Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moab CNG station cooperative - who's in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moab CNG station cooperative - who's in?

OK, I'm about to take the plunge and set up a little fast-fill station in Moab. It would start out with two FM-Q2-36 Fuelmakers and 20 DOT cylinders in a basket for approx. 70 gge at the facility. It will have a three stage fill post. A Civic would get about 3300 psi; a 20 gge truck would get about 2800 psi. Having the two Fuelmakers provides some redundancy in case one goes down and we could easily add more compressors and storage if there is interest in growing the site.

The planned location is just south of town at a condo project we are building down there. We are right on top of a Questar gas main with lots of space to put in this setup.

I would like to set this up as a co-op arrangement for those interested in buying into having fuel down there, much like a houseboat timeshare. The equipment will be about $18k and the installation probably another $2k or so. My thought is to have 20 shares in the co-op for $1k each and I will step up to the plate for the first 5 or maybe 10 shares. There would be annual maintenance fees and you would be required to pay for the cost of the gas & compression for each time you used the facility. We would have a simple meter on the fill post for you to log your usage. Since this would be a private station we would not need to go to the full-blown dispenser with weights & measures requirements.

The condos also have some rental units, so another thought would be to offer CNG refueling for those who come down to rent them over the weekend, etc. thus providing some limited public access too.

Who's in?

Re: Moab CNG station cooperative - who's in?

I think this is an amazing idea. If I lived down there I would be in in a heartbeat. I usually go there once or twice a year, so a public option would be great. It would make me consider renting a condo.
    www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I, and several other friends and family members would absolutely fill up at a PUBLIC station in Moab at least twice a year.

Whatever you decide to do, I think you should consider providing a way for an outsider to purchase your gas. Even if you end up with a co-op, you may want to consider providing a way to allow non-members to fill up, we might need to pay more, or sign a waiver to take you off the hook for the "weights & measures requirements". Co-op members would get priority on filling, or non-members may only be allowed to fill at certain off-peak hours, etc...

My two cents.

Comment

I think that is a great idea, I spend allot of time in Moab. What about the costs to maintain the equipment? What would that be per gge?

Comment

I wish I could help, I'd love to have CNG in Moab. I go through Moab a couple times a year on my way to visit family in New Mexico, and a couple more times just to go to Moab. But it seems like it'd take me quite awhile to recoup the investment, so a public option would be what I'd need. With 14.9 million in stimulus funds, I can't believe they didn't put a small station in there!

Comment

There must be a way to make a public station in Moab feasible. What would it take?

Comment

A small PUBLIC station would be great. I only get to Moab once every two or three years.

Best of luck on a private station.

Comment

Working...
              X