Davis County Emmision Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis County Emmision Testing

I have a 2003 F150, with a Techno-Carb Kit installed. Took it in to Burt Brothers for safety & emmisions and was told they could only do safety and that I would have to go to Davis County Testing for the emmisions.

Burt Bros. gave me a copy of the fax they had received, indicating that all CNG vehicles would need to be tested by the county.

All vehicles 2005 and newer must be EPA certified and installed by a select group of installers. (Three in Utah)

2004 and older vehicles can only have kits from a select group of manufacturers and have been installed by the same select group of installers.

Fortunately Techno-Carb is on the list, but my installer is not. I'm going in on Monday to see what will really happen.

Anyone else have similar experience? What was the result?
    Dave

Re: Davis County Emmision Testing

IceFlyGuy,

Here are a few links to look at.

1. Emission testing in Utah County

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4172

2. Weber County checking for EPA certified conversions

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3137

The last post on this thread mentions the Davis County Emission Testing Facility.

3. Another Utah County CNG Emission thread

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3204

4. Davis County Emission Directive dated June 11, 2008

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2709

I hope this helps.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Attached is the directive from Davis County. I haven't heard of anybody else running into this problem.
      What happend when you tried to get the emissions testing done at Davis County Inspedtion facdility?
      Attached Files
      Robert
      "Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." Henry Ford

Comment

Since my mechanic was on vacation, I just took it in to see what would happen. They failed it on three counts.

1. Needed a tank inspection certificate.
        2. Had two OBD II "Not Ready Monitors" only allowed to have one. (I had cleared a PO174 code that day. Apparently you have to drive a while to reset the monitors.)
        3. Needed an EPA sticker under the hood.

Clearly items 1 & 2 are legitimate. However, reading the recent Davis County document, vehicles 2004 and older only need specific kits and installers. Newer vehicles require the certification. I'll have to discuss that point when I have items 1 & 2 rectified.

Dave

Comment

Re: Davis County Emission Testing

Just a quick update...

Had the tank inspected, passed.

Drove a couple hundred miles on gasoline (painful), resetting one of the two "not ready monitors" The EVAP monitor is still not ready, despite following a specific driving sequence for resetting this monitor.

Went back to Davis County testing center for a recheck.
          They noted the tank inspection sticker, looked at my installation, saw the Technocarb labels on the pressure sensor and the ECU, looked over my original purchase paper work. They checked the OBD, OK'd the one not ready monitor and they gave me my sticker.

No actual tail pipe emission test on gas or CNG. Apparently if it passes OBD II it passes. All is good.

Comment

It might have been nice to know the emissions on both gaso and cng.

If we could build up a data base of emission inspections with the tail pipe readings, that would add to the case that CNG conversions were cleaner than gasoline. Include both the good and the bad with the type of kit and EPA status

I would even do a spread sheet with the numbers and make it available on the site -- but only when backed with a copy of the emission numbers from a copy of the inspection. Email them to me in PDF.

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by IceFlyGuy View Post
              No actual tail pipe emission test on gas or CNG. Apparently if it passes OBD II it passes. All is good.
              IceFlyGuy,

All the state of Utah requires for emissions is that the OBDII system set up by the original "manufacturer" is working properly. If your vehicle does not have the OBDII system, then they run the tail pipe test.

The reason I put manufacturer in quotation marks is because according to the EPA, when someone alters the fuel system or the emisssion system of a vehicle (i.e. aftermarket CNG conversion), they become the "manufacturer" and need to make sure the OBDII system is working properly. This means that no codes are set and that the sensors are doing their job (i.e. no use of emulators).
              Jared.
              Mountain Green, Utah
              2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

What I don't get with all of this is how they are able to set these new requirements (especially with installers) without grandfathering those of us who were early-adopters, as long as we pass safety and emissions tests. As I read through the Davis county guide, I find it interesting that they say 2005 and newer need EPA certification, and 2004 and earlier don't have to be certified, but they only are calling out EPA certified installers and EPA certified kits. I am confused.

Comment

Originally posted by IceFlyGuy View Post
                  Just a quick update...

Had the tank inspected, passed.

Drove a couple hundred miles on gasoline (painful), resetting one of the two "not ready monitors" The EVAP monitor is still not ready, despite following a specific driving sequence for resetting this monitor.

Went back to Davis County testing center for a recheck.
                  They noted the tank inspection sticker, looked at my installation, saw the Technocarb labels on the pressure sensor and the ECU, looked over my original purchase paper work. They checked the OBD, OK'd the one not ready monitor and they gave me my sticker.

How much did it cost to have inspected?

And who did it?

Comment

potostbo,

If you are talking tank inspections, I am CSA certified to do CNG fuel system inspections. Give me a call if you need one done at 435-730-4813. I service from Brigham to Bountiful.
                    Jared.
                    Mountain Green, Utah
                    2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

I had the tank inspected at Dave's Auto Service in Centerville. If I remember correctly, it was about $120. In addition to checking the tank, he inspected the entire installation. The only reccommendation was to reposition my injectors to reduce the tube length from the injector to the manifold. Seemed like a well done inspection.

Comment

Working...
                      X