No announcement yet.

More red tape? Utah's legislative bill "Certification of Retrofit CNG Vehicles"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More red tape? Utah's legislative bill "Certification of Retrofit CNG Vehicles"

You know the old saying: "Nobody's life, liberty or property is safe while Congress is in session" ...

I was browsing around the 2010 Utah Legislature web site tonight and the following proposed legislation jumped off the page:

Certification of Retrofit Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles
    http://le.utah.gov/asp/billsintro/Re...stbox3=DRAXLJR

No text is up there yet, but yikes this is just what we need, another state messing with the certification process for alt fuel converters. After jumping thru EPA's hoops with our conversions, we already face the following state barriers:

* California requires Air Resources Board approval to sell there. This means another $50k or more alone in aging catalysts in the lab + a bunch of durability data requirements.

* 12 other states won't allow our conversions without California approval. These "CARB states" are CT, MA, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT and WA which represent over half the US population.

* Oklahoma and Texas require testing & licensing of shops and technicians who work on CNG/LPG (I am totally cool with this safety requirement).

I hope Utah doesn't come up with a new barrier in this patchwork-quilt regulatory country of ours. Safety, fine. Emissions requirements that differ from EPA, no way.

Anyone have an advance copy of this bill? I sent an e-mail to Rep Draxler, perhaps he will provide it for us.
    Last edited by John Mitton; 12-23-2009, 12:52 AM.

Re: More red tape? Utah's legislative bill "Certification of Retrofit CNG Vehicles"

John, I haven't seen the text of the bill but I know a few people that have been advising Jack, he has promised to send me the Bill in its final form, I will post it if I get it. I know he is keeping it close to the vest so he doesn't get ambushed,Jim
    [email protected]
    801 427 2284
    blog younkincng.com
    Jim Younkin
    www.younkincng.com

Comment

Re: More red tape? Utah's legislative bill "Certification of Retrofit CNG Vehicles"

The bill is posted now:
      http://le.utah.gov/~2010/htmdoc/hbillhtm/hb0070.htm

I'm not an expert on these matters, but it would appear this proposed legislation would in a nutshell:

1. Provide for Utah's Division of Air Quality to determine if the retrofit meets emissions and OBD anti-tampering standards using testing equipment widely available within the state - in other words your basic 5 gas analyzer found at emission check stations.

2. Not provide tax credits for vehicles converted under the Utah certification (only EPA certification would qualify).

3. Implement safety inspection requirements.

My opinion is #2 and #3 are fine.
      I'm just curious how Utah DEQ would determine #1 as the anti-tampering provision of the Clean Air Act has historically been administered by EPA and California (the Act specifically provides for California to handle its own vehicle emissions control program).

Comment

For the last year I have felt that if there was a way for the state to test a CNG Conversion for safety and emissions that this would be a good way to check all conversions. EPA certified systems get old, develop leaks and go out of tune just like any other vehicle. By testing all conversions equally we have a better chance to keep our highways safe and our environment clean. As we all know any conversion whether is is EPA or not is dependent on the installer and tuner to make sure it is safe and clean. Having the state test all conversions only adds another protection, Jim
        [email protected]
        801 427 2284
        blog younkincng.com
        Jim Younkin
        www.younkincng.com

Comment

Seems to me that the more regulations the State piles on cng conversions, the less incentive there will be to convert, or at least, to be openly compliant (a natural result might be to hide, or remove, equipment for the registration process. To be honest, Ive thought about that approach because Id like to convert an older vehicle that has not been blessed by epa and aftermarket converters.

IMHO, the govt ought to provide incentives, possibly in the form of easier registration/restrictions, to get people to improve emissions. A bad cng vehicle is probably cleaner than most of the normal gas and diesel burners on the road.

Comment

Working...
          X