How to report Wasatch Front polluters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to report Wasatch Front polluters

Like many, I use CNG in large part to help clear our dirty air and it really makes me mad to follow vehicles which spew out pollution. Many of these vehicles are new but the owner has cut off catalytic converters to improve power, or "chipped" the diesel engine controllers. Here is how to report them - you will need to look at the county sticker on the license plate to call the right office.

Weber: 801-546-8860
    Davis: 801-399-7140
    Salt Lake: 801-944-7664
    Utah: 801-851-7680

If you see non-vehicle pollution call Division of Air Quality at 801-536-4000

Re: How to report Wasatch Front polluters

How do i tell if they are in violation of the law?

-tim

Comment

I'm guessing if they have a plume of black smoke coming out of the exhaust they may be in violation.

That is a good question though. Does any visible exhaust make them a violator?
      www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

What about the guys I see on the freeway in their beefed-up F350's? Is it normal for a diesel engine to spew soot whenever it accelerates, or should I assume that these guys have removed their catalytic converters? I just don't know enough to be sure they are breaking the law; I do know that they are polluting much more than your average vehicle.

Comment

I would report them anyway. Let the county decide.

Comment

To Kirk, most of the newer diesel might have light gray haze on heavy acceleration, but black smoke soot indicates a problem.

Calif also has a "tip line" 1-800-cutsmog. You can call in and report smokers or other vehicle pollution related problems (time date place license number problem, etc).

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by kirkbenge View Post
              What about the guys I see on the freeway in their beefed-up F350's? Is it normal for a diesel engine to spew soot whenever it accelerates, or should I assume that these guys have removed their catalytic converters? I just don't know enough to be sure they are breaking the law; I do know that they are polluting much more than your average vehicle.
              Many (not all) new diesel's (2005 and newer) don't have catalytic converters and are not required. The "black smoke" has nothing to do with removing the catalytic converter. As previously stated the reason they "blow" black smoke is because the owners have them "chipped" to improve power and fuel economy. The problem is the chip makers "edge" in particular make a setting for low boost fuel. Basically they can turn the fuel pressure up when there is low boost from the turbo. Now you have unburned fuel spewing out the exhaust. The owners turn this setting up so that I blows black smoke out because they thinks its cool. They can turn this setting off, or down, so the fuel flow is low when there is low boost and it will not blow smoke. The only reason they do this is because they thinks its cool, especially when a cng civic cuts them off, now they will pass the civic spewing smoke in there face. Its ironic because this gives them no more power and hurts the efficiency of the engine, after the chip was installed to improve power and efficiency. I know this because I know a few that do this. I tell them, there went five bucks out your exhaust in the form of black smoke. They think there engine has been "tuned" when really it has been "de-tuned." I will be the first to agree when properly "chipped" a diesel truck has incrediable power unlocked, and can run very clean, but making your engine spew black smoke out and think its fast just tells me you don't know much!

Comment

Thanks for the info dbd, I've always wondered about that. I think i will definitely take more initiative in the future in reporting these guys.

Comment

Working...
                X