Prices raised again???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prices raised again???

A buck fifty per gge! Please throw me (and just about every California CNG consumer) into that briar patch.

Comment

Originally posted by anderbl View Post
      please tell me someone has heard rumors about the cost coming back down i need to good news. i wrote to our state reps and just got a form letter back telling me they are doing there best. has anyone heard anything?
      If you are complaining about $1.52/GGE, then maybe you ought to look into buying a VRA. Better yet, just get an EV and forget about gas prices all together.
      Jared.
      Mountain Green, Utah
      2003 CNG Cavalier
      2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

What is a VRA?

Comment

Vehicle Refueling Appliance such as the FuelMaker series.
          http://www.impcotechnologies.com/fuelmaker.asp

Comment

A dollar a gallon spread aint gona make the CNG market take off. Make it cheap and they will come. I'm just saying.

Comment

Here in SoCal I know people that drive miles out of their way because Costco sells gas a nickel cheaper than you can get gas for at AM/PM. I get CNG for 1.92-2.49 most places and am very happy to save the money over 2.99 regular (or the 3.99 premium I have to use in some of the bikes).

Combined with HOV lane access, a pretty good infrastructure (I figure I am usually no more than 15 miles away from a station anywhere I am) and I have now 3 CNG vehicles. More and more people I talk to and work with are interested in "that weird car with the HOV stickers you drive".

Personally I dont understand people that dont get it? There was one guy I worked with that drove a Porsche Carrera. I told him I would race him for $500 in my 1999 Honda GX. I just get to pick the start, finish and time of day... he never would take me up on my proposal of Santa Monica to San Juan Capistrano. We leave Friday at 3pm.. can't imagine why not.... lol

Comment

Even with infrastructure building that UT is doing, I'd say that hitting $1.50 / gge is plenty high in percentage terms. Commodity price of NG has fallen below $4/Mcf so cost of fuel for public cng is minimal. Further, the $2 to $2.50 that CE/GE is gouging out of CA customers is total racketeering in my book. Highest price anywhere in USA (most remote town like say ski resort in Tahoe) should be $1.99 with current dirt cheap commodity NG.

Last week I got normal unleaded gas for $2.42 at Murphy USA out in front of Walmart here in OK. That was after I got my fill of $1.24 cng at Okla Natural Gas. Nationwide, public cng price should be from $0.89/gge to around $1.40/gge. Please Obama, nationalize cng as fuel of current revitalization, and set price at $0.99/gge with incentives to new entrants to public fueling (NO more subsidies to CE/GE monopoly) and let's get going !!

Comment

The problem is not the price, the problem is the limited infrastructure. Even here in Southern California (where we have highest density of stations in the country) we drive with one eye on the road and the other on the fuel gauge.

To be honest, a realistic view on infrastructure puts us in a bind on prices. Our greatest need is more stations, and the only way to get more stations is to make them profitable. We can complain about Clean Energy, but CE has yet to earn a profit.

If a station costs a million dollars to build and you can make 50 cents a GGE, you need to move 2 million GGE to break even. If you pump 100 GGE an hour 12 hours a day, it takes about 5 years to break even. That doesn't include rent, salaries, repairs, maintenance, taxes, or the time value of money. (Of course we could ask for subsidies from the Government, but that just means that someone else foots the bill.)

This stuff is harder than it looks, so maybe we should go easy on those who have the courage and optimism to build these stations.

Just a final note on the Government's role. There is one strong argument for Government leveling the playing field.

Currently, our energy system does not bear the full market cost of terrorism, oil spills, national security, and pollution (including CO2). Subsidizing NG is one way to do this, but the better way is to tax gas and diesel so that they bear market prices. A $1 per gallon gasoline tax would raise over $100 billion per year.

In order to make a transition, a tiny amount of these increased taxes could be used to build infrastructure. For example, $1 billion would build 1000 "million dollar" stations. If a meaningful rebate/credit were available to station entrepreneurs, $1 billion would pay half the cost of 2000 stations. And $1 billion of rebates compared to a $100 billion revenue increase is governmental chump change.

This does not need to give more money to a wasteful government. The higher taxes could be refunded dollar for dollar to lower payroll and income taxes.

Comment

Very few dispensers were actually built standalone to serve the retail market (us). Most were built either by the utilities to promote NG usage or as add-ons to a commercial installation, like a municipal or school bus yard, and most of those add-ons were paid for by government subsidies. The cities and school districts get a favorable price on fuel. Why not, if they are getting a subsidy, give the same deal to the taxpayers!
                    02 GX
                    01 GX
                    03 Crown Vic
                    06 GX
                    Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
                    X