Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you get asked for your tank inspection when you got your safety inspection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you get asked for your tank inspection when you got your safety inspection?

Okay, this poll is for those Utahans who have had their vehicle safety inspection for 2009-2010. When you took your NGV into the safety inspection shop, did the mechanic ask to see your tank inspection certification?

I am finding out that a lot of mechanic shops are not asking to see this inspection certification.
    Yes
    42.86%
    No
    57.14%
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Re: Did you get asked for your tank inspection when you got your safety inspection?

I wouldn't expect them too.

My local Ford dealer that is authorized to work on CNG claims they had no idea the tanks had to be inspected every 36,000 miles or 3-years.

Comment

Re: Did you get asked for your tank inspection when you got your safety inspection?

I had Lancer Auto do the safety inspection which included the tank as well.

Comment

Davis County is asking for the certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by IceFlyGuy View Post
          Davis County is asking for the certificate.
          I went in to Grease Monkey to have my IM and Safety done, they told me that I need to go to Tech Center in Kaysville to have my IM done but that they could do my Safety. They didn't do a tank inspection and passed me. At that time I had no idea that it was required.
          2003 GMC Sierra K2500 ex-cab, factory bi-fuel
          -Todd

Comment

When I went in to the Kaysville Tech Center, I did not need safety. They only did emissions, but claimed that the tank inspection certificate was required for passing emissions.

Comment

Ford ought to read there own material. I believe the '96 - '97 CNG Crown Vic manual has one page on cylinder inspection.

Larrycng

Comment

Is there an extra cost to have the tank inspected??

Comment

Originally posted by midijeep View Post
                  Is there an extra cost to have the tank inspected??
                  The tank inspection must be done by someone qualified to do so. The qualification criteria is found in CGA C6.4. Here's a basic rundown:

Must meet one of the following:

1. Have 2 years experience inspecting tanks
                  2. Be supervised by someone having 2 years experience inspecting tanks
                  3. Be certified by cylinder manufacturer
                  4. Be certified by a national recognized agency having jurisdiction

The "national recognized agency" is CSA America.

Inspection prices vary by inspector. I charge $50 for a car (Honda GX, Cavalier, Contour), $75 for truck/van. I also charge $25 per additional tank. The inspection done by a CSA certified inspector is an inspection on the high pressure fuel system and not just the tank. I also inspect to make sure that your vehicle conforms to the additional requirements of the UHP safety inspection.
                  Jared.
                  Mountain Green, Utah
                  2003 CNG Cavalier
                  2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X