New ANGI Pumps and refueling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ANGI Pumps and refueling problems

Orem, Utah just had new pumps installed. I had no problem refueling my van (2001 Chevy with the factory conversion) before the new dispensers were installed. The new dispensers are higher-tech and have a digital display showing the pressure as your vehicle fuels. Since they installed the new dispensers, I can only put in about a gallon at a time, and then the dispenser shuts down and the dispenser displays E 6, which I assume is an error code.

Anyone else have this problem (and hopefully a solution)?

Re: New ANGI Pumps and refueling problems

The dispensers are from ANGI, so I updated the thread title to reflect this. Hopefully someone will have info for the opening poster on this error. I just filled there today with my Civic GX -- great station upgrade, thanks Questar!!

Comment

I have filled up there about four times since they put the new pumps in and I ran into that same problem once. I was embarrassed since I had some extended family in the Camry and it was their first time seeing a CNG vehicle get filled. I didn't want that to be their first experience with it.

I called Questar about it.
      Hopefully it was something has since been taken care of.
      www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I filled up there again this morning. First I connected to the 3000 psi side and got to about 1000 psi before it shut off. I moved to the 3600 psi side and got to about 1800 psi before it shut off again. On my third try it ran until it said FULL (the tank was almost full according to the gauge).

While I was fueling, I noticed a couple of other vehicles that didn't seem to have a problem fueling. Could there be something in my fueling system that's causing the new dispensers to error out?

Comment

A E6 error code on a Angi dispencer is "Authorization removed during fill;fill aborted by attendant" sounds like maybe a card reader or electrical problem causing it to set the error code.

Comment

I have seen it happen a couple of times myself. I would not be surprised if it is electrical in nature.

Comment

I asked the ANGI rep about this and got the following:

This indicates loss of authorization during the fill cycle.
              It appears that the consumer(s) may be accidentally "dragging the hose across the dispenser "ON/OFF" handle during or prior to opening the 3-way valve. This can move the handle a few degrees and cause and electrical disconnect between the dispenser and the card reader.
              This issue did not appear at the State fueling sites however the # of hoses and the # of vehicles filling each day are much greater.
              I met with the manufacture and discussed a strategy to change the geometry of the handle switch. This will take a little time to get a field fix, but is being worked on.
              We hope to have something in the near future.

Comment

Thanks. I'll make sure I'm more careful next time I refuel, but it seems strange to me that the problem reoccurs after I reauthorize with the card even when I don't remove the hose from the vehicle. Maybe the pumps are too sensitive, because it happened to the guy next to me with a Civic GX as well.

As I'm thinking about it, the dispensers go on and off while they're measuring the pressure in the tank. The hose tends to jump around when they do that. I'll have to be sure to park in a position where the hose isn't in contact with the pump handle.

Comment

yeah, that's a weird situtaion. I get the code every time around 2700psi or 11gge in my 2004 f150 (used to get 12.5 to 14gge with the old pump, there was no pressure guage so I don't know what pressure I was getting).

My wife has never gotton any code (nor have I in her vehicle) which is a 2000 escalade with an eco conversion.
                  2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
                  2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
                  2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Comment

I started waiting for my card to be approved before starting the pump, and I haven't had the E6 error since.

With the old pumps I would swipe my card and then turn on the dispenser. The fuel would start flowing once my card was approved. It seems like this one would start immediately, and then once my card was approved it would shut off, presumably giving me about one free gge.

That's just what seemed to be happening to me.
                    -Derek
                    www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I have filled using the ANGI pumps at several locations now without any issues, but this weekend I when I tried to fill in Orem, I got an E1 code after about 1/2 a gallon. I thought maybe there was a problem with that hose or dispenser (I have no idea what E1 means), so I switched to the other hose on the same machine. The same thing happened again after about 1/2 a gallon. I pulled up to the next stall, and saw that it was flashing "E6" so I just went on my merry way.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkbenge View Post
                        I have filled using the ANGI pumps at several locations now without any issues, but this weekend I when I tried to fill in Orem, I got an E1 code after about 1/2 a gallon. I thought maybe there was a problem with that hose or dispenser (I have no idea what E1 means), so I switched to the other hose on the same machine. The same thing happened again after about 1/2 a gallon. I pulled up to the next stall, and saw that it was flashing "E6" so I just went on my merry way.
                        I have said this many times on this board, Please call the number posted at the station and report any problems that you encounter. The people that maintain these stations appreciate this help as do all of your fellow NGVer's.

Comment

Originally posted by cngmike View Post
                          I have said this many times on this board, Please call the number posted at the station and report any problems that you encounter. The people that maintain these stations appreciate this help as do all of your fellow NGVer's.
                          Questar is aware of the problem and working on a solution. It is not operator error or the hoses. It only happens during certain temperature ranges with the new pumps. Incidentally, the new Hurricane Station has the new pumps as well and don't have this problem because of warmer temperatures.

Comment

This is definitely NOT temperature related.

I've tried filling up several times in my Tahoe this winter, soon after the ANGI pumps were put in, and received the E6 error every single time.

I read on here several months ago, that it was a temperature related issue, and decided to give up on CNG in my Tahoe until it warmed up. Well, it's plenty warm this afternoon (73 degrees), and I STILL get the E6 error. Tried it two times in a row, and got about 0.3gge each time before it failed.

These pumps SUCK. What a shame that they spent all that money, and they can't even sell CNG. These ANGI pumps are turds.

With Gasoline popping back up over $3.00/gallon, I had hoped to be able to go back to running primarily on CNG. Looks like the only way I'm going to be able to do that, is if I keep making trips down to the Flying J in Springville.

Hopefully they don't break those pumps too!

Comment

The E1 code just means that the compressor was not able to give a complete fill and the pump was expecting to give either 3000 or 3600 but did not (if you only get 2900psi you will get this code, but there is nothing wrong with the pump), so you get this one more often on the 3600 pump as the compressor is not keeping up with demand, even though it is a new high capacity pump. The E6 error is loss of authorization, and I believe it has been fixed as I don't get it any more.
                              2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
                              2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
                              2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X