigham city station for 3 weeks now and rarely get more than a half a tank, only seen 3/4 tank once. The pump is filling the car at 2900psi and bam it stops the pump. I feel like it is putting the gas at 2900psi but my tank is only at 2500psi before the pump kicks off. I have filled this station on my Cavi and F-150 and both are getting terrible for fills. Is anyone else on here regularly using this station? What is is your experience?

-Harp "

So what do you want? Crappy fills for $1.02 or perfect fills for $1.27 ?
                      Or option 3 - Clean Energy fills @ $2.50 a gallon?

The 1.2 million questar may get from the government wont even pay for 10% of what they did this last year. Good luck with your lawsuit, LOL.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the equipment. Questar asked for a 26 cent increase and got it from the PSC then put in the equipment. I am more than happy to pay 26 cents for the improved equipment.

However that Questar is trying to get an additional 25 cents without the approval of the PSC. If they can really justify the price increase then the PSC will allow it.

Also I don't fill up at Brigham city anymore even when I am headed to Idaho I always skip it. Never had good luck at that station after they put it in.

Comment

Working...
                        X