Need a catalytic converter for a civic in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a catalytic converter for a civic in Utah

The check engine light is on in my 1998 Honda Civic. The repair shop says it's a catalytic converter problem, and they want to replace it. However, the shop cannot find anyone who has aftermarket parts. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks.

Re: Need a catalytic converter for a civic in Utah

It's an oem only part. you can get one for 20-30% off at one of the Honda dealers selling on the internet , like Bernardi.

Comment

I have gotten used ones before for my sons car. Maybe a little chancy but much cheaper then new. Especially for the one built into the exhaust manifold.

Comment

This seems fishy to me. The catalytic converter doesn't do much at all on a CNG civic, the exhaust is extremely clean already, and all the O2 should already be CO2 even before reaching the converter. Are you sure that it isn't just a problem with your Secondary Oxygen Sensor (SHO2) right after the catalytic converter?

It is also possible that the sensor is working fine, and it is detecting too much O2 in the line, but this would mean that your car either: A- has at least one cylinder misfiring and not burning the O2 ( the computer could misread this as a lean condition), or B- you have a crack in your exhaust line (this would be very loud and obvious).

I would seriously question a bad catalytic converter diagnoses on an NGV vehicle. Probably just a sensor unless you've already ruled all of that out. Check the sensor first, it sure is cheaper to replace.

KIRK

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The scan comes up as a cat converter problem when they do check engine scan. There is a rattling noise that is most noticible after I rev the engine. I don't really notice the noise driving down the freeway, but more when I'm starting and stopping on side streets. The mechanics have said it sounds like the inside of the converter is broken up. These are good mechanics that I trust, and while they have some natural gas training, I wouldn't count them as experts in natural gas repair. Does this add anything to help diagnose it better?

Comment

In answer to Kirk, it is the CAT that rally gives the final cleaning to the exhaust gas. I have watched many vehicles pre and post cat in the 5 gas analyzer both on an off the dyno. Combustion is not perfect not matter what the fuel hence the need for a CAT. I would checkt he O2 (zirconia) sensors on a lab scope to check switch time, especially since the vehicle miliage was not mentioned. We lost the CAT on the '98 at the College at about 6 years and about 12,000 miles -- of course it was abused because of the vehicle's use as a training vehicle for darn near everything.

Exhaust leaks are a good suggestion. The injectors should be check for leakage can push a little rich if the O2's are old and slow on switch time. Mass airflow sensor can also cause a rich problem if it is off and reading the airflow more than actual. Did anyone check the fuel trim?

Larrycng

Comment

Unfortunately an aftermarket CAT does not exists, for a factory OME CAT you are looking at about $979.00 that includes labor. It comes with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. If you have any questions just give us a call.
              Lancer Automotive Group
              3687 South 300 West
              Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

My cat was bad on my 99 GX, my problem was at highway speeds 65+ the car would cut out but run fine at lower speeds. This problem was intermittent, would happen a few times in a month and not happen until a few months later. It took them over a week to figure out the problem.
                BLUE 09 GX

Comment

At $979 for a new OEM cat you would be better off to get a custom exhaust bent and put in a high flow cat from Random Technology. If you do it right it will not sound like a bumblebee either

Just my $0.02

Comment

Working...
                  X